• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Building a new AR and I can't quite decideqhich route I wanna go on optics.

It's a 16" midlength gas. I might occasionally reach out to couple hundred yards with it, but not often. Should I go red dot or ahould I consider a low power scope? I'm budgeting $400 for it, so it won't be too crazy expensive.

As soon as all the parts come in (hopefully before Thanksgiving) I'll post it up so there'a a better idea of what it is.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I have the new Primary Arms 1-6 with ACSS Nova reticle. $340 and a decent AR mount will have you in your budget. Its a wire reticle that is a single red dot that IS daylight bright. So its like a red dot on 1x but can zoom for several hundred yard shots. It is a simple reticle without all the clutter of the other 1-6 illuminated reticles. The ones with the drop data are OK, but not that bright during the day.

Its not my home defense weapon because it does not replace a good red dot due to the eye box of a scope, but if I have to exit the house, thats what I'm grabbing for its versatility.

Reactions: Ark

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

It's a 16" midlength gas. I might occasionally reach out to couple hundred yards with it, but not often. Should I go red dot or ahould I consider a low power scope? I'm budgeting $400 for it, so it won't be too crazy expensive.

As soon as all the parts come in (hopefully before Thanksgiving) I'll post it up so there'a a better idea of what it is.

$321 includes shipping and taxes.
    Use Code: STRIKE

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 GEN2 Riflescope, and a Vortex Sport Cantilever 30mm AR Mount
    1700303607856.png

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In that price range.

AimPoint Pro (red dot)
    Burris RT6
    Riton Tactix3
    Vortex Strike Eagle

For what you described I would probably go with the Burris. In my opinion it is a little clearer and has a more forgiving eye box than the Riton or the Vortex. It is only 6x though and a little more magnification would be nice. The 1x is the best of the options listed.

I have the Riton on a .308 and have no problem putting shots on the head box of a target at 200 yards off the bench.

I think the Vortex is overrated but still possibly the best value as you can catch it on sale and it has name recognition.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you want magnified, I have had good luck with the PA SLX 3X X 32 and 2.5X X 32 (compact).

You can get both around 3 bills.

My fave, the SLX 1X ACSS "Cyclops" is $275ish. I really like this as the etching is fantastic and my cornea need not be touching the prism.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Vert, is dead on about red dots, for me, it is Aimpoint or nothing, and I gave the MD-25 a long try.

I went Comp5 but that is well above 4 bills.

This is the MD-25. A solid dot but a B whereas Aimpoint is an A+.}

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Never thought somebody like Kirk would ever at I was right about something. After all I am not a very bright guy.

I did a quick search and the AimPoint Pro is $482 from all of the reputable online retailers. But next week would be a good time to keep your eyes open for a deal.
    Did you say something bad about Colt or roll marks or similar wrong things?

The Bronies do not approve.

1700314397157.png

Those M68ish clones (StrikeFire II) from Vortex are solid Bs too and if you catch a sale you can get two of them. Can get them in red and green. I prefer green because I get halo with red in my zombie eye (ALK cornea replacement).

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

200yd and in? For me the answer is a red dot or a PA 2x (as long as this rifle is more of a range gun). You can shoot the 2x with both eyes open like a red dot, it's not so magnified that you lose a ton of field of view at closer targets, and hits at 200yds on man size targets will not be challenging. Plus the footprint will be smaller than an LPVO. Probably 4-5oz lighter too. Zero at 50y and you'll have same POA for 50-200y. Easy peasy

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What was your reservations about the PA MD-25?

Fragility/ruggedness. Great range optic, and if that is what you need, it is awesome. Just have more . . . confidence in an M68 (Comp4/Comp4S). The MD-25 that I had on a M6920SOCOM I replaced with a Comp5, put MD-25 to a C rifle (a SIG M400 IIRC).

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Fragility/ruggedness. Great range optic, and if that is what you need, it is awesome. Just have more . . . confidence in an M68 (Comp4/Comp4S). The MD-25 that I had on a M6920SOCOM I replaced with a Comp5, put MD-25 to a C rifle (a SIG M400 IIRC).
    Did it actually fail on you?

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Just got a base MD25 delivered yesterday,...PA had a sale a few days ago for $130 with $30 in bonus bucks so a hundred is cheap for something that solid. I'd prefer the upgraded model with 'Auto-Live' but that's another $50 and I really don't do red dots because of my eyes. Sold off all my AimPoints, Eotechs and Trijicons. I'm 95% prisms and LPVO now.

Shop the sales and catch Primary Arms when they're weak. In the last 6mos I've bought 6 of the 2.5x compact prisms for $100 each and at last count 18 of the 3x SLX MicroPrisms for $225 each delivered. All these come with pretty decent mounts and they're tiny,...especially the Micros. All my LPVOs are a bit dated,.....KonusPro M30 1x4 when I picked up almost a dozen for something like $105 apiece when Optics Planet closed them out. I still see them on ebay for close to $300 now.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI

$321 includes shipping and taxes.
    Use Code: STRIKE

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 GEN2 Riflescope, and a Vortex Sport Cantilever 30mm AR Mount
    View attachment 312741
    This. Just bought two more. At $299 it’s a steal. I have these on all of mine and love them. Deal is still going. Just make sure to type in the code for ythe savings

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    This. Just bought two more. At $299 it’s a steal. I have these on all of mine and love them. Deal is still going. Just make sure to type in the code for ythe savings
    That is seriously a steal of a deal. The mount alone is over $100. Too bad I don't have any more rifles that need optics...or is it a reason to buy more?

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I'm with Kirk here on the PA prisms.

Especially the new microprisms. I have a couple of the 3x and a 5x and the eyebox is INCREDIBLY forgiving compared to any magnifier I've tried using behind a red dot.

I'd personally go with the 3x over the 5x but I got a good deal on the 5 and wanted to try it.

I really think the non-micro 5x PA prisms are wonderful budget ACOGs too. The new microprisms have a horrible piggyback option compared to the bigger ones with a pic rail on top.

You can get a 5x prism + piggyback 407c for 1/3 the price of an acog + rmr bundle when they're on sale. At a normal price bundle for those two the PA/holosun combo is even less than that.

And it's so hard to beat. The 5x + piggyback on a 308 AR is lots of fun.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Some really great and affordable options have already been posted , particularly the deal on the 1-8 attack chicken but I'll toss one in the ring also
    The sig 1-6 tango msr is pretty nice , the included mount is sturdy , alignment mark on the scope itself as well as all necessary torque values printed on the mount was a nice touch
    Mine has a surprisingly rugged and well built feel to it and it can routinely be found at 300 or under
    Got mine on sale for 250 but I think in recent times the lowest I've seen it was 275

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom