• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I got my first 4800 bps modem in high school.
    I learned 6502 assembly code there as well.

My sister went into Computer Science at university in the late 70's. She bought a Heathkit one piece terminal, along with an acoustic modem. I assembled it for her. I don't recall the modem speed but it was really slow. Maybe 300-ish baud. 4800 baud? Whipper-snapper indeed. But 6502 was mid 70s, but widespread academic use came later. I learned on the Motorola 6800 from about the same era.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I typically do them online using a service. It's a chore still. I don't really count that as doing my own.

Almost done. I'll get 'em filed before midnight.

Unless you use a calculator (or so to speak), you're not doing your return on your own.

Even I haven't in many years.

EDIT: Jamil, that last link I posted has a part from a classroom where the teacher is teaching how to fill out a 1040.

EDIT 2:
    There's a quote we can all agree with:
    Thorndike, at Tax Analysts, said he gets that. Even he uses TurboTax. But he thinks there is a bigger, societal cost when Americans don’t how to fill out a 1040 or what’s even on it — that they become sort of disconnected from the tax code.
    “And the downside of that is that the tax system could use a lot of improvements, but it dulls our outrage in a way that makes those improvements less likely,” Thorndike said.

I think there's opposition here on INGO to the IRS doing an easier filing system because we don't want taxpayers to loose sight of what's going on, but the fact is, that ship has sailed - most taxpayers don't, and won't, know because they're just shifting the thinking work to TurboTax.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My sister went into Computer Science at university in the late 70's. She bought a Heathkit one piece terminal, along with an acoustic modem. I assembled it for her. I don't recall the modem speed but it was really slow. Maybe 300-ish baud. 4800 baud? Whipper-snapper indeed. But 6502 was mid 70s, but widespread academic use came later. I learned on the Motorola 6800 from about the same era.

https://monster6502.com
    A dis-integrated circuit project to make a complete, working transistor-scale replica of the classic MOS 6502 microprocessor.

Geeks gonna geek, I guess. 6800? Really? Are you sure you didn't mean to include one more zero? :fogey:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Unless you use a calculator (or so to speak), you're not doing your return on your own.

Even I haven't in many years.

EDIT: Jamil, that last link I posted has a part from a classroom where the teacher is teaching how to fill out a 1040.

EDIT 2:
    There's a quote we can all agree with:

I think there's opposition here on INGO to the IRS doing an easier filing system because we don't want taxpayers to loose sight of what's going on, but the fact is, that ship has sailed - most taxpayers don't, and won't, know because they're just shifting the thinking work to TurboTax.

The way you un-dull the outrage, you stop payroll deduction. Make people pay their tax burden by writing checks from their own accounts.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    https://monster6502.com
    A dis-integrated circuit project to make a complete, working transistor-scale replica of the classic MOS 6502 microprocessor.

Geeks gonna geek, I guess. 6800? Really? Are you sure you didn't mean to include one more zero? :fogey:

No. It was a 6800, which was first introduced I think around mid 70s. It's 8 bit. The 68000 was introduced in late 70s, which was 16/32-bit CISC architecture. By the time the 68000 came out, the 6800 was used a lot in academic settings. Like my assembly language class.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The way you un-dull the outrage, you stop payroll deduction. Make people pay their tax burden by writing checks from their own accounts.

Issue everyone 1099MISC and let them know how much taxes employers have to pay... and healthcare, and retirement, and ...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No. It was a 6800, which was first introduced I think around mid 70s. It's 8 bit. The 68000 was introduced in late 70s, which was 16/32-bit CISC architecture. By the time the 68000 came out, the 6800 was used a lot in academic settings. Like my assembly language class.

Oh, I know what a 6800 is. I just thought people who actually programmed for them were all voting Democrat for the rest of eternity. You old

More of an 8086 kind of guy

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    AOC is an elitist to think every day people are too stupid to do their own Income Tax returns.
    For most people, doing your own Federal and State Income Tax returns isn't difficult.
    Just read the instructions.

Last year I decided to do my own taxes since they have simplified.
    So I went to the IRS web site and downloaded the nessasary forms and then went to the IRS line-by-line instructions, but I was never able to get them right compared to the previous year results.
    So a friend offered to check them over with his H&R tax program and the results came out like the previous years did.
    So! This year I went with Turbo Tax Free and it was mostly a breeze and, for the first time, I got a lot back for a change.
    Now, that's the way it ought to be for simple filers if not for everyone.

Top Bottom