AR-15's easily converted to full auto, or BS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I'm a firearms lover. I love the mechanics of them and love knowing how they work. It's completely ok to know how things are made and how they function. No lines are crossed there.
    It's when people break the law no matter if we agree with comstitutionality of the NFA laws or not, they are there not to be ****ed with unless you want to be the next ruby ridge

Yeah, this is exactly where I'm at. I hate the post '86 ban and the NFA in general. But that battle needs to take place in congress and the courts, not in my yard with the Feds. My motto is "don't screw with stuff that can make your life suck" like venomous critters, power lines, and federal agents.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I've often thought about selling off a lot of my un or little used things to purchase a RDIAS but I probably wouldn't be able to run it much because of the ammo cost and the novelty would eventually wear off. That's a lot of money for a couple little pieces of metal joined as one, with an NFA number engraved on it.

And for what? I mean, it's cool like one time. I'd rather spend that money on an M60. Which will be exactly never for me.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah, this is exactly where I'm at. I hate the post '86 ban and the NFA in general. But that battle needs to take place in congress and the courts, not in my yard with the Feds. My motto is "don't screw with stuff that can make your life suck" like venomous critters, power lines, and federal agents.

Exactly!! Add nurses, flight attendants, and waitresses to that list and I'm on board 100%

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It’s like one of those urban legends that’s just been passed down through the years. An AR and m16 receiver do look markedly similar to someone who doesn’t know anything about guns.....so you MUST be able to just bubba together a full auto AR with not much of a fuss.

Honestly, guns are one subject that I think there should be a test to see if you have a basic amount of knowledge before you are allowed to express any sort of opinion.

Of course it is not that easy but would you think the spin masters of the MSM are going to tell the truth.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've often thought about selling off a lot of my un or little used things to purchase a RDIAS but I probably wouldn't be able to run it much because of the ammo cost and the novelty would eventually wear off. That's a lot of money for a couple little pieces of metal joined as one, with an NFA number engraved on it.

Me too and of coarse when I wanted to do that the market falls out the bottom of guns. Now id have to take a huge loss to sell
    They add up fast though. I layed out a couple nicer Ar's with IR lasers a suppressor, and a helmet with a PVS-14 and for some reason I added the cost of it up and I was almost at $10k. That's retail of coarse. Nuts

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It’s like one of those urban legends that’s just been passed down through the years. An AR and m16 receiver do look markedly similar to someone who doesn’t know anything about guns.....so you MUST be able to just bubba together a full auto AR with not much of a fuss.

Honestly, guns are one subject that I think there should be a test to see if you have a basic amount of knowledge before you are allowed to express any sort of opinion.

This is for another thread but I think the media should be in some way licensed or fact checked and held to facts and not opinions when reporting the news.
    It will never happen because they'd never allow that constitutional right to be infrindged yet, even though the 2nd amendment has even stronger language of not being infringed on they always attack it.
    They are allowed to cause mass panic and discourse a lot more than any gun has caused

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Me too and of coarse when I wanted to do that the market falls out the bottom of guns. Now id have to take a huge loss to sell
    They add up fast though. I layed out a couple nicer Ar's with IR lasers a suppressor, and a helmet with a PVS-14 and for some reason I added the cost of it up and I was almost at $10k. That's retail of coarse. Nuts

That's legit, though. That's something I would spend the coin on.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Agreed. Freedom of speech should be a separate issue from large scale blatant lying resulting in shifting of public opinion to suit certain agendas.

This is for another thread but I think the media should be in some way licensed or fact checked and held to facts and not opinions when reporting the news.
    It will never happen because they'd never allow that constitutional right to be infrindged yet, even though the 2nd amendment has even stronger language of not being infringed on they always attack it.
    They are allowed to cause mass panic and discourse a lot more than any gun has caused

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Jim Lucas drew up such a bill to prove a point about how hypocritical it is to regulate and license one right and not all the others. The press lost their collective crap.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie

The media figured out years ago that just plain facts doesn't make money. They have to stir up some :poop: in order to sell subscriptions/papers/magazines/etc. So, they do mostly OpEd crap that will push people's buttons. There are NO media outlets that stick to straight facts, and integrity is right out the darn window.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Let me preface this by saying that I have no interest in illegally converting an AR-15 to be fully automatic.

However, I am getting tired of hearing 2A deniers claim that converting an AR-15 to full auto is "easy," and would like some information to counter these claims.

After doing some research, it seems that there are two scenarios. The first involves converting a modern AR-15 to select fire. From what I gather, this requires machining the receiver to accommodate a full auto sear, replacing the trigger group with one capable of full auto (and this is more complicated than simply filing down some parts) and replacing the BCG with one designed for full auto.

The second scenario involves converting an AR-15 to full auto with no option for semi-automatic fire. I have not been able to find much information on this, but one source suggested that simply installing a full auto sear would accomplish this (although it would require quite a bit of machining of a modern receiver).

Could anyone expand on whether this is accurate?

If anti-gunners were smart, they wouldn't attack the issue from a "convert it to full auto" perspective. Rate of fire is the easier argument to make.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The inerds of the AR-15 are different than the inerds of the M-16. The parts that make an AR-15 an M-16 are reeeeelly expensive. If you don't use the reeeeeeeeeeelly expensive parts it will blow up in your face. Then after you get out of the hospital you'll go to prison. That is all.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Theyre only reeeeeealy expensive because of 1986. **** that year.

The inerds of the AR-15 are different than the inerds of the M-16. The parts that make an AR-15 an M-16 are reeeeelly expensive. If you don't use the reeeeeeeeeeelly expensive parts it will blow up in your face. Then after you get out of the hospital you'll go to prison. That is all.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side

Yeah, I hear that. And my Nascar miniatures collection is probably not worth as much as I think.

Top Bottom