• ...and so much more!
  • croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    1. That's what I thought, too.
    2. I have to take it up a notch to keep others happy, meaning an OWB holster. (I really wanted to train with my snubbie, but that is "unacceptable" as well). I've been carrying it all week in a IWB holster that caught much grief, but it works just fine for me. After some time elapsed, I'll go to that thread and admit the deed that I have done. :laugh:
    5. I went to Stephen Jenkins (LEO supply shop) on E 21st St., near Shadeland yesterday, and bought a gun belt, a better ankle holster, a IWB leather holster (for the Shield 9 and Glock 26: yes, made for either), and 2 dedicated Fobus paddle holsters for the Shield 9 and Glock 26 to use for training, but I'm sure they are not up to the standards of acceptability, but I went there since it was a LEO shop where real professionals go to get their wares. And, when I was at training a last week for a Basic Handgun class, I bought an IWB holster for the Shield and Glock, b/c most of mine are for smaller guns that I've sold.

Training isn't about making anyone in particular happy but yourself. You need to be proficient enough with your way of carrying a firearm. Fobus holsters are junk and belong in the trash can. If I wasn't at work I'd link up a video Clint Smith reviews fobus holsters.

My last class I took. I used a Glock 19, SOE belt, NSR holster, NSR mag holder. With the exception of the mag holder (I now carry a spare mag in my pocket) that is exactly how I'll be carrying when I'm off work tomorrow.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Training isn't about making anyone in particular happy but yourself. You need to be proficient enough with your way of carrying a firearm. Fobus holsters are junk and belong in the trash can. If I wasn't at work I'd link up a video Clint Smith reviews fobus holsters.

My last class I took. I used a Glock 19, SOE belt, NSR holster, NSR mag holder. With the exception of the mag holder (I now carry a spare mag in my pocket) that is exactly how I'll be carrying when I'm off work tomorrow.

1. Bummer! I knew even if I went to an LEO supply store to make sure I got a proper holster, that I still wouldn't get the right holster: very discouraging. :ugh:

2. Holster retention levels explained showing Safariland's superior rating system and holsters for retention:
    (I have one of these for a gun and I do like the "release" that it has.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIMB-loLvT8

3. I saw just one of the Clint Smith reviews: enough said!
    4. In the context of "Training isn't about making anyone in particular happy but yourself," I have not found that to be the case: those that speak out "know" you need to be prepared for a gun battle and nothing less or you don't really love your family.
    5. I am going to use my pocket holster and/or my ankle holster, but I am told that is not acceptable, so in order to get training I have to "play along" and use what the more avid CC person knows to be superior in a gunfight. Therefore, I bought OWB holsters just for training, and there will be those occasions where I can use them rarely.
    6. I do have another type of holster I've been wearing all week to try out that came under much criticism, but I liked the concept and it is working for me. When I wear it enough, I'll go to my thread where I asked about that holster and confess I did go ahead and order it and have been using it and it works for me (highly concealable which I must have).
    7. Of course, these same people think that anyone carrying a single stack 6-7 round or a 5 shot revolver are not really preparing for a gunfight either. They are correct.
    8. To me there is: level 1, level 2 and level 3 tiers of preparation (level 1 lowest level and level 3 highest level). Police are at level 3. I am not going to be at that level of training and preparation and I know it. Perhaps that is total ignorance (some say it must be all or nothing), but is the reality that I live in. Perhaps I will evolve as I learn and will become buried in the gun culture. Or not. I have made small steps of progress, that aren't worthy of mention b/c it is not at level 3 preparation.
    9. Thanks for the tip about Fobus. I will call Stephen Jenkins this am and see if I can swap them out, since the ones I bought would be level 1 by the industries ratings, but level 0 by Safariland's ratings b/c there is only an adjustable screw for tension, not a manipulative "lever" of some sort.

Last edited:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    1. Bummer! I knew even if I went to an LEO supply store to make sure I got a proper holster, that I still wouldn't get the right holster: very discouraging. :ugh:

2. Holster retention levels explained showing Safariland's superior rating system and holsters for retention:

4. In the context of "Training isn't about making anyone in particular happy but yourself," I have not found that to be the case: those that speak out "know" you need to be prepared for a gun battle and nothing less or you don't really love your family.
    5. I am going to use my pocket holster and/or my ankle holster, but I am told that is not acceptable, so in order to get training I have to "play along" and use what the more avid CC person knows to be superior in a gunfight. Therefore, I bought OWB holsters just for training, and there will be those occasions where I can use them rarely.
    6. I do have another type of holster I've been wearing all week to try out that came under much criticism, but I liked the concept and it is working for me. When I wear it enough, I'll go to my thread where I asked about that holster and confess I did go ahead and order it and have been using it and it works for me (highly concealable which I must have).
    7. Of course, these same people think that anyone carrying a single stack 6-7 round or a 5 shot revolver are not really preparing for a gunfight either. They are correct.
    8. To me there is: level 1, level 2 and level 3 tiers of preparation. Police are at level 3. I am not going to be at that level of training and preparation and I know it. Perhaps that is total ignorance (some say it must be all or nothing), but is the reality that I live in. Perhaps I will evolve as I learn and will become buried in the gun culture. Or not. I have made small steps of progress, that aren't worthy of mention b/c it is not at level 3 preparation.
    9. Thanks for the tip about Fobus. I will call Stephen Jenkins this am and see if I can swap them out, since the ones I bought would be level 1 by the industries ratings, but level 0 by Safariland's ratings b/c there is only an adjustable screw for tension, not a manipulative "lever" of some sort.
    I wouldn't worry too much about only having 5-8 rds. I'd have to look it up, but most gun fights are over in less than that. At the end of the day have you ever heard anyone say after using there gun. "I wish I didn't have that much ammo". I'll admit for years I was bad about carrying a spare magazine. I don't do it to increase the ammo capacity. I do it in case I have a type 3 malfunction (double feed). The quickest way to clear it is to drop the magazine. In the thousands of rounds I've fired through my glocks I have never had a double feed but still better to be prepared. I train regularly clearing double feeds that I have set up.

As far as holsters go. I really like NSR, I also have green force tactical, galco, a former local company hooch, and another local company called Cry Havoc. For ankle I use galco, I rarely pocket carry but when I do I have a sticky holster. There's lot of different holster options. I wouldn't worry about finding one that fits multiple guns. Pick a few that you're gonna carry and buy a good holster for them. For me IWB at about 330/4 o clock position is the absolute most comfortable.

Sorry to hi jack this thread.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Nope, nothing wrong with MIM at all.....if done right.

Note, I said “Indian MIM.” Sig is using garbage in their guns.

Gen4 and newer Glocks use MIM parts. Not that there's anything wrong with MIM, if done properly.
    The Glock 43 is not without its problems.
    The real no-brainer to me is 13 rounds vs 7 or 8 in the same size handgun.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

8. To me there is: level 1, level 2 and level 3 tiers of preparation. Police are at level 3. I am not going to be at that level of training and preparation and I know it. Perhaps that is total ignorance (some say it must be all or nothing), but is the reality that I live in. Perhaps I will evolve as I learn and will become buried in the gun culture. Or not. I have made small steps of progress, that aren't worthy of mention b/c it is not at level 3 preparation.
    I think you think like I used to think about ALL cops being the ultimate authority on guns or training, until I got to know better. Some cops are tier 1 and some cops despite carrying a gun every single day (like some citizens and military) are tier 99.
    This isnt about cop bashing and it sucks I have to say that because if I dont there will be some holster sniffer or badge bunny that will come along and accuse me of it or hating cops. I dont. That's a fact.
    Also people think the same about members of the military because they use guns. Well I could go down a whole rabbit hole on that one too but for the sake of time and your eyes since I dont use paragraphs, I wont ;) I'll just say the AVERAGE member of the military doesnt know anymore about guns or being safe than the average person the RO's see come to the shooting range and anyone that says they are safe or know what they are doing because they are a cop or soldier should be looked at and treated the same as anyone else you havent verified on a range before ... dont turn your back to them until you verify they know by their actions they have good training.

And yep, fobus, is ****. Unless they've changed their ways in the last few years.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    My last 2 Sigs, 226 Legion and 320x5, both had issues.
    Sig as a company is going down hill and I won't give them any more of my money, so no P365 for me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Just to let you know I listened to you and agreed that I would want more than just the adjustable tension from a screw to hold in my gun in its holster.
    2. I went back over to Stephen Jenkins with my Fobus holster and explained to Misty I wanted a Safariland with the "ejection port locking lever" (I have another one with this feature for another gun and liked it).
    3. They had one in stock for the Glock 26, but I had to order one for my Shield 9, which will take 4 weeks to get in, so I'll train with the Glock 26 in my CC class at the end of the month.
    4. Thanks for the heads up.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If I only bought the products that the internet wholeheartedly endorsed, my house would be empty.

I am not a Glock fan. Glocks just aren't my cup of tea. That being said, I have a couple and they all run just fine. The G23 is a great little shooter.

I am not a Sig fan and with the exception of a few SS Elites and SAO's, Sig just aren't my cup of tea. That being said, I have a few and they all run just fine. My 06/18 production P365 is chugging along just fine right along with some other INGO'ers. I think it a terrific firearm and its teething pains seem to have been quickly addressed.

43 v 365? Whichever one you prefer.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I’ll echo the shield sentiment. Didn’t hop on the bandwagon when the 43 came out and I don’t plan to jump to the p365. If everyone had rave reviews, it might get my interest.

I do like the concept of the 365. More rounds is always better than less. But the assurance that your equipment works trumps everything.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I prefer the G43 over the P365. I fired both quite a bit and the P365's small grip kept shifting around on me. A grip sleeve would solve that problem. I shot the G43 better than the P365 as well, so I will stick to the Glock.
    That said, the P365 is one I want my wife to try out. I think she would like it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The size of the P365 does make the grip too small for some people. I know some of the Sig people like the P225a1 because of that. To me, it is awfully big and heavy for the number of rounds it carries. It is a great gun to shoot, carry not so much, for me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Small 9mm? G26, G43, Shield or Walther PPS. Pick one.

Sig, Springfield and Beretta are absent from the above list.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got the Shield 9mm and kept it after trying several others: Rugers, Walthers, etc.
    Tried the Glock 43 b/c I loved the Glock 42, but sold it w/in a week of buying it b/c it didn't measure up to the Shield 9mm (for my hands and eyesight).
    I look forward to shooting the 365 again. I shot it a the range once but I was shooting many others, and it didn't impress, but for a more dedicated test, perhaps it will: I'm open. :dunno:

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    One day they won’t be, then do you stay with G43 even with the lower round count and why? That was the point if the question

Maybe, it depends how invested in a particular platform a person is.

For example, if one has thousands of rounds downrange with the Glock system then they have familiarity with trigger, grip angle etc., and have established (presumably) a level of competence with the system.

If they have multiple Glocks, then they may also have acquired knowledge in the system from a take down, troubleshooting, parts replacement etc.

These things have value from a performance perspective.

For many people, learning to shoot a new system to the same level of performance isn't free in terms of ammunition and time. Learning to support a new system from a maintenance perspective isn't free. New holsters and mag carriers aren't free.

So, such a person would have to do a cost/benefit analysis for themselves. Is further investment worth it for the extra rounds? Is it worth putting that time and effort into switching over when that time and effort could be spent getting better with one's current system? Those are the kinds of questions at play for people already invested in the Glock system I think.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had the Glock 43 for a week: sold it; I liked my Shield 9 better.
    I just shot 100 rounds from a Sig 365: ACCURATE!!! Well, for me, at least: much more so than the Glock was for me.
    I was surprised it was as good as it was.
    I was shooting with a Pearce extension, and tried the 10 round OEM only one mag.

Top Bottom