• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    i don't know about the mini-14, i've never shot one. i do however, have a mini-30. i know, same thing different caliber. my shoots great, but it isn't as accurate as an ar. it depends on what you want to use it for. if you're looking at getting into accuracy competitions where every little bit matters, go with an ar. if you want a fun to shoot, reliable gun that is accurate enough for any realistic hunting, home defense, or zombie situation, a mini will never let you down.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I see 2 advantages for the mini:
    1. It doesn't look like a evil black rifle. It's just a plain old ranch rifle.
    2. It's cheaper than most any AR.

If those things matter to you it's not a bad choice. Definitely not as accurate though.

You can build decent ARs for right about the same price as the base Mini. You can also spend significantly more building an AR.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i see where several folks have stated something like " the mini is a great rifle for SHTF, home defense, having fun shooting etc, but no they arent really accurate" this is a loose translation of course. but here is my question. if its not accurate then what good is it if it isnt accurate?

jake

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    i see where several folks have stated something like " the mini is a great rifle for SHTF, home defense, having fun shooting etc, but no they arent really accurate" this is a loose translation of course. but here is my question. if its not accurate then what good is it if it isnt accurate?

jake
    My Tactical is accurate... :D

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville

jake

i wouldn't call my mini inaccurate. i can put a round anywhere i want with it. i would say it isn't as accurate as an AR. i've seen AR's that group under an inch at 100 yds. my mini is about 1.5" at 100. i never have tried to shoot an AR myself at that range though. so i don't know if it would be any more accurate for me. here's mine. dead sexy.
    DSCF2001.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Never shot a mini, but I've been interested in them. Originally, they had a thin barrel that would do dumb things when hot. They've thickened the barrel, so you shouldn't see that with new ones. It uses a proprietary magazine, rather than an AR one. I've often wondered whether an AR mag could be modified. I've seen a few, but never bought because it wouldn't get me anything over the AR, and I doubt you could get one cheap enough to rule out an AR, unless you just can't bide the EBR.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Isn't the AR mag also proprietary? In other words, it can only be used in AR/M16 rifles and other rifles that have been designed to use them?

Ruger mags are easily obtainable and so are Pro-Mags. I have been told that Pro-Mags are GTG but I have never used one. Firing pins are available through Brownells. I have never needed one.

WWII was won with a 4 minute rifle. The Mini series will do better than that. All this emphasis on group size is not really relevant.

I have owned several pencil barrel Mini14's. I don't know where this business about group size opening up comes from. I have never seen it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I had a Ruger Mini 14. And I sold it to get an Aimpoint Micro and mount. Also got a rear iron site for my AR.

And I don't regret doing it :D

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    The Ruger mini 14 is a copy of the military M-14.
    A very poor copy.

I was curious about the mini 14 since I had qualified with the M-14 in the Marines in the early 70's.

First off, the peep sights looked barely functional compared to the sights on the M-14.

Of course, the mini was small enough it doesn't even feel like an M-14 when shouldered. I didn't even attempt to do any kind of manual of arms with the mini.

Although the bolt looked the same, the rifle had a decidedly cheaper overall feel and appears to have much wider tolerances than the M-14.

Obviously, I was really disapointed as I thought picking one of these up would satisfy my desire to handle an M-14 once again.

I don't expect the Mini-30 would fare any better.

These were my impressions anyway.

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I'm not down grading the mini 14 but I would get the AR15. They are far more versatile, the parts availability are very high. If you ever have a problem
    You can get parts on every corner it seems like and the options on what you can do with them are endless.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Some Mini-14 are made to shoot only .223. If it is stamped on the barrel .223 do not shoot the 5.56 thru that barrel. That info is straight from Ruger.
    The one stamped 5.56 can shoot either of them.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    I have a newer stainless mini-14 and i wouldn't trade it for anything. It has always been a tack driver and has NEVER jammed or misfired. I swear it would fire dirt if I crammed it in there. :ar15:
    I think ARs are awesome and I intend to build one of my own sometime, but every AR that I have ever been on the range with has jammed at some point.
    Just my :twocents:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    As far as reliability, the Mini14/30 wins hands down in the gas-operating system. Mini has a self-cleaning piston vs. ARs gas impingement. Look them up. Simple scientific facts and there is no debating which system is cleaner or more reliable. Border Patrol did a study on the AR vs. Mini two decades ago on which one would last longer without cleaning. Mini won.
    Mini +1

Accuracy goes to the AR in this area, but not by much. I have a newer Mini and it shoots 1.5 MOA @ 100yds all day long. AR shoots 1MOA or under, but in all honesty that really isn't that much.
    AR +1

Magazines all day long go to the AR. You can easily snag reliable ones all day long for under $10. Only go with factory ones for the Mini. At least $30 a pop.
    AR +1

Part wise I would go with the Mini. Less parts on it mean less parts to wear and replace.
    Mini +1

Modularity goes with the AR. A million different options for the AR, while the Mini not so much. You can get rails and and adjustable stocks for the Mini, but the choices are limited(Clyde's Armory are the best but cost $$$).
    AR +1

In all honesty, they are both great weapons and serve well for their intended purposes. Many people who hate on the Mini have never actually owned or shot one(mall ninjas). I've owned an older and a newer one. Complete night and day as far as the accuracy goes. If the SHTF, I wouldn't choose any of the above actually. It would be my SIG 556 or M1A Socom.:ingo:

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    My new ATI mini 14 has never skipped a beat was good on target inthe yard. I've added some extras and would not trade this at all.

Top Bottom