Anyone have eyes on small pistol primers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Lol I've done it for over 15 years now. There really isn't much difference between the two if any.

I starting pulling a press handle over 50 years ago with my GFather and Father, they both bought two primers. Large and small...
    Like a lot of things, that were never a problem until Al Gore invented the internet...

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    If you can't find SPP buy SRP they work fine. In fact I don't even buy SPP anymore. Unless there isn't any SRP.

I actually was just told this last weekend. The guy at Hillside said the same thing. I was curious if it would work. I measured the stuff I have on hand. CCI SPP measured. 0015" larger than WSR. Not sure how much of a difference that would make.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I actually was just told this last weekend. The guy at Hillside said the same thing. I was curious if it would work. I measured the stuff I have on hand. CCI SPP measured. 0015" larger than WSR. Not sure how much of a difference that would make.

Measure a bunch of primer pockets... The biggest difference is the cup thickness.
    Some lite trigger/hammer springs might not reliably pop off some small rifle primers in handgun rounds. Same with LRP's in some fine tuned handguns.
    But to most of the world it works well.

Plus a primer has a taper, if it didn't they would not seal in the gas's when fired and would be a ***** to seat or be a sloppy fit.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Measure a bunch of primer pockets... The biggest difference is the cup thickness.
    Some lite trigger/hammer springs might not reliably pop off some small rifle primers in handgun rounds. Same with LRP's in some fine tuned handguns.
    But to most of the world it works well.

Plus a primer has a taper, if it didn't they would not seal in the gas's when fired and would be a ***** to seat or be a sloppy fit.

Do you need to make sure the SRP isn't seated as deeply as you would a SPP? Just wondering if you were to seat it normally, if it would be too deep? I realize .0015" is miniscule. Just curious.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I starting pulling a press handle over 50 years ago with my GFather and Father, they both bought two primers. Large and small...
    Like a lot of things, that were never a problem until Al Gore invented the internet...

I started reloading in 1992. I bought a 7.7 jap and couldn't find any ammunition. So a lgs also a reloader told me to use 30 06 cases resize them in the 7.7 dies and trim to length. It worked great. 28 years ago. The last 15 years I finally figured out I can use small rifle primers for pistol. So far i have not had a light strikes on primer nor over pressure problems. Other than when I had a weak spring or went +p loading.

Now I reload everything but rimfire.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Been looking for them too! Only ones i can pretty much find are on GunBroker but i am not paying $140 per box. F@%!ing price galgers! I believe what goes around comes around. I can see marking them up and i would pay $50-$60 per box, but not $140! Ridiculous!

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Been looking for them too! Only ones i can pretty much find are on GunBroker but i am not paying $140 per box. F@%!ing price galgers! I believe what goes around comes around. I can see marking them up and i would pay $50-$60 per box, but not $140! Ridiculous!

I hope that includes shipping!

I understand prices going up due to demand, but that's asinine.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

And THIS is why I posted this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...paredness/483679-ok-sell-now-am-i-gouger.html

If they are not worth that to you, don't buy them. Clearly they are worth it to someone.

I thought gun people tended to be all about free enterprise and all that.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    And THIS is why I posted this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...paredness/483679-ok-sell-now-am-i-gouger.html

If they are not worth that to you, don't buy them. Clearly they are worth it to someone.

I thought gun people tended to be all about free enterprise and all that.

I am all about free enterprise and if you want to sell a sleeve of 5K small pistol primers for $220, just let me know! The people on GunBroker are selling 5K for a "BUY IT NOW" price of $700 and you still pay shipping. That would be a lot more tha %6-%7 mark up for intrest. I just don't understand why they are marked up so high, but people are panic buying them. Just glad I have plenty in my safe but would feel more comfortable with 5K more smal pistol primers on the shelf. I have 20K small rifle and i guess i could always use some of those in my pistol loads if needed.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Do you need to make sure the SRP isn't seated as deeply as you would a SPP? Just wondering if you were to seat it normally, if it would be too deep? I realize .0015" is miniscule. Just curious.

Seat them all the way, you need to set the anvil to arm the primer. That happens as the primer is being seated.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Haven’t seen any online or in shops but did find 1800 for 50 bucks semi-locally on AL. Definitely worth the trip and Almost gives me enough time load what components i have sitting in shop

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Apparently they aren’t hard to find.... there is a 5k count sleeve in the classifieds right now for $500. Just an opportunistic INGO member trying to make a buck off his fellow INGOers.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Appears that when you buy used guns at new gun prices they become expensive to feed.

PS,
    There's an old saying that if you want something to go away, stop buying it.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I saw that. Had to reread it a couple times to make sure I didn’t miss a decimal point or an extra zero and it was 50000. Hell I’d pay double normal price for them but over triple normal price is a little much.

Apparently they aren’t hard to find.... there is a 5k count sleeve in the classifieds right now for $500. Just an opportunistic INGO member trying to make a buck off his fellow INGOers.

Top Bottom