• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    To be fair, they double-check everyone's work anyway. Why not let them do their part first and send it to you to review? Those of us who care will do the work (much easier), and those who don't will just pay whatever they are told.
    No. That’s taking things in the wrong direction. LESS government, not more. How we gonna get rid of the IRS if we keep giving them more work to do?

Flat, low rate, no deductions, pay taxes monthly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No. That’s taking things in the wrong direction. LESS government, not more. How we gonna get rid of the IRS if we keep giving them more work to do?

I like you more every day man.
    Stop over paying and working the return angle. Screw that. Screw them. I owe every year and do so on purpose. Not at the levels I have the last 2 years but I have learned some things so that is not happening again.

This whole thing is a game. Their game.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The IRS already knows what we're paid. Or at least it SHOULD.

In today's modern society, with such amazing and easy technology accessible to almost everyone in America - why do we think that doing our own taxes is some kind of hill to die upon?

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I'll concede that in a dark bar with a tight blouse she might attract male attention. The foolish male who takes her on will no doubt regret thinking with the wrong brain.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Ask and you shall receive.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040-ez

Only costs you some ink, a couple sheets a paper, a stamp and an envelope. (almost) free filing.

Not anymore. They've done away with that form for 2018 taxes. Everyone now has to use the 'New" 1040 form. It's just as simple as the old EZ form unless you have other credits and incomes besides the basics. They've moved that stuff to additional forms that you may have to file.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not anymore. They've done away with that form for 2018 taxes. Everyone now has to use the 'New" 1040 form. It's just as simple as the old EZ form unless you have other credits and incomes besides the basics. They've moved that stuff to additional forms that you may have to file.

Point missed. You can file for free already is what I was referencing.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ask and you shall receive.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040-ez

Only costs you some ink, a couple sheets a paper, a stamp and an envelope. (almost) free filing.

:orly:

For Tax Year 2018, you will no longer use Form 1040-EZ, but instead use the redesigned Form 1040.

I had a client come to me on the last day - "I always filed an EZ, but there were no forms... what's a Schedule A?"

Imagine all the time savings, error catching, cost benefits...

Ark is right on this - the IRS has enough information to send tax payers a pre-filled-out 1040. For 80% or so, it should be a simple sign here and return system. The IRS gets all the information from you bank, employer(s), retirement account, etc. Enough information to tell you that you screwed up. So why can't the just send you a form with all that already on it? Why? Because H&R Block, Inuit and the rest are protecting their revenue stream. There's no good reason that taxpayers should be dependent on big companies to file their income taxes.

Should the tax code be simpler? You better believe it. But, we were promised a simpler tax filing system, but instead the current administration added six more schedules to the 1040.

Think there's a giant deep state IRS machine? Fine. Throw out what they send you and do it yourself.

The vast majority of taxpayers don't even do their own taxes - they use some company (who's in bed with the IRS) and just mindlessly click OK.

As for AOC, even an idiot can promote a good concept, and I'm not going to trash the message because I want to shoot the messenger, so to speak.

Yes... rent seeking... happens in just about every industry you can think of... this one in particular is likely about to become law.
    :rolleyes:

I can't believe our public servants are so beholden to corporate interests.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Let go of the pipe dream.

Whose going to make that happen? We had a Republic house and senate, and Trump in the White House... they ran with the campaign of less government restrictions and then turned around and made the tax code more complex.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Whose going to make that happen? We had a Republic house and senate, and Trump in the White House... they ran with the campaign of less government restrictions and then turned around and made the tax code more complex.

Of course it's not gonna happen. But the point was that I don't want to go in the wrong direction.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Point missed. You can file for free already is what I was referencing.

Sure you can. There's even an Excel spreadsheet you can use.

However, not everyone is as smart as us. Like I said, a woman who's been doing it herself threw up her hands when she was reading the 1040 instructions and came to the part about Schedule A. It's easy for those who's had a father sit them down an explain it, but I deal with clients that don't have a clue as where to start. It's a bit arrogant to look down at someone and say, "you need to know how to file a 1040!"

Why?

The only reason I can think of why someone has to know how to file a 1040 is because it's been the American way since 1913.

[video=youtube;vYmA0zPiVHY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYmA0zPiVHY[/video]

I think it would be much better to be critical of someone's inability to change a tire or fix a leaky wax ring on their toilet.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sure you can. There's even an Excel spreadsheet you can use.

However, not everyone is as smart as us. Like I said, a woman who's been doing it herself threw up her hands when she was reading the 1040 instructions and came to the part about Schedule A. It's easy for those who's had a father sit them down an explain it, but I deal with clients that don't have a clue as where to start. It's a bit arrogant to look down at someone and say, "you need to know how to file a 1040!"

Why?

The only reason I can think of why someone has to know how to file a 1040 is because it's been the American way since 1913.

[video=youtube;vYmA0zPiVHY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYmA0zPiVHY[/video]

I think it would be much better to be critical of someone's inability to change a tire or fix a leaky wax ring on their toilet.

I had a class in jr high school that taught us how to fill out tax forms. They didn't have the 1040 EZ back then. They taught us how to fill out 1040 and schedule A for the most common scenarios. I really don't see any reason why they couldn't still do that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I had a class in jr high school that taught us how to fill out tax forms. They didn't have the 1040 EZ back then. They taught us how to fill out 1040 and schedule A for the most common scenarios. I really don't see any reason why they couldn't still do that.

I had a class that taught me how to use a dialup modem and fax machine...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

For me, it will be simplified next year, with the larger standard deduction. I itemized this year (using the evil Turbotax software) just to see how it would turn out. I wound up taking the standard deduction because my itemization didn't come up to the $12K. Next year, I should just be able to skip right to that part, right?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For me, it will be simplified next year, with the larger standard deduction. I itemized this year (using the evil Turbotax software) just to see how it would turn out. I wound up taking the standard deduction because my itemization didn't come up to the $12K. Next year, I should just be able to skip right to that part, right?

If you know you're not going to hit, don't bother.

And should that number be $24K, not $12K?

And given the increase in SD, it makes even more sense for the IRS to send out 1040 - more people are simply taking the basic, "I made X, the withholding was Y, refund is Z".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you know you're not going to hit, don't bother.

And should that number be $24K, not $12K?

And given the increase in SD, it makes even more sense for the IRS to send out 1040 - more people are simply taking the basic, "I made X, the withholding was Y, refund is Z".

No, single went from $6K to $12K didn't it? (DoggyMama and I aren't legally married, but after 15 years I guess it's a "common law" marriage. :))

Top Bottom