• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • get_armbarred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Crown Point
    I have used apple and non apple iPad , iPod , iPhone. If I could afford it I would buy all apple. If price doesn't weigh heavy on your decision. I would recommend apple due to their quality. I have really pulled for another company to take the top spot but I keep comming back due to the quality.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You actually got a pretty decent deal then. About $150 off from the 1 gen. 64gb that I've seen. (Yes, even though I feel that there are better products out there, I compare the Apple products as well when looking at making an mp3 player, tablet, cell phone, and computer purchases).

Uh, yea! I use it for everything!!

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Side by side comparison between my mom's Dell with the atom n450, my droid overclocked to 1.25ghz, and my stock iPad.

Oh so you are saying your side by side comparison says its powerful. It has to be true then. lol. Anyhow, my overclocked dual-core phone is much faster than the Ipad2. Go do so research before trying to say someone else is ignorant.

And for the record, I have no alliance with or against Apple. I just prefer to use what works best for me. Besides, I can read books, watch movies and do all of that from my phone anyhow.

Lastly, for "not being an Apple fanboi" you got awfully defense really quickly.

And as far as the OP, see if you know anyone that has one and try it out. See if you guys like it and if it will meet your needs. If you like it than buy it. It is always best to check out electronics before buying them since you would lose a lot of money to resale it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'll probably get an iPad in the near future. Anyone have any info on what the ipad3 will have over the ipad2? I have an iphone4 and a Mac mini desktop. I have no idea how to overclock, unlock, etc and have no desire to do so. I want the iPad to do email, surf, INGO, etc. I do most of my surfing from my iPhone anyway.

My first mp3 player was a Creative Zen. It was great until you wanted to buy any sort of accessories for it. For the iPad, I want to pull it out of the box and use it. I don't want to have to worry about loading this os or that os.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    iPads won't replace laptops, they won't replace cellphones. They are right in the middle for functionality. For those of you who cannot see the purpose or don't think tablets are worth anything think of how a table could replace EVERYTHING you read. All at one time. All of your reading content could be downloadable, searchable, and instantly available. You could have your TV shows, your movies, your music, control of everything in your house (we've seen this and it's amazing.

Where I see iPads absolutely dominating is education. We work with Apple education quite often and that is the hot item now for schools to demo. Replacing all textbooks with iPads.

I just got back from mobility training at Apple's offices in Chicago this past week. Talk about some really fascinating uses for iPads.

I got to meet the programmer behind this:

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

Amazing and cool use of technology.

Drunken Yak inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Osceola, IN
    Well that makes all the difference in the world since some of the cheaper ones I'm seeing right now are around $375 shipped. The Asus Eee Pad Transformer (much better specs than the original iPad) can be found for $375 shipped, many vendors are under $400 with free shipping or with shipping and insurance added. I did see on autorader.com where someone was selling a Yugo for $5,000 and a fairly late model (2000+) econo-box with actual features (pick your flavor, transmission, whatever) with under 100,000 miles for $5,100...maybe I'll go with the Yugo since it is slightly cheaper and old technology.

Asus makes junk that don't last, and just because something has similar specs does't mean it was built with as high quality materials. Same "brand name" chipset on inferior boards with inferior materials used to make the connections. I've built enough desktops to learn that lesson the hard way.

You're just Anti-Apple. Own one then you can talk about how Apple is just "hype"

And for the record Android OS sucks...

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    In terms of "fit and finish" Android is a damn mess. It's a great upgrade from people who haven't used any smart phone, but most people coming from iOS it's a definite step down in functionality.

Now, having said that. Android is definitely a tinkerer's OS. If you don't like the built in keyboard? Change it. Don't like the built in SMS client? Change it. Can't do that on iOS all that much.

Android is a market in flux right now. iOS is very very stable. When ever I hear an Android fanboi talk about the hundreds of thousands of activations each day for Android OS phones I simply ask them how much Google actually MAKES on each handset. Apple never does anything unless it makes them a lot of money, and iPhones make them a LOT of money. Nobody really knows how profitable Android is for Google, which is why I'm curious as to why Google would buy Motorola Mobility. Why on EARTH would they buy a company bleeding cash as much as Motorola?

Let's also look at the devices themselves. I own an HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon and several iPhones. My Android phone is LOADED with Verizon junk that I cannot get rid of unless I root and flash another rom. My iPhone has no carrier bloat on it. I also know that whenever Apple releases an update I will get it. When Google releases an update, HTC needs to touch it and make sure it will work, then Verizon needs to touch it and put their secret sauce in it, THEN it gets released to me. Somewhere along the line in that process SOMETHING is bound to break and often does.

Sorry for getting this thread off topic a bit.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Android is already runnable on a Touchpad.

Really?? Need more info...off to Google I go!

If I can get Android and Android apps on my HP Touchpad, I will be a very happy man.

The place I got my 32GB model sold over 1000 units within two days of HP announcing the end of life for them.

They're pretty cool for what they are.

Email and MP3's.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'll probably get an iPad in the near future. Anyone have any info on what the ipad3 will have over the ipad2?
    Nobody does. Not even Apple. Apple keeps the feature set in flux right up until launch, and will yank a feature that they think is not up to snuff. The only way to know for sure what's in a new Apple product is to wait for the official announcement.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Nobody does. Not even Apple. Apple keeps the feature set in flux right up until launch, and will yank a feature that they think is not up to snuff. The only way to know for sure what's in a new Apple product is to wait for the official announcement.

How could Apple not even know about the iPad 3? How would they develop a product they don't know anything about? There are a select few people who know about the iPad 3 within Apple and that's it. Nobody else knows a thing. Apple is a VERY secret organization.

Apple's products are planned out YEARS in advance. That is how they have cornered the market on Flash memory, and the processes for manufacturing laptops as tough as the macbook pro's and macbook airs with a unibody chassis. Look at the Ultrabooks from Intel for a comparison on pricing. Everybody ragged on Apple for having more expensive hardware than the comparable Windows stuff, but NOBODY can make an Ultrabook for cheaper than a Macbook Air with the same hardware.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    How could Apple not even know about the iPad 3? How would they develop a product they don't know anything about? There are a select few people who know about the iPad 3 within Apple and that's it. Nobody else knows a thing. Apple is a VERY secret organization.

You missed my point, which was that any talk is just that -- talk. Doesn't matter if it comes from "sources close to Apple" or Apple itself. Steve Jobs has been known to talk about features in the hypothetical before a product launch, and have everything he said reversed by product launch. They might, for example, plan to put 4G LTE into the next iPhone, even though they've said they won't. They might have the chips and radios all installed right up to product launch, and then decide the feature isn't ready yet and pull it the day before launch. It's happened before. They've yanked entire products at the last minute because they didn't like the way it was performing. That's why you can't trust anything until the product is formally announced.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

iPhones have a tendency to be released during 4th quarter, historically speaking

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Oh so you are saying your side by side comparison says its powerful. It has to be true then. lol. Anyhow, my overclocked dual-core phone is much faster than the Ipad2. Go do so research before trying to say someone else is ignorant.

And for the record, I have no alliance with or against Apple. I just prefer to use what works best for me. Besides, I can read books, watch movies and do all of that from my phone anyhow.

Lastly, for "not being an Apple fanboi" you got awfully defense really quickly.

And as far as the OP, see if you know anyone that has one and try it out. See if you guys like it and if it will meet your needs. If you like it than buy it. It is always best to check out electronics before buying them since you would lose a lot of money to resale it.

You know, you can go ahead and scoff at my experience all you want, just because specs show that the processors run faster doesn't mean it runs better and more stable. It's how well it all runs together, and apple does that well.

Just to prove a point, a few years ago back before core 2 duo's, I had a Pentium D that started out at 2.8Ghz. With 4 gig of ddr2 on a 32 bit xp before and after the overclocking, I made that Pentium D squeal like a pig at 4.25ghz. But I have to tell you, just because the processor is "faster" doesn't mean it's actually "faster", more "powerful", or more "stable".

You can saturate in specs and theoretical power, but it all comes down to what the user experiences...in my experience, my iPad/iPhone works best.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Asus makes junk that don't last, and just because something has similar specs does't mean it was built with as high quality materials. Same "brand name" chipset on inferior boards with inferior materials used to make the connections. I've built enough desktops to learn that lesson the hard way.

You're just Anti-Apple. Own one then you can talk about how Apple is just "hype"

And for the record Android OS sucks...

Asus products are far from junk. As far as being anti-Apple, I have an iPod Touch. It is fine for what it is and what I wanted to use it as. I've used plenty of Apple products, they simply aren't that impressive unless you can fall for the marketing/hype (yes, it is hype...overpriced big time). If you want me to own one, send me one and I'll compare it side by side like experts have and I'm almost positive I'll come back with the exact same results and most of them (the non FanBois).

Overspend if you'd like or do proper research. There is MUCH more to a product than marketing.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Asus products are far from junk. As far as being anti-Apple, I have an iPod Touch. It is fine for what it is and what I wanted to use it as. I've used plenty of Apple products, they simply aren't that impressive unless you can fall for the marketing/hype (yes, it is hype...overpriced big time). If you want me to own one, send me one and I'll compare it side by side like experts have and I'm almost positive I'll come back with the exact same results and most of them (the non FanBois).

Overspend if you'd like or do proper research. There is MUCH more to a product than marketing.
    Just like there is much more to a product than the shear specs. Just because someone has more power doesnt mean it necessarily runs faster, doenst necessarily mean its more compatable with pretty much everything, doesnt mean it has better battery life, etc.

I guess there is no real point to argue, no one is going to change their opinons. It sure says something that people are very happy with the slow and over priced iPads when they were fully capable to get an android based platform.

I can tell you for a 100% fact that my iPad has FAR less hiccups than my android based HTC EVO.

The funny thing is you are trying to tell people who have products with both operating systems which is best, we know, we have them. Apple os is just simply a smoother running, less buggy platform that has tremendous battery life.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN

It's really a shame you attribute everything to marketing when you're talking about Apple. User interface, user experience, that all seems to not matter to you. If marketing is such an evil, why not hand compile your own Linux kernel and only use the CLI?

When talking about any device, you have to associate a value to it. Some people value their time over money. I've used Apple's products for over 30 years now and that's one area they really *get*. Yes you might pay more, but you get more. You get great support, you get free software that's pretty darn good, you get a device you know will just *work*, you get all of these things. You can't say that with any other manufacturer out there. Look at my post about Ultrabooks farther up the thread where I say that NOBODY can build a MacBook Air competitor for less than Apple.

Drunken Yak inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Osceola, IN
    Asus products are far from junk.

Complete and utter trash. I bought my girlfriend a pink Asus Netbook (2010) that did not work from day one! It would crash regardless of time, temperature or what you were doing. By far the worst computer I've ever owned... Which says a lot because I've owned Hp and Toshiba.

Also a plus for Apple is that they're an American computer company.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Also a plus for Apple is that they're an American computer company.

Are you freaking high? How can you even say that without vomiting?! Their products are clearly made in sweat-shop environments and everyone knows that. Their "designed in California" tag doesn't mean they are made here. :dunno:

It has to be at least a 1:50 ratio of American apple employees to Chinese apple employees.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom