Anyone have experience with Mark Penrod or Penrod precision? Other suggestion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDS JIN

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Griffith
    Hello guys, Does anyone have any experience with Mark Penrod? Please tell more details about it such as what kind of gunsmith work you did, price and time. thanks very much!!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Coworkers and friends have had Penrod built total rifles, rebarrel existing, and one had his #1 "timed".
    All very happy customers.
    Never heard anything negative.
    If I have a Ruger #1 redone in .35 Rem............it will be built there.

BDS JIN

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Griffith
    Coworkers and friends have had Penrod built total rifles, rebarrel existing, and one had his #1 "timed".
    All very happy customers.
    Never heard anything negative.
    If I have a Ruger #1 redone in .35 Rem............it will be built there.

Thanks Hookeye, Could you introduce any INGOer to me which have experience with Mark penrod, thanks very much.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Penrod is a go, A friend had a 300 Ultra built but he wanted the walls a little straighter to make a 300 Ultra boogyman, and he cut dies for the rifle at the same time.

BDS JIN

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Griffith
    Penrod is a go, A friend had a 300 Ultra built but he wanted the walls a little straighter to make a 300 Ultra boogyman, and he cut dies for the rifle at the same time.

Hello x10, Thanks for reply, could you ask your friend about the cost and time? thanks very much!

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I had a .358 WSSM 1.8" built by Mark this year. IIRC I shipped him the gun in early January and had it back finished sometime in June, exactly when he said it would arrive. This was the timeline with a barrel he had on hand, I elected not to wait the extra 6 months for him to acquire the exact barrel I would have chosen. He is busy to calls were short, professional, and to the point, but he answered all of my questions and the gun I received is exactly what I requested at the price we agreed upon.

Even though I have not yet acquired the after-market stock the barreled action deserves, the gun meets my accuracy expectations and the workmanship is top-notch. I would recommend Mark to anyone. He inquired if I had the correct shell holder to go with the custom dies he sold me and when I did not he included one.

As for price, I don't want to get into specifics but I will say his price was fully reasonable for chambering, bluing, and installing a Savage barrel. I would have preferred to acquire a chambered barrel and install it myself but he does not do that. BFG Firearms were the only company I could find that would sell a pre-fit chambered Savage barrel in such a wildcat, and the owner of that company could provide no timeline on their ability to acquire more barrels and were kind enough to direct me to Mark who had one (so BFG would get my business again as well).

Remember that the timeline will include when you get in the gunsmith's queue, as well as time to acquire components in the current market. If you are going to dictate exactly what barrel you want, don't be surprised it the timeline quoted is over a year because the current wait time on many barrels is >6 months.

BDS JIN

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Griffith
    I had a .358 WSSM 1.8" built by Mark this year. IIRC I shipped him the gun in early January and had it back finished sometime in June, exactly when he said it would arrive. This was the timeline with a barrel he had on hand, I elected not to wait the extra 6 months for him to acquire the exact barrel I would have chosen. He is busy to calls were short, professional, and to the point, but he answered all of my questions and the gun I received is exactly what I requested at the price we agreed upon.

Even though I have not yet acquired the after-market stock the barreled action deserves, the gun meets my accuracy expectations and the workmanship is top-notch. I would recommend Mark to anyone. He inquired if I had the correct shell holder to go with the custom dies he sold me and when I did not he included one.

As for price, I don't want to get into specifics but I will say his price was fully reasonable for chambering, bluing, and installing a Savage barrel. I would have preferred to acquire a chambered barrel and install it myself but he does not do that. BFG Firearms were the only company I could find that would sell a pre-fit chambered Savage barrel in such a wildcat, and the owner of that company could provide no timeline on their ability to acquire more barrels and were kind enough to direct me to Mark who had one (so BFG would get my business again as well).

Remember that the timeline will include when you get in the gunsmith's queue, as well as time to acquire components in the current market. If you are going to dictate exactly what barrel you want, don't be surprised it the timeline quoted is over a year because the current wait time on many barrels is >6 months.

Thanks very much spaniel, I made appointment with Mark this March, and will meet with him next month with everything ready to go. the only reason I post the question is just want to make sure that I found the right guy for my build.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Thanks very much spaniel, I made appointment with Mark this March, and will meet with him next month with everything ready to go. the only reason I post the question is just want to make sure that I found the right guy for my build.

No problem, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

MJTAA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2021
    LaPorte, IN
    Hello guys, Does anyone have any experience with Mark Penrod? Please tell more details about it such as what kind of gunsmith work you did, price and time. thanks very much!!
    I was fortunate to acquire a Penrod custom rifle from a friend's estate, that ha previously belonged to another friend of mine. This rifle is built on a Remington 700 short action, with a Krieger fluted barrel, and a McMillan stock. I originally was interested in it in 2015, when my one friend died who owned it, but missed it. I now own it since my other friend is departed. Very fine workmanship, excellent shooter! Just now loading up for Spring shooting. Very pleased to be owner of such a great gunsmith's product! I also hope to meet Mark someday.
    MJT/MJTAA
    LaPorte, IN

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Basically a 9 yr old thread but the response is the same. I recently bought a Penrod built 6br from a gentleman who had it built but didn't shoot it much. Penrod built his reputation by making quality firearms. But to add to the thread, I never heard bad things about him. Ditto for 'smiths like Ralph Bond at Bloomington, Boyd Carpenter in Virginia, and Apache Machine in North Carolina.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I was fortunate to acquire a Penrod custom rifle from a friend's estate, that ha previously belonged to another friend of mine. This rifle is built on a Remington 700 short action, with a Krieger fluted barrel, and a McMillan stock. I originally was interested in it in 2015, when my one friend died who owned it, but missed it. I now own it since my other friend is departed. Very fine workmanship, excellent shooter! Just now loading up for Spring shooting. Very pleased to be owner of such a great gunsmith's product! I also hope to meet Mark someday.
    MJT/MJTAA
    LaPorte, IN
    Dude, you can't just stop there...need caliber, twist, neck diameter if it's a turned neck chamber, trigger pull, etc.....

CCPLuvr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Elkhart
    Mark has rebarreled IIRC 5 rifles for me. This always included truing the action, trigger work and bedding. You will struggle to find a finer rifle builder in this country... we're blessed to have someone of that caliber here in Indiana.

Regarding time and price I always found Mark to be faster at a reasonable price. You can't rush quality, it's always worth the wait.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom