• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cable

Marksman
    Dec 9, 2012
    All the dope info that I recorded from last October's KD shoot at Atterbury is smeared and ripped from the downpours during the event.

I figure it would be good to be better prepared for future KDs with an Appleseed field Databook printed on "rite in the rain" paper.

Anyone interested in a group buy? Let me know here so we can get this going.

I found this info on the official appleseed forums.

Rifleman Databooks

databook-1.JPG databook-3.JPG

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Those are water resistant? I hadn't noticed & kept using the handouts. I have one of those and will test it when I get home.

Cable

Marksman
    Dec 9, 2012
    The databooks in their current incarnation are probably not water resistant. Once I get an idea of the numbers in the group buy, i'll ask the vendor for a quote to print on "water resistant" paper.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I think YHJ (Dave) was the author of that databook. Is he going to give out the rights to re-print these or will you need to go through RWVA (Appleseed)? There's been some fuss over using any of their copywrite protected images/material recently.

I'm in for two if you can get them printed.

If you have to change them I have some ideas for additional content.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hop the production of those has nothing to do with RWVA's supply chain or command structure. It was entirely produced locally, downto the print shop that produces them in Bloomington.

It it is not on write in the rain. At the time I worked out the print details WItR needed a different set up than we had at the time. If you are interested in WItR paper, call Midwest Color Printing and ask to talk to Luke. Tell him Huff told you to call. Ask for a quote with WItR paper and he can sort you out. Talk only to Luke.

Cable

Marksman
    Dec 9, 2012
    It it is not on write in the rain. At the time I worked out the print details WItR needed a different set up than we had at the time. If you are interested in WItR paper, call Midwest Color Printing and ask to talk to Luke. Tell him Huff told you to call. Ask for a quote with WItR paper and he can sort you out. Talk only to Luke.

Huff, thanks for the info. I hope they can accomodate the water resistant paper. I'll call Luke for a quote on monday based on the numbers over the weekend.

Cable

Marksman
    Dec 9, 2012
    Great! How does everyone feel about a few extra pages of content? Is that something we can/want to do?

RobbyMaQ's MOA page for example: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tance-october-18-19-2014-a-3.html#post5357777
    -or-
    A few blank range cards?

I checked out this doc and found that its intended to be printed at 8 1/2 x 11.

Walking around with the full size hand out pages wasnt exactly easy with all the movement between berms. The hand outs ended up folded in half to make them easier to get in and out of my pack. I am actually hoping to get this databook down to 5x8 which is the size of a small planner.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    While I certainly don't, and won't, discourage the use of a databook, waterproof or otherwise.... I have always thought that is why the underside of my baseball cap or floppy hat exists. That writing surface and a sharpee works for me. Sometimes my left forearm and a Sharpee. (I'm right handed)

And of course, my slings have marks and plenty of room for notes. And I am one of those highpower shooters....Looking to shoot 10 "X's"

And I have a orange hat. Dormant and way too clean.

Later in the comfort of my living room, that data can get transferred to paper for future reference. But I don't carry paper into the field or range. There is too much to do during a match to be bothered with it. Writing down the data later is part of the mental de-brief and reinforcement of the lessons learned that day.

I have also used masking tape on the side of the buttstock. I used whiteout on one of my AR's once. it lasted OK for a while. I darn near used an engraver once...I am glad I didn't because things change. I have developed my own short hand for my notes.

If you think about it, there are alternatives to carrying extra stuff around. If you have to grab your stuff and go someday, I'll bet your data book won't be amongst the stuff you grab. At least, that is what I am counting on....But I am hoping to have my hat.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ I see your point and if I had to bug out I'd be taking my AR w/ calibrated bdc ACOG & M855. On the other hand, if I'm bugged in and defending from longer range (>500 yards) I'm taking the databook with me.

Robbie's pdf works for AQT targets. I just like the reference lines layed on top of the AQT to give me an idea how many MOA off my POI was. A real "sniper" style databook would have "real world" type target measurements to aid in ranging things at unknown distances: average man height, average door width/height, wheelbase of a car, truck, etc... + a few pages of blank range cards.

ol' Huff was at Slim's unknown distance clinic a few weekends ago. Whatcha think Huff?

nad63

Expert
    Oct 3, 2011
    Are you thinking of plastic laminated and write on them with a grease pencil?
    Pretty sure you are way off base here. You can use pencil, sharpie etc like on standard paper but witr would not run and be permanent (I do not know if you can erase on witr paper?)
    A grease pen option could smear or be smudged & this would be more permanent I believe.

Cable,
    I would be in for one of these if they are priced right & small. Not full sized sheets. Great idea and sure to make the weather great for the next KD at Atterbury!
    Nigel

Top Bottom