• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've looked into the Serbu, but it's just way too much money. Same with that Howdah which is also pretty darn cool.

I did some measuring on a double barrel in my collection. Not going to cut it up for collector's reasons, but a 26 inch with pistol grip would probably be a bit unwieldy.

Do I have the law right? If barrel is over 18 inches, and the OAL is over 26 inches, can I legally cut the stock to a pistol grip? Still would be neat looking firearm if a bit heavy. This is all for the novelty of it really so it isn't a big deal. I suppose this saves me the tax.

How mechanically inclined are you? Have access to metal-working machines? lathe / mill?

IF you can do the work yourself, it'll cost you less money.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    main-qimg-5be4cbe6e4b6bbed77e4e40c16ac5fd6

I lol'd a little. I bet it patterns great.
    What is this even from? The shot must practically bounce off of anything it hits.

You can still make a "sawed off" and keep it legal. A "sawed off" is just where you saw off the original barrel to a shorter length. This is something you can do yourself. I did a single shot not to long ago, still keeping it legal.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...5870-gunsmithing_stevens_shotgun_project.html
    This is what's been tossing through my head. Can it be held with one hand with any ease?

I've got a bit of machining knowledge and I do have access to the tools. Maybe I could look into building a shorty myself. A shame there aren't virgin double barrel receivers to be found anywhere. So the difference between SBS and AOW is if there was originally a stock on the receiver? Gotta love US law.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    This is what's been tossing through my head. Can it be held with one hand with any ease?

Can be held very easily one handed and is pretty light while still giving you the option to shoulder fire it. I have even shot it one handed (bird shot and turkey shot). Haven't found the guts to fire 00buck or slugs through it one handed. Not sure where you're located but if you wanted to get hands on with it let me know.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    CVA used to make a double barreled 12 gauge blackpowder for much cheaper.

This is an old auction but gives you an idea of what it is. People steer clear of CVA rifles because of the history of guys getting a breech plug in the face. I'd be less concerned about that with a shotgun.

Item:8859390 CVA Double Barrel 12 ga. Muzzleloading Shotgun VG For Sale at GunAuction.com

This being said, I seem to recall a case where a felon was caught with a blackpowder rifle in Indiana and was arrested because even though Federal law doesn't consider blackpowder to be a "firearm", Indiana state law does. If Indiana state law considers this black powder shotgun to be a "firearm" for purposes of designating it a SBS when cut down, you may have a problem. If it were me, I'd get a clarification from someone with more authority than me. Honestly though, if it were me, the reality is I'd just buy once, cry once and get a smoothbore Howdah pistol (probably much cheaper on the used market). I have handled this particular gun at the Cabela's in Hammond a year or so ago when they had a returned one in the bargain cave and it was a beauty. I was just poor at the time. Haven't stopped thinking about it though.....

scattergunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Length of barrel does not change chamber pressure. It does decrease velocity, but even then that depends on how short and burn rate of the powder. I was looking at some old books that I have on barrel lengths, and the relationship between velocity and barrel length is a curve. So the difference between a 30" and 28" barrel is less than a 24" and 22" barrel, because the powder is still burning. I would think that a minimum length barrel would also have a lot of muzzle flash also.

762minigun

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indianapolis SS BG
    As mention earlier AOW. The Serbu looks cool. I have been thinking about getting one. I don't think you can just build one from a stock gun.

Yes you can. You do it just like Mark Serbu did it.
    You have to start with a host that is originally equipped with one off these..
    Remington makes a pistol grip only version. Hard part is finding one.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just for clarification. I have a 500 I bought 20 years ago. It came with the 26" and 18 1/2" barrels, a standard stock and a pistol grip. I can put the pistol grip and the 18 1/2" barrel on and it will NOT be an NFA. Right?

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    By legal definition I think with the 18 1/2 barrel and a pistol grip it's classified as a "handgun". Or that's the way I've seen them defined at gun shops when being sold in that configuration and you must be 21 to purchase. But with the stock it's considered a long gun.

All of it seems counterintuitive if you ask me. :D

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Just for clarification. I have a 500 I bought 20 years ago. It came with the 26" and 18 1/2" barrels, a standard stock and a pistol grip. I can put the pistol grip and the 18 1/2" barrel on and it will NOT be an NFA. Right?

Right. The category AOW (Any Other Weapon) is really any other weapon that is concealable based on the barrel length and overall length.

Last edited:

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Um, what? :dunno:

There are 6 categories of NFA firearms. Any firearm that doesn't fall under one of the five other categories but can be concealed falls under the All Other Weapons category. I mentioned it because a pistol grip shotgun with an 18+" barrel is not a shotgun because it lacks a stock, but it doesn't fall under the AOW category either because it isn't capable of being concealed. Besides short barreled, pistol grip shotguns AOW includes things like pen guns and cane guns, which can be concealed on your person.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Do what now? :dunno:

It must have NEVER had a stock attached. Original barrel length is irrelevant. It would be $200 on a form 1 "manufacturing an AOW".

This is one of the John Norrell DB20 AOW shotguns he built and sold between 1985-1986 (per the references). They were built from virgin receivers and this one initially came from one of John Norrell staff back then, or so the story goes from this end. Only $5 transfer tax as already was an AOW.

I kept the older AOW for myself:

IthacaAutoandBurglar.jpg

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    This is one of the John Norrell DB20 AOW shotguns he built and sold between 1985-1986 (per the references). They were built from virgin receivers and this one initially came from one of John Norrell staff back then, or so the story goes from this end. Only $5 transfer tax as already was an AOW.

I kept the older AOW for myself:

IthacaAutoandBurglar.jpg
    I'm really surprised there aren't any manufacturers offering something like this right now. I'm sure it would be expensive though, but still.

Top Bottom