Indianapolis, IN US
    Remington's RGP (Remington Gas Piston) upper receiver group:

149647_501814951753_204169191753_7174314_1266667_n.jpg

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've handled one of the Remington AR's, can't remember the particular one. It had the "inadequate" direct gas system. I really liked it. The balance and handling was much more reminiscent of the ones I'm used to than the newer, heavier ARs.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Perceived by who?

Adding a piston system to the AR design isn't the answer to any "perceived shortfalls".

14.5" only sure ought to keep most of the regular public from trying one out too. I'm guessing it won't be cheap to begin with, and to need a tax stamp just to try it out doesn't sound like a good way to dive into the market.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    14.5" only sure ought to keep most of the regular public from trying one out too. I'm guessing it won't be cheap to begin with, and to need a tax stamp just to try it out doesn't sound like a good way to dive into the market.

i am sure with the pinned flash suppressor it will meet the requirements like a lot of the ar's on the market now with out a tax stamp.

it does look pretty sexy though i like it :)

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Look at the website at the bottom. Remingtondefense? I doubt we'll have access to such a beast.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    14.5" only sure ought to keep most of the regular public from trying one out too.

I doubt we'll have access to such a beast.

This RGP upper is the brainchild of Remington Military Products Division, which is also developing the LE/Mil version of the ACR, and the new M24E1 sniper system. A civilian version of the RGP upper is said to be in the works.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    The guys at AAC having been posting vids and tidbits about this guy most of the year now. It looks good, but not sure they added enough metal to the whole thing. The charging handle is still in a poor spot and we're still using the same bolt/catch and mag release, so besides the Gas Piston which does help in reliability they failed to address some of the key ergonomics issues with the M4, Yawn. Welcome to the party Remington, by the way you're late.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I like the charging handle right where it's at. I used to, many moons ago, carry my M16 muzzle down with a loose sling. From this position, I could have the rifle up, swipe the charging handle with the off hand, and be able to put a round center chest at 7 yards faster than I could clear a pistol out of a holster.

Course, not everybody needs to be able to use the M16 at really close ranges, but that's one reason I liked it.

Wonder how long it would take me to do that drill now. Probably two or three days LOL.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I am going to laugh when the new rage 5 years from now is the amazing "piston-less" AR system that retails for lower than comparable pistoned ARs.

When everyone gets tired of making overpriced ARs with little to no innovation that have little market movement, give me a call...

I gotta agree with the one post earlier: Percieved? By who? Actual troops or gobberish spewed by shows like "Future Weapons" to get us hyped up over overhyped weapons features that add complexity and parts numbers to weapons that are already working just fine...

Besides, for the cost of these rifles, who is actually buying them? Police? Don't they know a recession is on and their market share is shakey at best? Depending on LEO or miltary contracts when those are pretty well set is a gamble at best. Hey Remington, Barrett, Ruger and all the rest, 2004 called, they wanted their rifles then when people had the money!

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    In close quarters the M4 in it's present configuration can be cumbersome to manipulate the charging handle in it's current location, it also involves the shooter making wasted movements to charge, lock the bolt to the rear, etc.. The charging handle if located on the side like and ACR/SCAR/AK Variant allows the shooter to make the same actions possible with out the wasted movement, from the firing position. The ACR with the bolt release and Ambi Charging handle make it very efficient in the use of movement. An AR variant would benefit with greatly from a truly Ambi bolt catch/release and new charging handle.

As for the whole piston argument. They work and should have been implemented long ago. I've owned 3 different piston guns and still own 1, and will be getting another one here shortly. Compared side by side with my DI guns, they do run much cleaner and cooler, require a lot less maintenance and are a snap to clean. I've had 0 issues with them, and I surely put them through a lot of stress and they work. I'd stake my life on them any day and think they are great. The inexpensive CMMG has been a solid rifle for me and has been around for a while now. We have the operating system down pat now, lets look at the ergonomic of the platform and make some head way there..

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I will agree with the cooler and less heat, but good lord they are expensive compared to many of the other AR variants on the market. Is that because each company makes their bolt different?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I will agree with the cooler and less heat, but good lord they are expensive compared to many of the other AR variants on the market. Is that because each company makes their bolt different?

Not sure really. My first was an LWRC, I think I paid 2300 for it. It was nice though. CMMG guns sells for 1095.00 which is a great price and they make a nice carbine anyway. In my opinion the CMMG works just as good if not better than the LWRC. Fewer parts, and much more affordable.

There are plenty of sub 1500.00 piston guns now. I still have people pay that colt a basic colt M4, that to me is crazy.

More than anything a lot of companies are just off their rockers with what they think they can sell them for.

While the RGP from Remington looks cool and I am sure it's great. LMT has been making that for a while now. Their MRP line has done everything this one does for about 3 years now, but just because it's Remington and they've got AAC in their pockets now, it's a big deal.

MarioMarietta

Marksman
    Rating - 96.9%
    61   2   1
    Apr 20, 2010
    Clinton Indiana
    He is right! Why screw with the AR? I'm waiting for someone to develop a AK 47 gas system! If you take care of your AR/M16 variant there is no problems!

I am going to laugh when the new rage 5 years from now is the amazing "piston-less" AR system that retails for lower than comparable pistoned ARs.

When everyone gets tired of making overpriced ARs with little to no innovation that have little market movement, give me a call...

I gotta agree with the one post earlier: Percieved? By who? Actual troops or gobberish spewed by shows like "Future Weapons" to get us hyped up over overhyped weapons features that add complexity and parts numbers to weapons that are already working just fine...

Besides, for the cost of these rifles, who is actually buying them? Police? Don't they know a recession is on and their market share is shakey at best? Depending on LEO or miltary contracts when those are pretty well set is a gamble at best. Hey Remington, Barrett, Ruger and all the rest, 2004 called, they wanted their rifles then when people had the money!

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    If you take care of your AR/M16 variant there is (are) no problems!

You can't always take care of your weapon the way it should. My piston gun has out ran my DI gun round for round on many occasions. Where I have to stop to lube the DI midday during training the Piston just runs. The AR in one basic sentence operates by sh*tting where it eats.

Would anyone buy an AK if it had a DI gas system? What would the advantage to it be?

What if you had an AK and someone said to you it should run fine if you clean it properly?

How many other weapon before and since have utilized a DI operating system?

Top Bottom