Anyone want to guess what this would cost to repair?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Yes, he is.... but professionally, not personally! I am now absolutely convinced that an attorney should not represent him/her self if the claim is for more that $10 (okay, maybe a little exaggerated there:):).

In a prior job, I saw the results of people trying to represent themselves.... it wasn't pretty. Most of us just can't be objective in our own cases. Not just attorneys, but people in general.

My wife and I are not litigious, either, and fortunately our last two claims (a ran over mailbox and the Mrs. getting rear-ended) did not involve PI and the respective insurance companies admitted fault and paid out without a fuss. On the other hand, I think that's because we're reasonable people.

The biggest fool is an attorney who takes himself as a client.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hopefully with an indication on the title ("branded") as a rebuilt salvage vehicle, although occasionally they get through without.

From 1992-1995 I worked at a car lot that specialized in repairing and selling "salvage" pickups. I am (was, I guess) intimately familiar with the salvage and rebuilt regulations in Michigan, less so in Indiana.

At this point in time (presently), getting a title "wiped" is extremely difficult. Back in the day, before the internet sharing of interstate vehicle info, it was much easier and prevalent. To be clear, our place never engaged in it, but we knew all about how it worked and were even approached a couple of times by people who offered to "help" us...for a fee.

Long story short (with many details left out), a vehicle that formerly had a "salvage" title would be rebuilt and inspected with the new title being issued in the state where it was repaired. In Michigan, the title, for older rebuilds would have an orange-trimmed title with the word "REBUILT" prominently displayed on it. Later, the title was still orange and the words "THIS VEHICLE WAS FORMERLY ISSUED A SALVAGE TITLE" would be on the face. Normal titles were green trimmed.

When the vehicle was rebuilt, along with the salvage title that was issued was a list of what parts were considered damaged. We would take the truck to a police officer (sometimes state police, sometimes a deputy in a nearby county) along with an affidavit and receipts for parts showing what was done to rebuild the vehicle and proving that the parts were not stolen. At that time, there was no safety or function check, but we always drove the truck to meet them.

If everything went well, the police officer would sign off on the "Rebuilt" title application and we would get the new, orange-trimmed title.

Now, with that title, OTHER people may have the vehicle titled in another state that either did not have salvage titles or that had a title system that was just different enough that there was no equivalent to a "REBUILT" title or a "THIS VEHICLE HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN ISSUED A SALVAGE TITLE" title. Because they had no equivalent title, a regular title would be issued.

Then, some people would take this out of state (usually southern) title and just sell the vehicle with that. Others would retitle the vehicle in the "home" state or even run it through a couple of other states before titling it at "home".

Before things like Carfax and before state titling agencies readily shared all their info, this was possible. I would guess that it's much more scarce today.

I will note that I bought a rebuilt Pontiac 6000 for my wife and I's first car we bought together and it was a great car. I also sold my Dad a rebuilt C-10 and an ultra-low mile Cutlass Ciera that was rebuilt. All were great vehicles. Our family generally drove cars until the wheels fell off, a a suitably discounted and well repaired "rebuilt" worked great for us.

In any event, my former van will be issued a "Salvage" title and what happens with it from here...is just a matter of somewhat informed speculation.

Top Bottom