AR-15's easily converted to full auto, or BS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Open bolt conversion. Remove trigger and FCG. Cut firing pin, weld so it's permanently protruding. Use bolt release to fire the weapon. :laugh:

50% of the time, it doesn't blow up every time.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    The inerds of the AR-15 are different than the inerds of the M-16. The parts that make an AR-15 an M-16 are reeeeelly expensive. If you don't use the reeeeeeeeeeelly expensive parts it will blow up in your face. Then after you get out of the hospital you'll go to prison. That is all.

If you're talking the 3 round burst fire control group yes. But just a full auto lower parts kit, they're about the same as a standard ar15 parts kit. Several vendors at the Knob Creek machine gun shoot sell them usually around $60-$70. Now if someone wanted to be an idiot and install those parts you're going to jail. PERIOD. You would be surprised how many people buy those though, they usually sell out. Standard mil spec BCG that has the "extra meat" on the bottom run $80<. BCG is really no big deal, I see those in a lot of standard ar15s both home built and store bought. I think I have a couple of the BCG myself in a couple I own. As far as the lower parts kit, H@#$ NO! I don't want any of that juju, I like my guns I wanna keep them haha

for the OP or anyone else that wants to see they difference between the two. There is a great website called GrabCAD. Online Solidworks and AutoCAD community that shares their files for free ranging from cars, guns to kitchen designs. They provide the 3D models for both ar15 and m16. Downloading these particular files might be a little, how should I say? Frowned upon.. But obtaining the information for learning purposes isn't illegal, owning/making one is, without the right paperwork and licensing of course. Little disclaimer about the GrabCAD is you need to have either Solidworks or AutoCAD program on your computer and one heck of a computer to be able to run it. I've been lucky and work has provided me with a great laptop with a license company seat for solidworks. My teacher has also giving me a 3 year license for AutoCAD Inventor also. There is also an app/game you can get for your phone, computer or what ever you wish to put it on called "World of Guns: Gun disassembly". VERY VERY good learning aid that allows you to see the internal working of various firearms. The game is for free but if you pay $50 your get lifetime access to all the models the have currently and anything that comes out in the future. I went ahead and paid the $50 myself WELL WORTH IT.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Some AR-15s are more easily converted to full-auto than others. Some AR-15s use the same bolt as the full auto version. But some AR-15 manufacturers, my LMT is an example, use a bolt that is different than a bolt on a full auto. There is more material cut out of the front of the bolt above where the selector would be installed on a full auto ("extra meat" that spook was referring to). This type of bolt, commonly referred to as a semi-auto bolt, is not capable of being converted to full auto due to the missing material, the bolt will not engage the sear which is the normal function on a full auto. An AR-15 with this type of bolt can not be converted, regardless of what modification someone attempts to the sear. It will still bump fire, but can not be converted to true full auto. Would have to replace the bolt carrier group, as spook was describing.

Last edited:

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    VERY EASY. Used to be a company out of N.C. that went to the 1500 every year. They sold empty suppressor tubes. Table next to them sold suppressor rebuilding kits, all the internals. They also sold 'replacement parts' for 'worn out conversion full auto kits.' They stated all you need is a drill and a Dremil.

I don't know know how they did that for so long or how many illegal cans, or full auto kits, are floating around indy.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    As you can all see from these Facebook posts.....Most of the time you can convert a gun into a "Machine Gun" by simply removing a small pin .
    But then it may make the gun just a little more automatic than semi-automatic, just under full automatic.......
    Or.......you could simply convert one of your pump action, bolt action, or better yet ,thinking you can convert single shot rifles to fire semi-auto . ( I know there were some successful conversions out there, but not like "they " think )
    This is the mindset of the majority of most anti-gunners . I have tried to educate them .......bit can`t seem to make the Horse Drink .
    While a bit entertaining to read .......most are sending a message that is believable to some .

View attachment 64255 View attachment 64256 View attachment 64257

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I watched a guy convert one to full auto with a shim of some kind in about twenty minutes once... Walked out back and almost died. Easy? Yes. Safe? Not in the least.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It's doesn't matter how easy or not it is to do. I could put a full tang bowie knife in my sawzaw and have an automatic knife (ooooooowww ahhhhhhh), or I could even use a battery pack sawzaw and have a fully concealeble full auto knife of death (ahhhhhhh).
    The fact of the matter is it's illegal and if you do it you're going to club fed and your dog and wife and kid might get shot before that happens. Worth it? Na I didn't think so.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    This is for another thread but I think the media should be in some way licensed or fact checked and held to facts and not opinions when reporting the news.
    It will never happen because they'd never allow that constitutional right to be infrindged yet, even though the 2nd amendment has even stronger language of not being infringed on they always attack it.
    They are allowed to cause mass panic and discourse a lot more than any gun has caused
    If the NRA etc had bloomberg's money, it would be possible to just bury them in law suits for slander to damages caused by disinformation. They could whine about freedom of the press all day and still get their noses rubbed in the concept that rights and responsibility are a package deal.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    But he knew what he was doing, and did it legally, did he not?
    I’m not following. The OPs question wasn’t about doing it legally, it was about taking a semi auto lower and converting it to full auto. I just gave an example of doing it. The info and tools are out there for someone to do it.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I’m not following. The OPs question wasn’t about doing it legally, it was about taking a semi auto lower and converting it to full auto. I just gave an example of doing it. The info and tools are out there for someone to do it.

You're right. I guess my thinking was that the media portrays it as being so easy to do that any Joe with an AR15 and a drill could do it in his garage. I see a difference between what Zborn did and what the average, uninformed anti thinks can be done. Plus, along with the idea that anyone can do it is the idea that they would do it whether or not it was done legally.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    You're right. I guess my thinking was that the media portrays it as being so easy to do that any Joe with an AR15 and a drill could do it in his garage. I see a difference between what Zborn did and what the average, uninformed anti thinks can be done. Plus, along with the idea that anyone can do it is the idea that they would do it whether or not it was done legally.
    I do get what you are saying but they are not taking about the average Joe, they are talking about gun owners that own “Assault Weapons” and my OPINION is that most of “us” could do it with the info and tools that are out there.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    You just need to file off the sear my brother said as if he had done thousands of them. That is what my brother told me about 40 years ago about making any semi auto full auto. I asked him what is a sear ? After all, a 9 year old hasn't usually familiarized himself with the trigger group yet. "I don't know, but it sounds easy.

Amazing how many talk about it like they have done it and yet have no clue. If you know how to properly convert one that will not just blow up in your face then you can build one from scratch. You need to drill it in exactly the right spot. Then you basically need to remove all the parts, pins, springs, and replace them with a completely different set of full auto versions that you can't just go down to the dime store and pick up. Can it be done? Sure. If you want to kill lots of people like these nuts do there are a lot easier more effective ways to do it. How about the guy who rented a truck and drove through the crowd killing 77 in France. How about the basic pressure cooker bomb made and delivered to the Boston Marathon? Explosives are far more dangerous and easy to make, and can be put on basic timer you can get anywhere and repeat the act over and over before caught. But lets worry about the modern sporting rifle, because it is the one product that the framers though enough to write "shall not be infringed" because they knew it was the one product that would allow "We The People" to keep "You the Government" in check.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Correct. Again, there are three ways to do it that are correct (re: not dangerous and stupid).

1) Third pin in the lower with full auto fire control group
    2) Drop in auto sear with full auto fire control group
    3) Lightning link with full auto fire control group and modified BCG

None of the above can be done on a stock AR with a stock fire control group with a dremel and a drill. The only way you can bubba a full auto is to do an open bolt conversion and risk blowing up your face (seriously, you'd have to be missing a few chromosomes to fire something this stupidly dangerous).

But he knew what he was doing, and did it legally, did he not?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    As you can all see from these Facebook posts.....Most of the time you can convert a gun into a "Machine Gun" by simply removing a small pin .
    But then it may make the gun just a little more automatic than semi-automatic, just under full automatic.......
    Or.......you could simply convert one of your pump action, bolt action, or better yet ,thinking you can convert single shot rifles to fire semi-auto . ( I know there were some successful conversions out there, but not like "they " think )
    This is the mindset of the majority of most anti-gunners . I have tried to educate them .......bit can`t seem to make the Horse Drink .
    While a bit entertaining to read .......most are sending a message that is believable to some .

View attachment 64255 View attachment 64256 View attachment 64257

Assault gin. Sounds tasty!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, here I go again, learning the dangerous things so you don't have to. I got curious about this stuff 30 years ago after I'd bought my first AR.

Suffice it to say, any Billy Joe or Jim Bob with a couple of files can turn a perfectly good SA/FA M16 into an SA-only AR15 with the removal of the right metal from the right pieces parts. The other way, not so much. IIRC, there's only one part in the AR15 that has more metal than the corresponding part in the M16. You would wind up having to make a fresh new set of M16 parts. There are much easier ways to get a ticket to prison.

A few years ago, Sportsman's Guide had a deal for a full kit missing only the lower, but the kit as photographed was M16 including the auto sear. I wasn't about to buy that.

Top Bottom