• cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Magazine in the gun runs this...

View attachment 308717

Just ball in the other mags.

Nice thing about the Federal Fusion MSR is, if one can’t find the Speer GD, it performs just about identically for the same bullet weight (and vice versa). Linky:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don’t carry an AR-15, it stays safely locked in a big metal safe. But if I had to carry it around for some unknown reason it would be loaded up with Federal TRU 55 grain soft points. Not a recommended load anymore and most agencies have abandoned it for duty use. Problem is it lacks penetration and doesn’t perform well through barriers. But it shoots good, has been reliable and is cheap enough to buy and test. Plus it shoots the same as the other Federal FMJ 55 grain offerings for practice.

In .308 I like the Federal GMM with the 175 grain MatchKing

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    All my "go" mags are loaded with IMI M855. Full power 5.56 at CQB distances whether soft point or not is catastrophic on a soft target. I choose the M855 round for those adversaries that may have chose poorly with their body armor and the M855 getting a complete pass through

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    All my "go" mags are loaded with IMI M855. Full power 5.56 at CQB distances whether soft point or not is catastrophic on a soft target. I choose the M855 round for those adversaries that may have chose poorly with their body armor and the M855 getting a complete pass through
    M855 doesn't go through armor as well as you think. Multiple hits on ceramic does okay like most rounds, but on steel it's not as good which is what I think you will find more of in the US. There is a reason why the US is switching away from it. You can see the difference when you put both in a bolt action with a longer barrel to get the most energy out of both rounds and test a plate.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    M855 doesn't go through armor as well as you think. Multiple hits on ceramic does okay like most rounds, but on steel it's not as good which is what I think you will find more of in the US. There is a reason why the US is switching away from it. You can see the difference when you put both in a bolt action with a longer barrel to get the most energy out of both rounds and test a plate.

What conflicts have we fought in the last 50 years that the majority of those we were shooting at, wore steel or ceramic plates?
    I see a lot of carriers, not a lot of armor in them.

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    What conflicts have we fought in the last 50 years that the majority of those we were shooting at, wore steel or ceramic plates?
    I see a lot of carriers, not a lot of armor in them.
    Fair, but just based on what I understand I think M855 is inferior for armor penetration which was the reason they gave.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Fair, but just based on what I understand I think M855 is inferior for armor penetration which was the reason they gave.
    I believe M855 was designed to be shot out of a 20" rifle, out of a 16" it looses yaw a bit earlier downrange.
    The 855A1 has faster burning powder and its lead free.

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    I believe M855 was designed to be shot out of a 20" rifle, out of a 16" it looses yaw a bit earlier downrange.
    The 855A1 has faster burning powder and its lead free.
    Oh yeah 855A1 has great performance from what I've seen. Wish I could get some, but only way I saw was to buy off gunbroker for $2 per round. That said I'm not sure even 20" rifles are going to do that much more, because the test I posted was out of a 22".

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Oh yeah 855A1 has great performance from what I've seen. Wish I could get some, but only way I saw was to buy off gunbroker for $2 per round. That said I'm not sure even 20" rifles are going to do that much more, because the test I posted was out of a 22".
    Enlist in the Army or USMC and be a Grunt, you will eventually get to shoot some.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2023
    Indiana
    75 grain Speer Gold Dot is tough to beat. Lehigh Defense 62 grain controlled chaos projectiles are another top choice for me. Even out of my 5.5 inch 556 MCX Rattler barrel they fragment and have no problem expanding.

Top Bottom