AR-15 inventor would be horrified and sickened.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The Centers for Disease Control report that here in the United States, on average, 3,536 people died from drowning annually from 2005 to 2014

Where's the call for pool control?
    No one "needs" a pool. Or at least not at their house

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    The Second Amendment was intended to ensure that the people's right to have military grade weapons for defense of themselves, their communities and their country was untouchable.

Sez you.

I would argue that the INTENT was for a "well-regulated militia" (now where did that come from??) take the place of the standing armies as they existed in Europe at that time, something the Founders did write about.

Nowhere does the 2A address the "quality" or "grade" of a weapon, as QA/QC was hit-or-miss in the days of hand-made muskets. As such, it's well within the right of Congress to restrict firearms to nothing more than a hand-made musket. That would not violate the 2nd.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Paychecks are based on the work Stoner did; I suspect you're thinking of ROYALTIES. But then, you generally don't get royalties for work you did while employed by a company. You might get a patent, but the rights and royalties (for licensing to other companies) belong to the company that paid you. Hiram Maxim made a killing (pun intended) during WW1 by licensing his machine gun to all sides.

Nowhere in Stoner's biography do I see an indication that he intended any of his designs to be used by civilians. The AR-10 (designed before the AR-15) was in competition with the M-14. The Stoner 63 was clearly a military weapon, as was the Bushmaster 25mm auto cannon. Finally, the SR-25 is used primarily by Special Forces.

Those facts don't fit your rhetoric.

Yeah, I agree. I do not see where the AR was developed as anything but a military weapon. It is incidental that AR's also turn out to be good choices for hunting, target shooting and home defense. We get all kinds of stuff from the defense industry like GPS and IR Gear.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sez you.

I would argue that the INTENT was for a "well-regulated militia" (now where did that come from??) take the place of the standing armies as they existed in Europe at that time, something the Founders did write about.

Nowhere does the 2A address the "quality" or "grade" of a weapon, as QA/QC was hit-or-miss in the days of hand-made muskets. As such, it's well within the right of Congress to restrict firearms to nothing more than a hand-made musket. That would not violate the 2nd.

Oh wow. The "well-regulated militia" argument.
    Did you seriously bring that up.
    Do I need to find the thread, or are we going to sling it out here?
    We could bring out, who is in the militia.
    We could maybe look up the word "regulated" as in reference to historical definition.
    Or we could hit the grammar argument about the placement of the comma, and what constitutes the parts of a sentence.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If my family ever makes outrageous claims about me like this I will haunt them worse than any horror movie ever created.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Sez you.

By that same analogy people should not be able to deliver the news via radio or television. After all you can read it in the paper.

Your interpretation of how the 2nd admendment reads is incorrect. It is written as an individual right. Reference to the mlitia is a statement of why that right was necessary.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Everyone is inherently capable of committing unspeakable horrors with these evil weapons therefore no one should be trusted with them. It's in the 2nd Amendment. I read it in the living document addition.

Unspeakable horrors were committed during the time of the American Revolution. The issue isn't about a generalized weapon, otherwise we would have to ban sticks, clubs, rocks, fists, feet, etc. Instead, the issue now before us is the ability of someone to use a hi-powered, hi-capacity firearm to commit unspeakable acts.

Ya know, people have used explosives to kill (e.g., 1924 Bath School Bombing), yet I don't hear people complaining about their inability to readily buy TNT, RDX or SEMTEX. We have lots of laws regarding explosives; why is that? Is it solely because explosives aren't considered "arms"?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sez you.

All I "sez" is what the Supreme Court has already determined. You want the Constitution changed, change it. There is an amendment process.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Stoner's family says “Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47,”.

An AK-47 is a fully automatic weapon, so I MUST assume they're talking about an M-16 which is a fully automatic weapon.

An AR15 is simply a semi-automatic ONLY rifle that looks a certain way.

Which begs the question, that I wonder how much the Stoner family members saying this actually know about firearms?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Freedom from mass shootings.
    Freedom from over-penetration.
    Freedom from shootings by toddlers.
    Freedom from in-discriminant drive-bys.

How has the NRA or any other group such as the 2nd Admendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America contributed to any of these issues.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    By that same analogy people should not be able to deliver the news via radio or television. After all you can read it in the paper.

Your interpretation of how the 2nd admendment reads is incorrect. It is written as an individual right. Reference to the mlitia is a statement of why that right was necessary.

First, it is well within the right of Congress to restrict the airwaves. Those were not conceived in the 18th century (nor was the automatic rifle). Go ahead and broadcast on the the AM or FM band, but don't be surprised if the FCC comes knocking. You wanna broadcast? Get a license and use the proper (i.e., "Legal") frequencies.

Your interpretation is incorrect. It is an individual right only in the sense that the individual belongs to a well-regulated militia. Otherwise, the first sentence of the 2nd is completely unnecessary. Madison was an astute writer, so didn't include unnecessary language (and even the "necessary" language took 13 years to be ratified by all parties).

Now, I have no doubt the Founders understood that many people would own firearms to feed their families and defend themselves, but I doubt they ever imagined 1 firearm for every 3 Americans, as exists today, nor could they imagine the power and capacity of such firearms.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Freedom from mass shootings. Shooter at the University of Texas in 1966 used an M1 carbine. Better get rid of yours if you still have it.

Freedom from over-penetration. .223 is a fantastic round for preventing over penetration. The Remington 700 you adore is much more likely to over penetrate.
    Freedom from shootings by toddlers. Pretty sure toddlers can do this with any gun, so you've got absolutely no point here.
    Freedom from in-discriminant drive-bys. And, again, any gun can be used for this. Once again you have no point.
    These are silly arguments.

Why don't you get rid of your guns? Or are you more qualified than the rest of us to own them?

Once again, "for me but not for thee" is what I think is going on here, but he'll never admit to it.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Cars in 2014 killed 32,675 people.

No one "needs" a car.
    Let them use buses, trains, or cabs.

You're completely correct. There is no right to own a car, so Congress could ban them. Also, they could mandate a maximum HP, a minimum MPG, airbags, crash-resistant bumpers, seatbelts, etc. - just as they have.

The auto industry fought several safety improvements, as they thought it could make people think cars were somehow inherently unsafe - imagine that. Ultimately, these features (not "bugs") were and are seen as positives by the public.

You really wanna drive a Corvair today??

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Freedom from mass shootings.
    Freedom from over-penetration.
    Freedom from shootings by toddlers.
    Freedom from in-discriminant drive-bys.
    You can clear your conscience and give up your guns if you are so inclined to do so. No one here will try to talk you out of doing so. As for me and mine we'll just keep ours. We have plenty of other uses for them other than the ones you have mentioned. We did'nt commit the crimes. We sleep quite well at night.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    First, it is well within the right of Congress to restrict the airwaves. Those were not conceived in the 18th century (nor was the automatic rifle). Go ahead and broadcast on the the AM or FM band, but don't be surprised if the FCC comes knocking. You wanna broadcast? Get a license and use the proper (i.e., "Legal") frequencies.

Your interpretation is incorrect. It is an individual right only in the sense that the individual belongs to a well-regulated militia. Otherwise, the first sentence of the 2nd is completely unnecessary. Madison was an astute writer, so didn't include unnecessary language (and even the "necessary" language took 13 years to be ratified by all parties).

Now, I have no doubt the Founders understood that many people would own firearms to feed their families and defend themselves, but I doubt they ever imagined 1 firearm for every 3 Americans, as exists today, nor could they imagine the power and capacity of such firearms.

So who is the militia?

You are correct that there are restrictions on the airwaves. Same as there are restrictions on the manufacture and sale of firearms. Same as there are rules in how land and other resources are used. But could you imagine the fallout if the government shutoff all internet, tv and radio. What if all of these mediums were owned by the government?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

You seem to fundamentally MIS-understand one thing. The second amendment does NOT grant individuals or "well regulated militias" the right to keep and bear arms. That right is a natural right, one of which "they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights".

Read. The. Text. The second amendment grants nothing but it restricts what the government can do in relation to this natural right. The bulk of the amendments are restrictions on the government's action.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville

The Founding fathers would have already used their "modern day muskets" to end oppressive government.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom