Anyone want to guess what this would cost to repair?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Nowadays, many insurance companies are very sensitive to the potential of your wife developing health problems (from the accident), due to them trying to cheap-out on the settlement, and are eager to just get it done, and move along. My son caused an accident 3 years ago, and the other party is trying to retire on his mistake. Very common these days.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Can you get the $8800 check and sell the car?

i don’t Know what ACV means

I could have, but for what they paid me for it, it wasn't worth it to me to go through the hassle.

ACV is actual cash value. legally speaking, it's not quite the replacement cost of a vehicle in the same condition, years, miles, etc., but practically speaking, that's what it works out to.

Nowadays, many insurance companies are very sensitive to the potential of your wife developing health problems (from the accident), due to them trying to cheap-out on the settlement, and are eager to just get it done, and move along. My son caused an accident 3 years ago, and the other party is trying to retire on his mistake. Very common these days.

True, but I have settled the property damage only. We do not anticipate making a PI claim, though. We're not litigious.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Here's the punch line- The estimate was $8,800. Indiana being a 70% ACV state, the van was totaled.

Anticipating this, I went though Cars.com, Autotrader.com and Autotempest.com and came up with 26 comparable vans within 150 miles. I came up with what a price I thought was fair for the actual cash value for the equipment (everything) and the miles (high) and prepared to go to war. Then Geico went and offered me pretty much exactly what I had determined was the ACV. No war.

We will be picking up our new used 2018 Pacifica tomorrow. This thing has equipment that I barely knew existed...but is pretty cool. All this stuff to keep you from having an accident...but nothing to keep teen-aged drivers from running into you from behind.

My, 2005 Dodge Caravan, was damaged more than that, and was repaired for around $4000.00 Left rear, was cut out and replaced, "skin" on the rear door,

and don't remember how much else .....

Good on the "new" Pacifica .....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here is the kicker...it is because he is a sovereign citizen and made his own plate.

Through the "art" of digital manipulation....

...and yes, I know "digital manipulation" means something different to doctors...and masseuses down at the "Asian Spa" by the truck stop.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I was going to say $7,500. I just went through this with my now former 2013 Subaru Outback. I started to turn left from a stop and t-boned someone travelling about 20-30 mph. Minimal impact, didn't feel bad. not much damage to their car's body. Ripped the plastic front end off mine but their rear wheel grabbed my underlying steel front bumper which torqued the whole car around. Buckled the hood and driver's door. With 90,000 miles it totaled out at around $12,000.

Snorko likes his new Subaru Forester.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wait, what? You better scrub this post before your employer sees it, no? :D

I'm a general partner in a true partnership, so look my employer in the eye every morning when I brush my teeth.

Anyhoo, yes, I do mainly defense work. Nothing for Geico that I can recall.

I litigate like a wolverine with a bad attitude on Red Bull on behalf of my clients. I prefer not to be a litigant myself.

Kinda like how I used to be a used car salesman, but I hate dickering on a used car.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I was going to say $7,500. I just went through this with my now former 2013 Subaru Outback. I started to turn left from a stop and t-boned someone travelling about 20-30 mph. Minimal impact, didn't feel bad. not much damage to their car's body. Ripped the plastic front end off mine but their rear wheel grabbed my underlying steel front bumper which torqued the whole car around. Buckled the hood and driver's door. With 90,000 miles it totaled out at around $12,000.

Snorko likes his new Subaru Forester.

Snorko, sir, how'd you decide between the Forester and Outback? Wife and I are just starting the looking process.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Here's the punch line- The estimate was $8,800. Indiana being a 70% ACV state, the van was totaled.

Anticipating this, I went though Cars.com, Autotrader.com and Autotempest.com and came up with 26 comparable vans within 150 miles. I came up with what a price I thought was fair for the actual cash value for the equipment (everything) and the miles (high) and prepared to go to war. Then Geico went and offered me pretty much exactly what I had determined was the ACV. No war.

We will be picking up our new used 2018 Pacifica tomorrow. This thing has equipment that I barely knew existed...but is pretty cool. All this stuff to keep you from having an accident...but nothing to keep teen-aged drivers from running into you from behind.
    What about a CIWS?

[video=youtube;spEXLitukKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spEXLitukKY[/video]

:D

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Snorko, sir, how'd you decide between the Forester and Outback? Wife and I are just starting the looking process.

I looked at both back in 2012 and went with the Outback then. It was roomier, especially width wise, and had better standard features. The Forrester then still had a hand brake that dug into my leg. The 2019 Forrester is two generations newer and everything I didn't like before has been eliminated. I like the higher ride height, the boxer engine is revamped and peppier, and even the base model has about everything you would want. The cargo area is shorter but taller than the Outback but after six years of driving that model, the depth was never a problem but the lower height was. Less room in the back seat in the Forrester but I rarely have folks there and it is still comfy.

The Outback gets an upgrade next year which will make them about equal. Both will have excellent standard features and it will come down to how you prefer the space distributed.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    hah, whatever. You’re involved in lawsuits ALL. THE. TIME.

Yes, he is.... but professionally, not personally! I am now absolutely convinced that an attorney should not represent him/her self if the claim is for more that $10 (okay, maybe a little exaggerated there:):).

In a prior job, I saw the results of people trying to represent themselves.... it wasn't pretty. Most of us just can't be objective in our own cases. Not just attorneys, but people in general.

My wife and I are not litigious, either, and fortunately our last two claims (a ran over mailbox and the Mrs. getting rear-ended) did not involve PI and the respective insurance companies admitted fault and paid out without a fuss. On the other hand, I think that's because we're reasonable people.

Top Bottom