• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I have my gift cards for Bass Pro Shop and on their site, they have this for about 240. Anyone have any experience with it? I am looking for a pocket pistol as close to the $200 range without getting a Jennings or Jiminez. Any other suggestions?

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I have the TCP and it's fine. I won't replace it, but I don't necessarily recommend it, either. If you want something that size, I'd go with the LCP instead.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I had one and sold it at a loss. I wouldn't touch another Taurus product. PM me if you want more.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Search function, search function, search.

My TCP 738 has been PERFECT.

I gave my Dad crap when he bought his. Then I shot it and compared it to the LCP. TCP was better in every way except "name". It is much more pleasant to shoot than the Ruger LCP.

It is not as good as my Sig P238 but it cost less than half as much.

The TCP is the easiest pistol to pocket carry that I've ever tried.

Search function.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I had one and liked it and it always worked. Had a decent trigger also. Better than the Keltec and the LCP in my opinion. The New LCP might be a little better though. Jim

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My son started with the Ruger .380. It did not work. He sold it and bought the TCP. It had problems so he sold it to me, as he did not have time to deal with Taurus on the warranty. I sent it back to Taurus but it was returned with the problem unresolved. I arranged for a local guy to work on it. It now works perfectly. I have learned that the A and B series had problems, but these were resolved in the C and D series. Mine now works fine. Those I have talk to about the TCP indicate the new models (D and later on the serial number) are working fine.

If I was to buy another .380, I would go with Taurus.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Mine has been perfect through a couple hundred rounds of FMJ and hollow point ammo. No issues of any kind.
    Recoil is for me, very stout. I put a set of Tractiongrips on it, and they made a world of difference.
    If you get one, clean it before you use it. When you get it, it will have enough oil on it, to lubricate a hundred pistols.
    I have three Taurus products. Combined, they have thousands of trouble free rounds through them.
    Maybe I just got lucky.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I have three Taurus products. Combined, they have thousands of trouble free rounds through them.
    Maybe I just got lucky.
    That's the thing. Taurus doesn't make trash pistols, by any means. However, their Quality Control isn't up to the standard many of us are used to in modern guns. You can see it on any gun forum when Tauri come up - tons of people saying they've been trouble free alongside a not-inconsiderable number of people saying they had nothing BUT trouble.

So if you buy a Tauris pistol, you have to be willing to accept that risk that YOU might be the unlucky one who gets gun made on Friday afternoon, so to speak. You have to be willing to send it back to be fixed if necessary AND be able to trust it again afterwards. If you're the kind of person who will never trust a gun that has failed you, don't take the risk. If you're willing to accept those conditions, you can get a good bargain with Taurus, IMO.

My TCP has been back to Taurus two times, and I really need to send it back a third time but the problem now (failure to lock back unless an empty magazine is installed) doesn't compromise safety or firing function and it's a PITA so I haven't gotten around to it yet.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    TCP family here. My BUG and her primary, no complaints or concerns whatsoever. The lifetime warranty was a selling point. The size and quality of construction cinched it.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Thanks for all the comments. I would love to go for a glock 42 but don't have the money so this looks like a decent compromise for the money

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    ROC....I love my TCP and it works flawlessly. It my EDC next to my XD .40. I did a short write up several months back which you may find by doing a search. Serial numbers 6k and above have fixed the problems TCP had in the past. I enjoy in so much I spend a lot of time reloading for it. Over 1000 rounds with no issues. I painted the slide for ****s and grins and hope to have it ceracoated. See link below.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/307698-taurus-tcp-380-a.html

Last edited:

85s10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I purchased a Taurus 738 TCP 380 about a year ago and have been absolutely happy with it. Not one misfire or jam with various ammo brands. I would not trade it for anything in that class. $199 at Big R this week. Great deal.

TacticAll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have 1 and bought my son 1

I have my gift cards for Bass Pro Shop and on their site, they have this for about 240. Anyone have any experience with it? I am looking for a pocket pistol as close to the $200 range without getting a Jennings or Jiminez. Any other suggestions?

I've had a TCP for a couple of years and liked it enough to buy another one for my son. The slide was a little stiff in the beginning but loosened up nice after 100 rounds or so. Also needed to adjust the top of the mags to correct a small FTF issue. My son has had zero problems with his.

For $200 bucks I highly recommend it for the following:
    1. It's $200 bucks
    2. It's accurate
    3. It's small enough that I carry it everyday and everywhere!

i also like the last shot hold open feature.

Now ow just go get it, you will like it and you'll carry it!

phisch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    West Lafayette
    I like mine. ~150 rounds with no issues. I think it's fun to shoot, too. D Series.

Attachments

• bba2bc9b-2621-4d1b-87d9-429659e2d3b0_zpsfdb363c5.jpg
      bba2bc9b-2621-4d1b-87d9-429659e2d3b0_zpsfdb363c5.jpg
      124.3 KB · Views: 4
    Last edited:

85s10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    These are all great to hear. The 738 TCP had a lot of trouble a couple years ago but the newer ones are great. I did have some trouble with an aftermarket clip but adjusted the "fingers" at the top by straightening them just a tad and works flawlessly ever since.

Top Bottom