• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm a gubmint employee (Federal), so yeah, zero tolerance, but the person in question went to our boss about it and implied that I was creating a "hostile work environment" by having pictures of guns. She even claimed to him that she believed I was keeping a gun in my car at work, which is verboten (I wasn't, but that's how crazy this person is). I really had to bite my tongue on that one. Like I said, thankfully a position opened up in another department, so I didn't have to endure it for long.

Move her to where I work. She'd be screaming in an hour.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    The office I work in has several gun owners and no gun haters. I believed that I am the only one who carries but am working on that. :):

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I don't fit under the radar for some reason.

Damn near everyone I meet assumes im a recreational shooter at the minimum.

I probably get more response from people when I say I'm not carrying than I would if I open carried.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I've had people come to me asking advice about buying a particular pistol, or rifle, and it really bothers the Obama supporters in my section.
    Good. :lmfao:

Hope it bothers them enough to stay home for the next Presidential election. :yesway:

...As ChurchMouse and several others here can attest, I'm not Tom Cruise, but I'm also not Lewis from Revenge of the Nerds (Or Red Green's Nephew)...
    Gotta spread some rep around, I guess, but :+1: for the Red Green reference and to Red's nephew - Harold! :thumbsup:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Or maybe its just because my coworkers are clueless and pigeon hole folks/make assumptions? I'm a computer network engineer. I am business casual, and sometimes rock the 5.11/Tru-Spec tac pants. I dont have any gun stickers on my car, but I do have a "peace through superior firepower" sticker. I have one of the NRA bullet pens on my desk. As ChurchMouse and several others here can attest, I'm not Tom Cruise, but I'm also not Lewis from Revenge of the Nerds (Or Red Green's Nephew) I dont hide the fact that I shoot, but somehow everyone around me is oblivious to that fact. Even the ones that DO carry.

I have discovered that around my office a HUGE number of coworkers carry. Based on my estimation at least 20% of the cars contain a firearm. I am just now discovering this. As I hear about those in the company that shoot, I mention guns in conversation. "Hey, you hear about the new G43?" etc. They were ALL shocked I EDC, let alone own/carry occasionally. And by shocked I mean I could probably tell them I'm a drag queen on the weekends and I would get almost the same response.

So either I just dont look the type, or they all make the assumption that since I'm a self professed geek I couldnt possibly be into anything other than comic books, RPGs, video games, and computers.

I dont care... I'll take it.

Reminds me, I have a few of these.

b67cc0c4-07fd-46e8-a82e-70693a510085_zpswe1npy3y.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm a software engineer and thought I was flying under the radar until a manager from a different department stopped me in the break room to ask advice about buying his first AR. He said he figured I was a gun guy since I wore 'Gun pants'. Apparently, cargo pants are seen as 'Gun pants' in some circles. I do tend to wear cargo pants a lot but it's because I can fit an IPad mini in the lower pocket. I like blending in, but also don't want to come across as an easy mark.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I carry every day. Almost nobody knows. I don't wear anything tactical-ish. I was divorced in 2002. Then met wife 2.0 whom I dated for 3 years. One time we were out and I decided to have the gun discussion. I asked her if she minded if I carried a concealed firearm. She said it was OK with her as long as her daughter didn't see it. I said I have it on right now. She was very surprised. I fit the geek engineer description pretty well, so that is always good cover.

Nobody knows and nobody needs to know.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It was really fun to work at Americase in Texas. No one cared if you carried to and from or at work. The boss was a pretty good skeet shooter. I sat next to a retired LEO in the sales office. Nothing like the anti gun hostility when I worked at Purdue, where foreign teachers take American flags out of the class rooms.

People came through the door all day long with firearms they wanted a custom case made to hold. I got to see everything from the finest customs, the rarest of fine guns from the 1800's to DOD weaponry that needed to survive drops out of helicopters. Not to mention road cases for professional and rare musical instruments. The office joke was that if a bunch of terrorists came, I would greet them at the door with a tape measure and a graph paper pad and start measuring up their firearms to make another sale. "I would be glad to make you a case for your machine gun, who many do you need?"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom