• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Here's the answer I usually give when asked about steel ammo:

Steel cased ammo is harder on your extractor.
    Most of the steel cased ammo makers have much larger inconsistencies with velocities and MOA.
    You're more likely to run into some out of spec cartridges with this stuff.

With all that said, compare 1000 rds of Wolf/Tula/Silver Bear etc at $200, to 1000 rounds of brass cased whatever for $300-$400. Assume you shot 2,000 rounds a year (saving $200-400).

Would you be ok replacing your extractor for well under $50, and replacing the entire bolt for less than $100 at the end of the year?

Will it ruin your day if your plinking ammo is 6-8MOA as opposed to 2-4MOA? (How often do we shoot at 100+ yards anyway? I'd rather use my quality HD ammo for that kind of shooting to ensure my zero anyway. I'd bet I shoot less than 50 rounds a year from 100 yards, and often much less).

Will it kill your puppy if you have to take a few minutes on infrequent occasions to clear a few failures to fire, popped primers, or stuck cases while plinking? (By the way, I've shot thousands of rounds of wolf through a 5.56 chamber and never had a stuck case. A friend with a .223 gun has had them on occasion. One more +1 for spending and extra $100 bucks on a quality AR/upper/barrel that has a true 5.56 chamber. This isn't due to cheap ammo being 5.56, but having cartridges out of spec).

I don't have any problem using steel ammo. I do however take it for what its worth - lower quality ammo that I wouldn't use for defense, will be harder on certain parts, and wouldn't use during a training class I've already spent big $$$ to attend (I've paid for the time and I don't want that time being wasted fixing a rifle/clearing malfunctions).

On any occasion you'd find about 1,000 to 2,000 rounds of steel ammo and about only about 300 rounds of quality defense ammo (TAP, MK318) in my safe. As I shoot the good stuff, I replace it so I've always got about 300 rounds that aren't older than a few years.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My AR only sees about 50 yrds at the most, I use it for run-n-gun and just target practice. Granted I like acurate ammo but I like shooting also. So if I use something a little less expensive, I could get to shoot more.

But i see what your saying though, so it wouldnt bother me to replace a few parts as time went on.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Ok, I have used it until! I was ordering some target ammo and found that USSammo.com and the-armory.com have stopped shipping this ammo. Their web site says that they have problems with ammo. I don't know what they are.
    However, when I read the manual on my AR it states that warranty does not include foreign manufactured ammo or steel case. So now what. I still have some and don't know what to do with it? I have shot some Isrealli ammo and it shoots fine.
    I have shot the Wolf ammo and again it is fine. But I do come back to the manual that says not to use steel casing.
    I have bought better ammo, but buy in bulk. It is alittle bit cheaper this way and I can recover the brass. I have loaded with new brass and quality bullets w/Varget powder. It functions fine and clean. The ammo works out to be about .52 to .54 cents a round.
    I can buy Federal for about .30 cents a round. (1000 rds)
    I can buy Federal w/steel penetrator for .31 cents a 1000 rds.
    The wolf is about .21 to .24 cents @ thousand. (With shipping and tax) So its not worth .10 a round to waste a barrel on. (most manufacturer's say that the barrel is only going to have 2000 rds of supremely accurate shots)
    Good luck

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I bought a case of Silver Bear 165gr bts 3006 ammo for my bolt action rifles. I'm sure it won't hurt them as they are not cycling through the gun like an AR. It was a good deal, and except for a bit of extra cleaning, just good plinking ammo for a high powered rifle.

Now, using Silver Bear 223 in any of my AR's, well, it'll never happen, as I have too much respect for my weapons.

JMHO:)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    210.00 bucks a case, Sport garden( a little shop were I live). I think im gonna get 100rds of it an just try it ou an see how it does. I clean my AR after every time its shot, and I just cant justify the more expensive stuff just to plink around with. So we will see how it does

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Buckshot Sporting Goods in Winchester, IN has zinc washed steel case 55gr fmj on sale for $5 a box if you buy over 500 rounds. Oops, sorry, it's made by RWS.

I gave it a try last weekend and it ran great in my carbine. Hard to beat at that price. I'll be using it in an upcoming carbine class.

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I shoot a little bit of everything honsetly, steel cased ammo isn't the devil in an AR. Although I usually shoot PMC 62 gr, my rifle likes that stuff. :): I have wolf, PMC, Tula, Remington, American Eagle, Federal, Lake City. It all shoots good for me.

Top Bottom