• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    Been looking at a few and wondering if anyone has any experience. If I got one I would use it for target and it would be my carry gun. Any thoughts?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Yup - many guys will attest to the mak's if it's a decent one go for it!

Russians, East Germans are some of the most highly sought after - they're good pieces.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Been looking at a few and wondering if anyone has any experience. If I got one I would use it for target and it would be my carry gun. Any thoughts?

My dad owns one, and I've shot it quite a few times. Its a fairly accurate little pistol, but I'm just not much of a 9x18 type of guy :n00b: You can usually find them around $250, which I think is well worth it. And they would make a good carry gun, due to the small/slim size.

Just make sure you are buying a "true" makarov, and not a clone. They make handguns that look identical, but parts are not swappable and they are not worth as much. Hope this helps a little.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Fantastic for both purposes! Personally, I don't ever carry ours as it's too beautiful to rash!

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    They are good guns. The 9x18 is no slouch considering all the people who put their lives in the hands of a .380. Super reliable and ammo is usually "Gun shop - internet only" Carry away! East German, Bulgarian or even the Czech CZ82.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I don't have a "Makarov" Makarov, but I have a P64, and it is a 9x18 gun with very similar dimensions and style to the Makarovs.

In that size, the recoil is very manageable, the ammunition is cheap, (I can usually get it for 12 bucks or so a box of 50,) and its small enough to carry in an ankle holster, if you really want to.

Great little guns.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've got a Russian commercial Mak and I enjoy shooting it. Like everyone else has said; recoil is manageable and it's a reliable pistol. I've never bought ammo for it locally though...I bought many rounds for it online and it's going to be a while before I need to get more, but TheDude is probably correct about 9x18 being online or show only. Ammo is cheap and the pistol is so robust that I have no problems feeding it Brown Bear or Silver Bear or any of that Russian ammo. I've also had good luck finding extra mags. I enjoy the pistol enough that I will get another one if the price is right. :yesway:

Obligatory pic :D
    DSC01438.jpg

piercedjp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I've got a Bulgarian Makarov and I love it. I picked it up several years ago when they could be had for under a hundred dollars. They are about $250 or so now, but still well worth the price. Surplus ammo is cheap and readily available (you can get Brown Bear for about $10/50 rounds). It goes bang every time you pull the trigger (no matter what ammo you feed it) and is small enough to carry if you wanted to.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've got two. A Russian w/ adj sights and a Bulgarian with fixed sights. the Bulgarian actually shoots little better. Both are nice little guns. I've had some bad luck with Hornady hollow point ammo though. I just can't stomach buying Hornady anything now due to that crappy stuff.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just to piggyback on everyone's praise over the Makarov, I owned a Bulgarian one about 11 years ago and it was one of the most accurate and reliable little pistols I've ever had. Mine was flawless and it was parkerized. I remember it like it was yesterday, I ended up trading it and a Kel-Tec P11 for a Ruger P90 at Plainfield Shooting Supplies. I wish I still had it though. Back then I think I paid around $150 for it. The price has gone up considerably, but still very much worth it IMHO.

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    +1 for the P-64
    It may not be a true mak but it is an awsome little gun. Extremely accurate and fun to shoot once you get past the d/a pull. I generally shoot mine s/a only.

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Bradis usually has a quantity of 9X18. I bought Wolf and S&B there before. I thought I seen Gander Mountain have 9x18.

PA-63 has some snappy recoil because of the light frame. I am trying to get used to shooting with a glove(web of hand hurts). Very accurate. I can drill almost anything at 15 yards with it. I have a upgraded recoil spring and its still snappy.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Bradis usually has a quantity of 9X18. I bought Wolf and S&B there before. I thought I seen Gander Mountain have 9x18.

PA-63 has some snappy recoil because of the light frame. I am trying to get used to shooting with a glove(web of hand hurts). Very accurate. I can drill almost anything at 15 yards with it. I have a upgraded recoil spring and its still snappy.

I also have a PA-63 and it beats the web of your hand pretty bad. I keep telling guys my 357s dont kick as bad as the little mak knock off.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've owned an East German Mak for around 20 years. It is a very nice gun and the 9x18 round is a decent round for plinking and carry. The hollow points are tough to find sometimes but the ball can usually be found cheap at shows or on line. :yesway:
    IMG_9640.jpg

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I own a P64 which is very reliable, ammo at the 1500 was 8.99 a box of fifty. It is a blowback design and spent casings usually end up 15 feet behind me when shooting. It is a steel framed gun and can be had for $200 or so if you look around.

Top Bottom