• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    From what I understand, those things fetch classic Hemi Charger money.

I think I found about 5 people I recognize in this video... And none of them were bidding.:D

[video=youtube;agH169RpNQI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agH169RpNQI[/video]

Polk's sale is worth going to. Even if you're not going to buy anything.:yesway:

When you want to sell a tractor there, you enter it as running, or non running. Running are driven through, non running are out in the lot. This year my dad volunteer to drive tractors through the sale line. That's a big step for him, since you have to drive tractors other than your preferred color. He was driving a Super M through the sale line and looked down to see the oil pressure gauge at ZERO. I said, what'd you do? He said, just kept driving it. The seller put it in the "running" line.:dunno:

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    My grandpa was a Pettibone dealer in the 60s. He sold logging machinery, like skidders, forklifts, chainsaws and supplies. The old Master 5 Pettibones were a very good seller, but are pretty much extinct these days.
    I looked for a long time, and found this one. 2 owner, with history where my grandpa sold it new in 65.
    Now working on restoring it now. Not a tractor, but not far from it.
    szvmh3.jpg

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That's cool. I've always thought a skidder would be fun to have around.

Love those valve stems.:yesway:

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Orange is my favorite color, except for on a tractor.;)

It might be apparent that I come from a John Deere family, but my mom's brother worked for International Harvester for years. My dad and him always went round and round over tractors. When I was a toddler, my uncle thought it'd be funny, and aggravate my dad, to give me a toy IH tractor for my birthday. Upon opening the box, I burst into tears.:tantrum:

IH makes the other tractors green with envy...

:)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    IH makes the other tractors green with envy...

Oh I've heard them all.

I bet you guys sitting around drinking coffee at the IH store get a big laugh out of that one.

IH store... See what I did there? Now that's funny.:laugh:

Is it between the Oliver and Massey Ferguson stores?:laugh6:

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Oh I've heard them all.

I bet you guys sitting around drinking coffee at the IH store get a big laugh out of that one.

Across the street from the Fordson and the McCormick store.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Oh I've heard them all.

Maybe I don't get it but Roudebush is a Massey ferguson dealer and Jacobi is a IH dealer

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    My father-law farmed orange his whole life ,he had to quit in summer of 87. He had a growth between two of the vertebrae ,they removed the growth and fused the two together. I finished the farming that fall with the help of his dad and a neighbor.Auctioned all the equipment that next spring. He put the farm in crp. The next year he started restoring old tractors . All allis Chalmers 2 d-12 ,2 wf ,one styled one unstyled,d17 an allis g. Two farmall cubs and a wd45 diesel. I have spent litteraly hundreds of hours with him in his shop. My son when he turned 14 I asked if he wanted to get an old car or truck to fix up for when he gets his licence he said no I want a tractor to restore. So my son, his granddad and I stared looking. For those of you not familiar with this ritual ,it involves auctions,gossip at auctions,coffee shop talk and drives real slow down back roads. Real quality time . They, son and father in law,found a 57 CA allis . Took it completely apart, except engine.new wheel bearings, clutch, pressure plate. Brakes rebuilt carb ,sandblasted every component .Rewired, Painted it in the shop..... Better than show room .It sits in the garage covered. My son learned so many lessons in doing this. Patience, mechanical skills,hard work is its own reward. Many good times just piddling around in the shop.The smell of varnished gasoline is a welcome challenge.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, I ended up pulling the head. An exhaust valve was hanging open for years and there was surface rust in one cylinder (#2), locking it up. I soaked in kerosene/atf for a week, then acetone/atf for several days. I got a little movement, but not much. I got some Evaporust and filled up the offending cylinder. All exposed rust was dissolved. This Evaporust is spectacular. Non-acidic, non-toxic, only attacked iron oxide, not iron in steel, unlike acid. Fantastic. The pistons moved about 1/2". This exposed more rust in that cylinder, so I filled up that cylinder again with Evaporust (now at bottom dead center) and left it for 24 hours. Tonight I removed the Evaporust and sprayed some lub in the cylinder. I put a pipe wrench on the PTO, and what do you know? It was freed up.

I may need to replace the liners at some point, but the cylinder doesn't look pitted or scarred. I'm going to try to get it running as is and then assess. These things are dead simple to take apart, so if I have to, I have to. I have cleaned and disassembled the head. I will be doing a valve job. Soon, it will be time to reassemble. I am also replacing the brushes and springs in the starter. The carb is done. The tank is derusted and ready to go.

Progress.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Well, I ended up pulling the head. An exhaust valve was hanging open for years and there was surface rust in one cylinder (#2), locking it up. I soaked in kerosene/atf for a week, then acetone/atf for several days. I got a little movement, but not much. I got some Evaporust and filled up the offending cylinder. All exposed rust was dissolved. This Evaporust is spectacular. Non-acidic, non-toxic, only attacked iron oxide, not iron in steel, unlike acid. Fantastic. The pistons moved about 1/2". This exposed more rust in that cylinder, so I filled up that cylinder again with Evaporust (now at bottom dead center) and left it for 24 hours. Tonight I removed the Evaporust and sprayed some lub in the cylinder. I put a pipe wrench on the PTO, and what do you know? It was freed up.

I may need to replace the liners at some point, but the cylinder doesn't look pitted or scarred. I'm going to try to get it running as is and then assess. These things are dead simple to take apart, so if I have to, I have to. I have cleaned and disassembled the head. I will be doing a valve job. Soon, it will be time to reassemble. I am also replacing the brushes and springs in the starter. The carb is done. The tank is derusted and ready to go.

Progress.

If the rings aren't stuck I'll guess she will be fine. Let it soak for a week or 2 more and keep turning it over a few time a day. I'd put the head on a do a compression check. If the cylinders are within 10% it will run. If you start it and let it run you probably won't be able to reuse the new head gasket.

While the head is off stand it valve head up and pour some alcohol or acetone on the compression area around the valves. If you see it running out the intake or exhaust ports you will need to do a valve job. If it's just light surface rust or crud you can hand lap the valves and probably get away with it. Just retest.

I wish you were closer. I'd love to help you get the old gal running. I have started quite a few engines that have sat 40 plus years without a ton of work.

Larry

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I appreciate the info. My younger son and I are doing something on the tractor nearly every day. It'll get done, probably before the snow flies...though I'm not plowing with it, this year at least. I have a back blade I need to pickup from Mom's place, though.

Like I said, progress. I was ecstatic to get the engine free.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So now, I have the starter done, the head finished and assembled, and bolted on (I need a torque wrench with a longer handle...I'm getting old) and finally got a new battery. Installed the battery, the engine spins over with the starter like new. First time the engine has rotated without me turning the PTO or belt pulley in 6 or 7 years. If I had an open Saturday, I would get it running...but I don't. Hopefully next week some time.

View attachment 60295

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I remember going to the International Plant on Brookville Road some years ago and they had an example of every engine made at that plant, sitting on pedestals in a hallway off the main entrance. Not sure how old the oldest one was, but I do remember they had the engine that was in my dad's early 1960s Scout. I think they were all truck engines, but it was still very cool to see all those old engines, complete, and like new.

I was in that plant not too long ago, after they closed it and all the engines were gone, I'm not sure where to.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    So now, I have the starter done, the head finished and assembled, and bolted on (I need a torque wrench with a longer handle...I'm getting old) and finally got a new battery. Installed the battery, the engine spins over with the starter like new. First time the engine has rotated without me turning the PTO or belt pulley in 6 or 7 years. If I had an open Saturday, I would get it running...but I don't. Hopefully next week some time.

View attachment 60295

Excellent update. I am looking forward to hearing she runs. Best of luck.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, after tweaking...and tweaking...and tweaking the timing, and changing back to the spark plugs I got it with....

[video=youtube;DrIgsqmttTM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrIgsqmttTM&feature=share[/video]

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Progress.

now-i-may-just-be.jpg

tumblr_nutq3q0MWi1uawalno1_400.png

Top Bottom