Anyone here mess around with flipping a balisong?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've had a Benchmade 42 for a few years now. Learned some beginner moves here and there.

Looking into trying it more lately. Ordered a cheap crappy trainer on Amazon (too cheap)... now ordering a BBBarfly to use as a trainer. Or just find a decent pair of cut-resistant thin gloves...

Do you flip? Ever have any bad accidents? Would you consider yourself beginner/advanced/expert?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yeah I also have a Benchmade 42. A few years ago I used to flip it fairly often and knew a few moves, but one day while watching tv and flipping I dropped the knife and it stuck in my left thigh. It was deep enough that the knife stood on its own. I don't really play with it anymore.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I too used to have a model 42 and got good at easy flips. The manipulation some people can do with a balisong is amazing.

I then found out how much 42s were going for so I stopped playing with it and sold it to help pay for a tux rental for a friend's wedding.

Worst I ever did was grab the wrong handle and instead of the spine contacting my hand, the edge did. Push cut a little, didn't bleed if I remember right

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just an FYI on the 42 - The value has skyrocketed. Highly sought after... going for $400-500 right now.

If you still have them, take care of them.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I haven't flipped for a while but have had one for 30 years. Tape the blade when you practice.

I didn't flip with any force at all but rolled one over and made the handles click sending knife lady into a frenzy at a Indy 1500.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I haven't flipped for a while but have had one for 30 years. Tape the blade when you practice.

I didn't flip with any force at all but rolled one over and made the handles click sending knife lady into a frenzy at a Indy 1500.

We have had a few bad accidents at shows relating to the handling of Balisongs. One guy sunk the blade into his hand and ended up having to leave the show to go to the hospital. Another guy was flipping, and it left his hand and went flying across the room....thank God it didn't hit anybody. We don't mind people checking out the Balisongs we carry, but we ask that you do not flip them, because we do not know that individual's level of expertise. When someone ignores that request, and takes it upon themselves to go ahead and start flipping, something will be said.

I don't see our policy/request being any different than the guys/gals at the shows that sell firearms that request that you don't dry fire, or rack the slides on their guns.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, about this topic . . .

I have never sustained a serious injury from this activity. Part of that is because I always made sure I knew which side the latch was with respect to the sharp side of the blade for a given knife and of the knives I had with edges on both sides, I would dull one side. Part of that is because I used to have better coordination than I do now, and I was less retarded. Part of it was that I never tried any releases or tosses.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, about this topic . . .

I have never sustained a serious injury from this activity. Part of that is because I always made sure I knew which side the latch was with respect to the sharp side of the blade for a given knife and of the knives I had with edges on both sides, I would dull one side. Part of that is because I used to have better coordination than I do now, and I was less retarded. Part of it was that I never tried any releases or tosses.

I'd imagine accidents increase significantly when you start incorporating tosses.

You would have to quickly train yourself to not lunge after your knife if you missed a catch and it started falling. I made that mistake with a sword... reached out to grab it real quick like an idiot... point stabbed halfway into my palm.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Got quite good at flipping them when I was in high school through my early 20s. Decided that for the uses I have for blades they weren't real practical. I never injured myself with one, but I also never tried flipping one when my hand was covered with something as slick as blood.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I am sure that I remember you having sutures in your leg recently.
    They weren't caused by anything as fancy as flipping, just placing the knife gently in your your lap while answering the phone.
    I think I remember said knife being of the type that this thread is about.
    Rhino, please refrain from handling sharp things.

I have been waiting for you to post in this thread.
    That is all

:evilangel:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    This is why we carry and furnish band aids because knives do and will cut. I have seen many men think they are pros with flipping or just handling knives and all of a sudden you have blood dripping all over your knives and table. We just want safety first.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I had a cheap one that I ended up sharpening real good and I was flipping it lefty, I'm a righty btw, and ended up closing half my hand go finger tip down on the blade, cut deep, 4 stitches in my fingertip and a couple in my pinky

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ordered a fake Benchmade 42 from China a couple weeks ago, just arrived today.

Other than the latch... it's pretty much a dead-ringer for the real thing. I oiled up the real BM42 and stored it away now that I'm aware of what it's worth. I think I'll use this fake, as well as my new BB Barfly, for flipping

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I EDC a Bradley Kimura 2, but I never tried to learn any of that flipping. I'm no kind of showoff. For my purposes, just pop it open and twist *OPEN*, then drop the tip and twist *CLOSED*. It can be out and ready, cut made, and back in my pocket almost before you realize I have it. Just hope it's not you I'm cutting :cool: Never cut anything with it I didn't mean to.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I EDC a Bradley Kimura 2, but I never tried to learn any of that flipping. I'm no kind of showoff. For my purposes, just pop it open and twist *OPEN*, then drop the tip and twist *CLOSED*. It can be out and ready, cut made, and back in my pocket almost before you realize I have it. Just hope it's not you I'm cutting :cool: Never cut anything with it I didn't mean to.

I have not cut anything that I didn't mean to . . . for a couple of weeks.

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I bought a benchmade 51BK Morpho a few weeks ago. I have not tried to do any real flipping myself as of yet, and I probably won't anytime soon. I think it's neat but I know I would probably stab myselfe or at least get cut lol.

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Not 100% related, but when I worked at Cutlery World in Greenwood, guys would always bring in their cheap butterfly knives for me to sharpen. I'd always grind the edge right off, on the pretense that I might run into one of these kids on my way out at night :):

They never seemed to notice....

Top Bottom