• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    The Naptown compound is considering adding some fixtures and cameras and becoming somewhat of a "smart house." Both the wife unit and I run iPhones so we would want the app that allows us to communicate remotely. Anyone have experience with the INSTEON technology?

Primarily interested in:flood lights with motion detection
    • Indoor dimmable switches
    • indoor switches (non dimmable)
    • indoor power recepticals
    • thremostat
    • indoor and outdoor cameras

Specific questions would include:

What are the major drawback of this system?
    What was different from what was advertised?
    Are the devices as simple to use as advertised?
    What is the best device you have on your INSTEON setup that you would recommend for me to purchase?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Can those units be used with CF or LED bulbs?

I know that X-10 modules were limited (at one time) to only the old style incandescent bulbs. They did suggest that you could run a lamp off an appliance module to get around that limitation.

I'd like a home automation system but don't want to give up my CF bulbs.

The INSTEON looks interesting because it works 2 ways, over the wires + with RF.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Can those units be used with CF or LED bulbs?

I know that X-10 modules were limited (at one time) to only the old style incandescent bulbs. They did suggest that you could run a lamp off an appliance module to get around that limitation.

I'd like a home automation system but don't want to give up my CF bulbs.

The INSTEON looks interesting because it works 2 ways, over the wires + with RF.

I believe X-10 was always used for 2 wire homes.

I don't believe the CFL bulbs are dimmable... They do offer dimmable LED network bulbs: INSTEON LED Bulb: Energy Efficiency with Remote Control Convenience

I think I can run traditional timers with CFL bulbs in other places.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Major drawbacks? Well for one anything that can be accessed via wireless is vulnerable to attack via the network. Will it happen? Probably not but it is a possibly however remote that you should be aware of.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't believe the CFL bulbs are dimmable...

There are dim-able CFL bulbs, I have four 23 watt (100 watt equivalent) dim-able bulbs in our ceiling fan in the master bedroom.

Granted they do not dim as much as incandescents, but they do dim. It dims to about a 40 watt equiv, so that's just fine for me and the wife, but it is sure nice when we want the full output.

We bought ours at Menard's, think they was on sale 3 for 8.99.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Dimmable CFL's can work.
    Insteon is limited by it's only made by Smarthome, and isn't really a standard.
    Lots of folks report problems with both the Technolgy and Smarthome being less than reponsive.

CFL's work just fine with X-10. I've done it for years. Dimmable LEDS work just fine as well.

But if you truely want security and home automation, take a look at www.homeauto.com.

They've been around for many years, make rock solid products, and are a great company if you have problems.

X-10 is ancient tech. Take a look at the UPB (universal power bus) standard. It's a more robust version of X-10. Universal powerline bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or Levitons Vizia RF http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=37830&minisite=10251

Either will work with the Home Automation Incs products.

I've used and installed such system's for several yrs now. Be glad to help answer questions.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    thank you!

Dimmable CFL's can work.
    Insteon is limited by it's only made by Smarthome, and isn't really a standard.
    Lots of folks report problems with both the Technolgy and Smarthome being less than reponsive.

CFL's work just fine with X-10. I've done it for years. Dimmable LEDS work just fine as well.

But if you truely want security and home automation, take a look at www.homeauto.com.

They've been around for many years, make rock solid products, and are a great company if you have problems.

X-10 is ancient tech. Take a look at the UPB (universal power bus) standard. It's a more robust version of X-10. Universal powerline bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or Levitons Vizia RF Vizia RF +® > Brands > Solutions from Leviton Web Site

Either will work with the Home Automation Incs products.

I've used and installed such system's for several yrs now. Be glad to help answer questions.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just saw this thread.... My dad was an X10 dealer for years. He's out of the biz now, though. I've got X10 stuff all around the house, some is 20+ years old and still works fine. Mostly timers and such, but I (and really all my family) has their little security system.

My cousin does the high-end media equipment and home automation out in the DC area. Mostly Crestron, Leviton, and some of the other commercial-grade stuff. He won't touch Insteon. But then again, his budgets are a BIT higher than mine.

That said, X10 and Insteon are on the lower end of the cost/quality range. Works fine for what it does, but don't expect a fully-automated house. Handy stuff, though. I love the remote/motion floods and the door chimes. I'll use a bunch of ancient appliance modules to control my Christmas lights again this year (fireplace mantle, wreath, outdoor lights, etc....).

Top Bottom