• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Looking around for a less expensive coyote gun.

The price of the Axis XP camo combo with scope looks so dang low it scares me (comparitively.....yet no alzhemiers YET so I still remember NIB 700 Rems for 165 bucks. :ar15:)

Reviews look good yet Ive yet to see one or hear of anyone shooting one.

the "edge" Savage is the same gun, Axis is the new name, is all......supposedly.

Appreciate anyone giving me pointers on how they shoot for the money.

I LIKE fancy stocked centerfires but looking for a LIGHT (old man's type) 223 or so in something I wont care if I ding it........besides, Im old and poor, lol.

God Bless
    Steve

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Looking around for a less expensive coyote gun.

The price of the Axis XP camo combo with scope looks so dang low it scares me (comparitively.....yet no alzhemiers YET so I still remember NIB 700 Rems for 165 bucks. :ar15:)

Reviews look good yet Ive yet to see one or hear of anyone shooting one.

the "edge" Savage is the same gun, Axis is the new name, is all......supposedly.

Appreciate anyone giving me pointers on how they shoot for the money.

I LIKE fancy stocked centerfires but looking for a LIGHT (old man's type) 223 or so in something I wont care if I ding it........besides, Im old and poor, lol.

God Bless
    Steve

I've put about 20 rounds of crappy Remington ammo through mine. I like it so far, but can't speak to accuracy until I put good ammo through it. The trigger is a little heavy, but otherwise it feels good. It is very light, so it has enough recoil to get your attention. (Mine is. 308)

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    There is a video on youtube about making the trigger lighter...if you are brave enough lol.

The trigger has been the biggest downside of anyone saying anything bad on them so far around the web.

Bet that 308 TALKS TO YOU too! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmm!

Thanks

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I think the gun is accurate enough, but there isnt much of a supporting market for it. spend a bit more and get a stevens, and it will be a shooter. the perk of going that route is the sky is the limit of what you can turn the gun into if you get the itch.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    It's great for what it is intended for. A no frills hunting gun. The one I shot this past summer, shot very well. With decent ammo (.223 BTW), I was able to keep 3 inch or less groups at 200 yards.
    True, there isn't much of an aftermarket support for this gun, But if your not wanting to do anything to the gun, then this is a very good gun!

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I have one in 223. I have probably shot 60 rounds with it. I can pretty much hit anything with it at 100yards. Havent been able to shoot much longer than that. Nailed this groundhog with it at about 75 yards out of the back of my durango this fall.
    picture.php

And here I am looking down the scope at a target the shooter to my right is hitting.

picture.php

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had one, wrote it up here:

Pirates Of Archery • View topic - Got it.......Savage Axis .243

Disclaimer: your mods are your problem.

In the end I had groups going close to 1/2" at 100 yds, factory ammo, after doing the mods. 12X Redfield helped. Hated a short action round with a long action and later scope change (got a Leupold 4-12X) meant I needed a different 1pc multislot base (for $40).

Didn't get the $ base, sold the gun and got a 700.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I later went with Burris medium Singature Zee rings, which got it up a little too high for me, so I made cheepiece out of Kydex and Chicago screwed it on the off side, looked good and worked great.

197de8864b.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I had one in .223 but sold it. It was a decently accurate gun, but the trigger was heavy. You can buy aftermarket triggers. Mine would often also not extract spent casings.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The barrels for a standard small shank Savage/Stevens action fit right onto the Axis action - they just don't have a removable recoil lug.

That isn't a problem as the front receiver ring length is increased by the same thickness of the "missing" recoil lug, there is a slot in the action where the recoil lug in the stock engages the action.

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

The trigger hanger is spring loaded, retained by two pins - both of which are a pretty sloppy fit. The trigger pins in a standard Savage/Stevens are pretty loose too. Bob Greenleaf, wrote a series of articles for Precision Shooting magazine a decade or more ago on resolving that issue.

IMG_2030.jpg

On the Axis, the trigger hanger is tensioned when the action screw comes through the stock, through the trigger hanger and into the action. I don't particularly care for it, but it would sure speed the manufacturing time for the action.

IMG_2031.jpg

I've no experience with aftermarket triggers as of yet on the Axis.

Barrels are selling briskly for the Axis line, get asked these questions several times a week. It is difficult to beat at the price point they are retailing for.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Rifle Basix sells a trigger for $70, kinda tough to justify putting that much into a <$300 rifle IMHO.

The RB trigger has a set screw to bear against the pivot, which should take some of the slop out (IIRC).

Mine was tolerable after some work and $2, less than 4# and probably closer to 3. I could have went with a slightly longer screw (ground down to fit) at the back to remove more overtravel, but I got 90% out of it with a standard length (.50" ?) one I had laying around.

If removing the factory spring, the coils in the trigger pc on mine translated to 10-24.

No need for roll pins/brass rod tapped into it (as was suggested on quite a few other forums).

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I'm hunting with a guy who has one in 223 Rem and we ran a few boxes through it. It can definitely hang in the accuracy department, but it doesn't qualify as light and it certainly doesn't feel light due to the balance being far out of whack.

Being non-accu all the way around is encouraging though.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    I have one in 223 I put a Rifle Basix trigger on it and the trigger pull is great now I have shot a lot of coyotes with it. The only problem I have had with it is Steel cased ammo hangs up in it so now I just use brass for the money it is a great rifle to carry in the truck

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I liked mine, it was as accurate as I could shoot it. I sold it to have some extra cash while moving, but I will probably buy another. It was in 223, just for plinking.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    So the Axis is the new Edge? Anyone know of any gun differences? I am assuming that this is why the Edge rifles are tough to find...

Yes they had to change the name because the Edge name was copyrighted and they didnt know it. To my knowledge there are no differences.

Top Bottom