Anyone here mess around with flipping a balisong?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    why has the price on the 42 gone up so much?

It's quite old... so it sold out a while ago, and Benchmade never really made another knife like it. It's well agreed-upon that it's the best flipper they've made.

It's possible to make similar ones using aftermarket titanium addons for the BM51, for example.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    My 18 year old son and his friends have gotten into this craze...He recently traded for a BM 51. I actually was quite entertained by watching them bleed, (minor cuts), but it ceased to be funny when a four inch slice appeared on the leather sofa...

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I've seen some nice looking Filipina ladies do some nice flip work with them on a couple of occasions. I'm glad I wasn't the unlucky Joe that made them angry. ;)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Not 100% related, but when I worked at Cutlery World in Greenwood, guys would always bring in their cheap butterfly knives for me to sharpen. I'd always grind the edge right off, on the pretense that I might run into one of these kids on my way out at night :):

They never seemed to notice....
    so, you took money and intentionally did the opposite of what you were paid to do? Good to know!

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Back around 1993 I bought a Benchmade Bali from the Cold Steel catalog. It was a good deal, and it had a really nice thick blade with black Zamak handles. I carried it a lot for years and the ltach finally broke. I called BM and they said they no longer made the model or size latch, but if I sent it in they would see what they could do. I got a call later asking if I would accept a titanium handled BM 42 instead of a repair and I said "sure" , hey - it was a new knife. That thing was slick, sharp and came down to a wicked point. Loved it! After carrying it a few years, cleaning a deer or two and just using the crap out of it, I gave it to a wildlife guide in Kenya who had admired it. Probably still going strong there.

As far as flipping, I concentrated on only 2 manipulations per an FMA instructor: reverse grip and regular grip
    , both with just one spin. As he said: " I don't know how to do all that fancy flippinng, I just know how to use it." The lesson: its a weapon/tool - get it into action quicly and safely.

SpokeyDokey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    I've been into balisong manipulation for a few years now. There's a very active online community revolving around it. No one I know (or is taken seriously anyway) considers flipping (as we call it) to have any real practical application. It's more like an art-form. Like juggling, being a hibachi chef, or playing a musical instrument. But with a bit of danger :) It's like an extreme sport you can practice in your living room. I've seen some guys do some amaaaaazing things. I'd consider myself to be somewhere between intermediate and advanced. I'm confident but still have a lot to learn.

I've had too many small cuts to count or remember, but no stitches yet. Worst one was probably a deep hack into by thumb about 1/4" deep. That took a while to heal.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've seen some nice looking Filipina ladies do some nice flip work with them on a couple of occasions. I'm glad I wasn't the unlucky Joe that made them angry. ;)

Here is an American gal with a little skill as well.....Come to find out she is a huge knife collector..

[video=youtube;uDyvfRNQ9Sw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDyvfRNQ9Sw[/video]

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Flipping knives and twirling guns in my opinion is immature, childish, potentially dangerous and serves no useful purpose. I have seen clowns at the range twirling their guns and made it very clear to them that if they don't stop they will be asked to leave. But if you really want to be THAT guy - either use a very dull knife or carry bandages. A person who is trained and highly skilled using a knife will get very close to you and you will never even see the knife.

Last edited:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    That reminds me....someone posted a video of a guy flipping a Bali in a competition a while back. It was an awesome display of skills. Cool to watch. I did a search for it but couldn't locate it.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Top Bottom