Anyone shoot the Browning Hi Power suppressed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I wanted to ask how well a BHP does when used with a can as I am a little bored with my current hosts which are 92fs and G17.

I am wondering how well the Browning does compared to the other two as a threaded barrel is the only thing I need which also I would love any comment on how well made the drop in tb's are from bhspringsolutions? Thanks

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I have shot both my 1985 Browning Hiigh Power and my Springfield SA-35 suppressed. They run great no issues. Since it's an all steel handgun, it soaks up the recoil really well with the suppressor on it.
    I run my hand loads which are 147 grain round nose bullets from Everglades reloading with three grains of Titegroup.

I have the barrel from Browning High Power Solutions and a kkm barrel. The Browning High Power Solutions barrel needed a little finessing on the top lugs to make it fit, the barrel from kkm dropped right in 20230810_213319.jpg

Last edited:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I have shot both my 1985 Browning Hiigh Power and my Springfield SA-35 suppressed. They run great no issues. Since it's an all steel handgun, it soaks up the recoil really well with the suppressor on it.
    I run my hand loads which are 147 grain round nose bullets from Everglades reloading with three grains of Titegroup.

I have the barrel from Browning High Power Solutions and a kkm barrel. The Browning High Power Solutions barrel needed a little finessing on the top lugs to make it fit, the barrel from kkm dropped right in
    Thanks for the heads up on the BHsprings barrel not being a total drop in fit, I might consider getting a KKM instead.

My Hi Power is actually a lightweight model with an alloy frame like a 92fs or p226. It has made me wonder if I should get an extra guide rod with a buffer to help recoil while shooting it suppressed so not to over stress the gun.

Love your setup by the way, your suppressor looks like an AAC like mine and gives me an idea as to what mine would look like when it's all done.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    An eco 9 is what I have as well. Who did the work for you to jailbreak it? I have really been tempted on having mine done for cleaning purposes.

sales@stalkingrhino.com

It's been quite a while since he did it for me but if he hasn't changed the way he does it he'll get the old end cap off, make a new one and then he supplied a derlin pushrod so that you can push the baffle stack out from the muzzle end of the can.

I'm probably going to send mine down to Liberty suppressors and have them make me a titanium baffle stack for it. The one thing I don't like about it even though it's suppresses well, is that the baffles are aluminum with anodized coating.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    The one thing I don't like about it even though it's suppresses well, is that the baffles are aluminum with anodized coating.
    Yeah I feel the same way with mine, I was bummed out when I realized you can't clean aluminum baffles with an ultra sonic.

Thanks for sharing your link for the jailbreak too by the way. I would love to get it done at some point. Right now my can has less than 500 rounds through it, so I should be alright for awhile. The idea of getting a titanium stack sounds appealing too.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    You are welcome he does great work and pretty good turnaround time or at least he did I don't know if he's gotten busier.

Also the good thing about having a new baffle stuck put in is I can shoot 22 through it and not worry about lead buildup and not being able to clean it up

Last edited:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Also the good thing about having a new baffle stuck put in is I can shoot 22 through it and not worry about lead buildup and not being able to clean it up
    I would love to be able to shoot 22lr out of my can but obviously don't for fear of ruining the sealed baffle stack in it. Titanium baffles keep sounding better and better.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I shoot 22 through mine. I used a sand blaster and soda blasting media to clean the baffles.

It's not super abrasive, will not harm the anodizing
    That sounds like a useful way to clean it while it's still sealed.

Have you heard much about Hi Power grips made out of Micarta by Navidrex?

I just ordered a set off ebay till I find some Craig Spegel delrins, but I don't know anything about Navidrex.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    That sounds like a useful way to clean it while it's still sealed.

Have you heard much about Hi Power grips made out of Micarta by Navidrex?

I just ordered a set off ebay till I find some Craig Spegel delrins, but I don't know anything about Navidrex.

It might work sealed up but that lead is damn hard to get off.

I have a set of the Micarta's on my SA-35. They are thinner than the Ahrends that are on the Browning. I like the Micarta's. Might get a set for the Browning or swap with the SA-35.

You can see the difference in the thickness of the Micarta's vs the Rosewood Ahrends. '85 HP on the left, SA-35 on the right. I just swapped them.

20230814_213400.jpg

Last edited:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I have a set of the Micarta's on my SA-35. They are thinner than the Ahrends that are on the Browning. I like the Micarta's. Might get a set for the Browning or swap with the SA-35.

You can see the difference in the thickness of the Micarta's vs the Rosewood Ahrends. '85 HP on the left, SA-35 on the right. I just swapped them.
    Both sets of grips look really nice, you have me looking forward to recieving my black set in the mail.

Was there any issue with fit in installation? I am slightly worried about that with some reviews I've read about them.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Both sets of grips look really nice, you have me looking forward to recieving my black set in the mail.

Was there any issue with fit in installation? I am slightly worried about that with some reviews I've read about them.
    Yeah slightly so on the inside of the grip there are raised areas that fits inside the hole on each side of the grip frame. You might have to take a file and gently work down the edge of those raised areas so that you can line up the hole for the screw. Sometimes they fit right out of the package sometimes you got to tweak them a little. But they're not hard to tweak just take your time. Remove a little, check. Remove a little, check. Keep doing it until you can line up the hole in the grip with the threaded hole in the frame for the grip screw

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It might work sealed up but that lead is damn hard to get off.

View attachment 292951
    Did you have someone stipple those or is that grip tape?

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Yeah slightly so on the inside of the grip there are raised areas that fits inside the hole on each side of the grip frame. You might have to take a file and gently work down the edge of those raised areas so that you can line up the hole for the screw. Sometimes they fit right out of the package sometimes you got to tweak them a little. But they're not hard to tweak just take your time. Remove a little, check. Remove a little, check. Keep doing it until you can line up the hole in the grip with the threaded hole in the frame for the grip screw
    That doesn't sound to bad, I'm hoping they will fit alright out of the box since they were used before I assume by the seller.

You having two HP's side by side is making me want to do the same. :D Do you think the 1st gen FEG HP is any good? I have really been wanting a steel frame HP to go along with my alloy frame and I seen one for sale.

I figured having a genuine FN with a clone FEG together would be cool too.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    That doesn't sound to bad, I'm hoping they will fit alright out of the box since they were used before I assume by the seller.

You having two HP's side by side is making me want to do the same. :D Do you think the 1st gen FEG HP is any good? I have really been wanting a steel frame HP to go along with my alloy frame and I seen one for sale.

I figured having a genuine FN with a clone FEG together would be cool too.
    I don't know too much about the FEG High Power. I do know they're pretty popular. If I was going to get another one, I would probably get another SA-35 or a Girsan MC P35.

If I could find another used Springfield it would probably be sent off to be two-toned. Black chrome slide with a matte hard chromed frame. There's something about a two-tone high power that looks great

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I don't know too much about the FEG High Power. I do know they're pretty popular. If I was going to get another one, I would probably get another SA-35 or a Girsan MC P35.

If I could find another used Springfield it would probably be sent off to be two-toned. Black chrome slide with a matte hard chromed frame. There's something about a two-tone high power that looks great
    I would love to get a Practical with some Craig Spegel Delrins and Novak night sights. Even without the sights though I would be happy with it.

The thing that attracts me to the FEG is it looks like an identical clone to an early blued FN with an external extractor and FN style commander hammer.

I did own one once a long time ago but it acted like a lemon to me with crappy sear engagement so I would probably get an egw sear and possibly a cylinder and slide extractor kit if I got it.

Top Bottom