• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought a set of stock Rubicon wheels last night up in Goshen. I got them for $70ea and had planned to have them powder coated. I started calling this morning and apparently failed to notice that the $40/wheel charge for powder coating did not include the prep work (blasting). That brings the cost per wheel to $140 which is exactly what I could have bought a new, already powder coated black, set of wheels. :ugh:

I started looking online and Duplicolor sells rattle can paint for wheels and from what I've seen people posting online it looks good and is apparently pretty durable. Just curious if anyone has tried it and how well it held up? I'm going to blast the clear coat off in my blast cabinet, wash and degrease them, lay down a primer coat then spray them flat or satin black.

iMac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    There's a local guy in Floyds Knobs that does powder coating for a good price, let me try to get you some info.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm going to paint the wheels on my trailer this fall, and pretty much follow your same process. Its all in the prep! Get them super clean, use a good primer, and spray away.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My first truck I had got back in 1996. It had 1 black steelie and 3 rusty silver ones. I wire brushed them and cleaned them until they were pretty much clean. I rattle canned them with black primer. Several light coats and they hadn't chipped or flaked by 2001 (when I sold the truck). I'm guessing if you did proper prep work and painted them with something better than Walmart rattle cans, they'd hold up fine.

If you knew someone that could do the blasting for cheap, I'd go with powder coat.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    Alot of guys on the Nissan Forum are bed lining their wheels , along with about everything else, they say it holds up pretty well and is easliy touched up

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    On the Car forum I frequent a lot of guys are using Plasti-dip on there wheels. Its basically a sprayable plastic paint. It is populart because they say it holds up really well but if you decide you dont like the color or want a new color, it basically will peel off with the right chemical. Ill try to find a link.

BEWARE: This forum is strictly funded by donations so the mods let things run the way they run. Bound to be some fould language in these threads.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f432/plastidip-stockers-liquid-silver-mazdaspeed-3-a-73205/

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f429/how-paint-your-stock-rims-75692/

Last edited:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Alot of guys on the Nissan Forum are bed lining their wheels , along with about everything else, they say it holds up pretty well and is easliy touched up

This ^^^

I used some cheap spray can bedliner on my sandrail rims and its holding up very well. I just cleaned them up and scuffed them before I sprayed them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the input guys. I did a little more reading/research online and decided to go with Duplicolor's spray on bed liner. They're almost completed, just a few more light coats to hopefully even out some of the blobs. The stuff doesn't go on terribly even.
    P1040519.jpg

P1040520.jpg

P1040521.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Huh. That actually looks pretty decent! Hope you taped off both beads, and you might want to clean out the lug seats.

I'll have to remember this idea.....

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yeah I taped off both beads. The coating just goes over the lip on the front. I'm not concerned with spraying the back, it won't show anyway.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I had painted wheels on my old 240sx... They were carefully rattle canned, and I never had any issues with them, never any chipping or scratching. I have been following this thread, and now I think I might do my GMC's and my Jeep's wheels this weekend. I'm thinking gun metal :ar15:...

DSCN0634.jpg

15020_615402247124_32300100_34901202_6448848_n.jpg

Top Bottom