Anyone have tips on how to survive SHTF with children?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    As my screen name would imply I have kids, four of them to be specific. No wife, got rid of that crazy b*tch a few years back. So, here's my experiences:
    1) Feed the kids what you stock. My children used to DESPISE spam, then I started mixing it with mac & cheese, guess what, they love it. They now eat vienna sausages as a snack. Various beans with dinner all the time, my oldest even knows by heart the proper ratios of H2O to beans to soak them. They also routinely ask me if we need more canned food or beans when we're at the grocery store.
    2) Take them camping.....LOTS. I take my kids camping probably 8 or 9 times every summer, they practice foraging dry wood, setting up tents, peeing behind bushes (took the girls a bit to get used to that) It also gets them used to "hiking" while carrying supplies
    3) Teach them to shoot. My oldest can drill the wings off a gnat with her .22, my twins and my youngest know how to safely handle a weapon, and can, with help, fire the 10/22
    4) Talk with them, not in big scary TEOTWAWKI type stuff but ask if they have any friends who's parent's are out of work, do the kids complain about not getting enough to eat? Keep it low key, but get them used to the idea of prepping without scaring them.
    5) Teach them to KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT!!! My kids know not to talk to anyone about our preps.

Remember with kids you've got to keep things fun, or else they're going to get upset and not learn. While everyone else here is trying to say having a family is a handicap I think they're a major advantage. I've got a 5 man team (well, 1 man, 2 boys, 2 girls lol) from day one, we already know each other, we already trust each other implicitly. Sure, I gotta put back more food than the single guy, but the advantages far out weigh the drawbacks.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Hi. I'm 25 years old. My girlfriend is 21, pregnant, and in a wheel chair. She also has a 1 year old who I am rasing as my own. My question is, does anybody have tips on surviving a situation where SHTF? Ive grown up around weapons and know quite a bit about survival on my own, but throwing in the other factors I am at a loss.
    You'll have to change your plans as the kiddo ages. Right now have enough supplies on hand to care for it. Formula, diapers (cloth), etc. Your girlfriend is another matter entirely. You'll need a stock of whatever is necessary for her, too. Meds, spare parts for her chair probably wouldn't be a bad idea or a spare chair, etc. Add in food and water for you and her, too. A few cases of gallon water bottles can go a long way. There's no doubt you have a longer row to hoe than some others, but you can work through it. A food mill would probably be a good investment, too. It will allow you to turn adult foods into baby foods for the next year or so. They're also good for making adult foods, too. Lots of things you can do.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Kids would be my un-doing. It would be near impossible to pass on an abandoned child even if sick or injured. Adults, well that is another story. Kids, tough to say and hard on the heart. Could you save them all.................:dunno:

Exactly right! But you can try to save all that you can. In my opinion children should be the first to eat!

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Kids would be my un-doing. It would be near impossible to pass on an abandoned child even if sick or injured. Adults, well that is another story. Kids, tough to say and hard on the heart. Could you save them all.................:dunno:

Yup...

But don't be afraid to let the little burgers get hurt though. In SHTF, there are a lot of skills that can only be learned by doing....

I agree, they will have to be helpers so they can learn what it will take for their advancement!

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County

Yup...

But don't be afraid to let the little burgers get hurt though. In SHTF, there are a lot of skills that can only be learned by doing....

I agree, they will have to be helpers so they can learn what it will take for their advancement!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I know it's just a movie but what comes to mind here is the scene from "The Patriot" where Mel Gibson and his two young sons are working as a team to take out the British squad. I was put to work in the house when I was 8 as I recall and put to work in my dad's construction company when I was 12. I taught teenagers survival skills that were about 15. Seems to me that at a certain age kids are a great asset if you've raised them right.

To the OP, right now with a 1 year old and a baby on the way your job is to create a bug in situation for your clan. You don't sound very mobile in your current situation. You'll probably be waiting stuff out. If I were in your situation, I'd find a very cheap house and try to buy it outright (If you need to spend a year in a second job to get the money - do it.) I have bought houses in this current market as cheap as $8,000.00. That's cheaper than a car - very doable. Stock the house with supplies and prep it as a bug in location. Following this, you're just going to have to make friends. Lots of friends. People you can call on for a favor if you have to move. Make friends through church and local hunting clubs. You've taken on a lot of responsibility for a 25 year old :yesway: and it won't be an easy path but if you can get support, that's your best bet.

T-Bolt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Never regard family as a handicap. Without them who would you be? Children can be taught great skills and sometimes may even surprise you. My 9 yo can hit a 3" group all day long from 100 yards. Turn off the TV and teach your kids skills. We will not be the first people to hit hard times and we won't be the last.

As for the kids, just prep. Whatever you can't live without start buying extra.

Decide now that your will never lose your humanity!

We are Americans first and foremost. Whatever happens we will survive and have to live with our decisions. Don't fall into the mindset of shoot first ask questions later. Protect your family but don't lose yourself.

H3LLFIRE2607

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    All of you have made very good points.

I do honestly see my kids (when they grow up) being a very important asset if things break out. But as said earlier I will most likely try to find a suitable location for my family and maybe a few close friends or family members to bug in.

Thanks to everyone who posted. Feel free to keep this going though. I am sure I am not the only person that this can help.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have done some thinking and really my only choice is that I am going to have to kill the GF and kids and eat them.... jk

Honestly though, I realize I am screwed. Our only real option is to bug in. We are renting a home, but do to the twins coming we are moving into an apartment within the year. We know a few people out there and I thought about asking them if they would be willing to join together and attempt to bug in as a group. Said people have things stocked up as well, but I don't know for sure if they believe how close we are to things falling apart.

My truck broke down last winter, so I do not have transportation. I have stored up some canned goods and some oats.

Also, what is grey man tactic?

@fatduk1963, thanks for the idea. she flinches a lot, but i think with a 9mm and some good range time she would do just fine holding her own in that regard.

I think getting the transportation up and reliable would be first on my list.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Never regard family as a handicap. Without them who would you be? Children can be taught great skills and sometimes may even surprise you. My 9 yo can hit a 3" group all day long from 100 yards. Turn off the TV and teach your kids skills. We will not be the first people to hit hard times and we won't be the last.

As for the kids, just prep. Whatever you can't live without start buying extra.

Decide now that your will never lose your humanity!

We are Americans first and foremost. Whatever happens we will survive and have to live with our decisions. Don't fall into the mindset of shoot first ask questions later. Protect your family but don't lose yourself.
    Family is a Handicap though...
    Family is also a Burden...

If you do not factor in the ways your Family and/or Children are both a Burden and a Handicap you are playing at a fool.
    For an example, I know I can cover 40+ miles a day with a 100 pound pack for weeks. My wife would be lucky to cover 20 miles with no pack.

You can worry about losing your Humanity and maintaining your Morals. I'll worry about keeping me and mine secure and alive...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Family is a Handicap though...
    Family is also a Burden...

If you do not factor in the ways your Family and/or Children are both a Burden and a Handicap you are playing at a fool.
    For an example, I know I can cover 40+ miles a day with a 100 pound pack for weeks. My wife would be lucky to cover 20 miles with no pack.

You can worry about losing your Humanity and maintaining your Morals. I'll worry about keeping me and mine secure and alive...

To each their own way. I wish to be able to travel in that fashion but those days have come and gone. Wife has medical issues and can not walk a mile with out resting.
    As to my humanity, I know of it, I will use it to stay sane but it would be a serious mistake to think it can not be put away quickly to deal with any situation regarding my family.
    Family would be a burden but if properly trained and willing they could be very helpful.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    .....M44's are cheap and I'm sure by the time they are 5 or 6 they can handle them.

Take it in steps. Plan for a week, then two weeks and work your way up to a month of what you will need. Think of three ways to do each task or need. Try at least to have two ways of doing tasks, then work up to the third for each.

Think it over and take your time.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    It's an advantage: more bullets flying at looters and perps, and since the Dept of Labor won't be able to bug you... you'll have some good little farmer children that can help provide sustenance. ...not to mention additional help taking turns with security watch.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    One problem I've run into w/ the kids is stocking back extra clothes. I've got extra boots for me, some extra jeans etc, but the darn kids keep growing, it's not financially practical for me to put back a pair of boots for one of the kids when they'll have outgrown that size in a month's time. Unfortunately this has led me to the conclusion that the only options for me will be to 1) Hit wally world with my emergency CC as things go bad and buy as much clothing in varying sizes as I can (the emergency CC has a 20k limit, so that should be allot lol) 2) Acquire what I need for my kids after things go poopy by whatever means necessary.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One problem I've run into w/ the kids is stocking back extra clothes. I've got extra boots for me, some extra jeans etc, but the darn kids keep growing, it's not financially practical for me to put back a pair of boots for one of the kids when they'll have outgrown that size in a month's time. Unfortunately this has led me to the conclusion that the only options for me will be to 1) Hit wally world with my emergency CC as things go bad and buy as much clothing in varying sizes as I can (the emergency CC has a 20k limit, so that should be allot lol) 2) Acquire what I need for my kids after things go poopy by whatever means necessary.....

Poopy...sounds like a Dad of four

If you can make it out of Wally with your goods intact.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    How to survive with children?
    Navy_OCS_15_97_DI_Introduction.jpg

INTENSITY DISCIPLINE :drill:

Top Bottom