• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I had to spend used car money to get an accurate ak lol. Ar's are better all around. I don't even think there is a good argument against them being the best defensive carbine currently on the planet. I love my ak, but... ar's are just about perfect when it comes to cost/capability/function/accuracy. AK's are good pewpewpew, and with the right amount of money are very effective defensive rifles... still hard to beat a nice ar15.
    Ha, yeah like AR's not all are created equal as you know.
    I do really love my AR's and now only have a couple sentimental AK's left. I do miss them. I had some great ones.
    But, I have a cannon now so I pretty much could sell all my guns and be ok. :):

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you don't like the AR buy an AK. Not to be harsh but it would sound like a training issue. No harm in jumping into an AK though.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    The AR is a great gun, but there’s nothing wrong with preferring something else.

M1 Garand
    M1A
    Fal
    G3
    Vepr .308
    AK

There’s a bunch of solid .30 caliber alternatives. 5.56 is a fine round, but there’s nothing wrong with more power either.

Could you train and learn to use an AR without issue, as many have stated above? Sure. You could also get a different rifle, train with that and be equally happy. Variety is the spice of life, and if you show up at a training class with an M1 Garand, you’ll get awesome style points.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Since you already have the AR, I suggest taking a class with it. After 2 days of shooting the thing, working the controls, reloading, etc, you will likely find the ergonomics & placement of controls are better than you originally thought.

That's what happened with me. I didn't love the AR15 until after my first class/event. Now I "get it." And now all the other platforms seem silly to me.

Aaaaaaand Wilson Combat just came out with the "300 HAMR". Looking at the numbers, it looks like a great option in 30 cal for the AR-15 platform that would only require you to buy another upper.

:ingo:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Since you already have the AR, I suggest taking a class with it. After 2 days of shooting the thing, working the controls, reloading, etc, you will likely find the ergonomics & placement of controls are better than you originally thought.

That's what happened with me. I didn't love the AR15 until after my first class/event. Now I "get it." And now all the other platforms seem silly to me.

:ingo:

Wait, wait, are you suggesting that education will defeat ignorance and you will then realize that there are no magic swords.

How dare you. Have you no shame?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Dude! Everyone knows you are just one gun away from the perfect one.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If you don't like an AR-15, there are all sorts of alternatives.

Colt LE6920
    Sig Sauer M400
    Daniel Defense DDM4
    Springfield Saint

Lots of options that aren't AR-15s!

;) :)

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    OP, I personally don't care a lot for the AR-15 in 5.56. I also feel it is under powered and has a short EFFECTIVE range. I have seen documentaries where GI's in either Iraq or Afghanistan were carrying AK's in their vehicles along with the AR as the enemy was hiding at a distance behind thin barriers the 5.56 would not penetrate. In those cases the GI's were using the AK-47.

I have 3 AR-15's, two in 5.56 and one a Grendel. I also have AK, Garands, SVD 40, LR-308, lever action .308, Mosin's, Mauser's, Enfield, Swedish K-31 etc.. I too prefer larger calibers and would not choose the AR-15 as my first choice in a SHTF situation. However they are a fun target rifle!

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    The ergonomics just don't appeal to me. I find myself fumbling for the bolt lock switch and mag release, and always have to smack the bottom of mags twice to seat it properly. I know that would improve if I forced myself to train with the rifle; I just have other rifles I like to shoot more.

The lack of practicality confuses me. It's too small for deer (and illegal). It's not a great target rifle, because of the semi auto platform. I know you could 'accurize' it, but you'd just get to the starting point of a factory bolt gun.

It's more expensive to shoot because of the rifle round cost, but not so expensive I'd save the money worth the time to reload the cases.

The caliber feels too small. I much prefer the .30 caliber rounds (762x39, 308, 3006, etc).

Anyone like any other semi auto platform?

I was in the same boat as you. I just couldn't get into the ergonomics of the AR15 platform, but I think it was just because of my height/build and the lack of practice with the rifle.

Pistol grips are great, but for some reason I enjoy a rifle with a traditional stock as opposed to a pistol grip. I love shooting my SKS, and my M1 carbine. Although my carbine is very short, I enjoy shooting the minimal recoil.

However, that being said, Once I familiarized myself more with the AR15 platform, I found myself wanting to shoot it more and more than my others. There are so many options for customization, and larger calibers (even some mutants shooting 7.62x39). Also, with my height/build the recoil is almost non existent. I would love more options in .30 carbine though. I love shooting it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have shot a number of bullpups and found triggers to be bad

Concur. I'm not a trigger snob. I'm ok with a GI trigger in an AR. Bullpup triggers are never as good as their AR counterparts due to the simple mechanics of the build. Even expensive "nice" aftermarket ones are improvements but heavier and not as smooth as the equivalent AR.

OP, I personally don't care a lot for the AR-15 in 5.56. I also feel it is under powered and has a short EFFECTIVE range. I have seen documentaries where GI's in either Iraq or Afghanistan were carrying AK's in their vehicles along with the AR as the enemy was hiding at a distance behind thin barriers the 5.56 would not penetrate

Ammo selection matters.

If you don't like the AR buy an AK. Not to be harsh but it would sound like a training issue. No harm in jumping into an AK though.

If the complaint is ergonomics of the controls, I wouldn't suggest an AK.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I dislike ARs.
    But they work pretty well.
    JP trigger springs and the puny 5.56................decent yote or chuck rig.

Eh, I used to shoot chucks along creekbanks with an FNC Para.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I've got five of the Kel Tec bullpups,....no, make that six with the RFB,.....and all six triggers are miles ahead of any standard AR trigger. And all of them are ambi perfect. And an RDB is half the cost of a Tavor with the necessary trigger upgrade and not half as bulky. They're really neat rifles,....err, uhm,.....bullpups. If/when they make one in Grendel they'll be perfect.

Lotta people like to hate on Kel Tec and maybe they're not wrong. Maybe they're just a little out of date. If you try an updated RFB or an RDB there's not too much to not like.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Sounds like you have literally no idea what you are talking about, either learn the AR platform, pony up 3K for a SCAR 16 or get a commie gun

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sounds like you have literally no idea what you are talking about, either learn the AR platform, pony up 3K for a SCAR 16 or get a commie gun

Most of the "I hate this gun" threads are simply manifestations of the externalization of the internal realization that the person needs to train.

It's human nature.

Top Bottom