• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had a Russian one, adjustable sight, pretty good little pistol. I actually won the plaque in a carry gun league with it. Mine was converted to .380. I got a drop in barrel out of shotgun news and pressed it in myself with a piece of threaded rod and a little piece of water pipe. Nothing else needed changed. That eliminated the ammo problem. It is the only .380 I ever had that I actually shot very much.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've owned three different makes: Chinese, Russian commercial (IJ-70) and Bulgarian. For some reason I can't really put a tag on I could always shoot better with the Bulgie than with either of the others, so it's the one I've kept.

Functional reliability was stellar with all; can't recall having a single malf with any. Quality of the fit, finish and overall workmanship on all was closely similar: not really up there with U.S./W. Euorpean commercial or military standards but perfectly servicable. Finishwise, I'd have to give a slight edge to the Baikal as the polish and bluing were better done.

My Bulgie works perfectly with Hornady JHP's and if I were to put it into my regular CCW rotation, that's the load I'd pick. In my limited semi-scientific testing along with Wolf and Barnaul HP's it yielded markedly more consistent expansion in available media than the others and slightly better average groups as well.

My only real gripe is the tiny, shiney sights. The Baikal had a huge, sort of clunky adjustable rear but I didn't find it to be of much help accuracy-wise as it still had the same teeny little front as the others. Really wish I'd been smart enough to send my Bulgie off to Makarov.com for the upgrade to a set of XS "Express" or white-dot Novak's they offered while they still had it. At the time, the $125 price for the sights and work seemed a bit too pricey compared to what I paid for the pistol ($140 + taxes).

Personally, I like a set of Pierce grips on it. Makes it fit my largish hands better and eliminates the lanyard loop. I'm a southpaw and that little metal doodad digs into my palm uncomfortably in recoil. Not a problem when I shoot it "rightie" though.

For the money, I think they're hard to match, valuewise. It's not as compact or as powerful as the new generation of 9x19 carry weapons, sure, but a really nice one can be had for half the money or less. And (for me anyway) it's a whole lot easier to learn to shoot precisely with than the truly teensie .380's like the LCP and P3AT are.

In a low-budget SD/HD pistol one can spend as much or more money and still do a whole lot worse, IMO.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I'm aware that it's often referred to as a "Makarov" but it's really not.. The CZ-82 is a fine firearm firing the 9x18mm Makarov cartridge. In fact if you look up some YouTube videos comparion an East German Makarov to a CZ-82, the CZ-82 was favored by the viewer. I don't have a link; and don't want to choke up work's bandwidth.

Still waiting to find a better deal on one. I've seen good condition ones sell for $179; and I'm not paying $279 for one that looks like it's been to hell and back. I'm just picky that way :)

Check out CDNN Sports, Inc. if a CZ-82 is something of your fancy, they've got some cheap ones in stock.

And if you're concerned with interchangability / aftermarket support - the CZ-83 is VERY CLOSE to the CZ-82. Most parts are interchangeable. Hope this helps :) The CZ-82 can accept Night Sights from that of a CZ-75/CZ-83. Really hope that helps, it helped me to decide that I do definitely want one some day

Top Bottom