• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    If it’s your only AR and you intend for it to fill a defensive roll if push comes to shove, get an Aimpoint Pro or Duty and be done. They’re simple, rugged, proven optics that are fast and intuitive to use, and a 2MOA dot will do everything you need out to 200y aside from target PID (positive ID) if you zero the rifle appropriately. If your eyes are good enough, hits on IPSC targets out to 500 can be done all day long without issue.

If, however, you want to increase your ability to ID targets at distance and make more precise hits, I’m a fan of the first gen Steiner P4Xi 1-4x, or the PST Gen2 1-6x. You’ll have to find used but well cared for examples at that price point, but they’re out there. I know PA and several other companies have decent LPVOs these days, but I have no personal experience with them so I won’t comment there.

But again, if it’s primarily a “social work” and plinking rifle, my suggestion is an Aimpoint Pro or Duty. With a spare lithium battery, you’d have ~10 years of optic “life” if things ever went truly sour. Buy once, cry once!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have the new Primary Arms 1-6 with ACSS Nova reticle. $340 and a decent AR mount will have you in your budget. Its a wire reticle that is a single red dot that IS daylight bright. So its like a red dot on 1x but can zoom for several hundred yard shots. It is a simple reticle without all the clutter of the other 1-6 illuminated reticles. The ones with the drop data are OK, but not that bright during the day.

Its not my home defense weapon because it does not replace a good red dot due to the eye box of a scope, but if I have to exit the house, thats what I'm grabbing for its versatility.

I have one of these. It shaves a couple ounces off the nearest competitors. Consistently going for under $300 now and it's absurd how much optic you get for the money.

My favorite little detail is the fiber optic dot is illuminated even inside the scope shadow, so you actually get a lot more slop in the eyebox shooting at 1x with both eyes open than you might guess.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I have one of these. It shaves a couple ounces off the nearest competitors. Consistently going for under $300 now and it's absurd how much optic you get for the money.

My favorite little detail is the fiber optic dot is illuminated even inside the scope shadow, so you actually get a lot more slop in the eyebox shooting at 1x with both eyes open than you might guess.
    Absolutely! And at that brightness it gives another advantage. Close the front scope cap and practice shooting with both eyes open. Your brain will adjust and you CAN shoot like this. It is easier with a nice bright dot. That also helps for those weird shots where it might be in the outter edge that is black like you spoke of. I have other scope with the bdc reticles and they aren't as bright and they are fairly busy for me to do this.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If it’s your only AR and you intend for it to fill a defensive roll if push comes to shove, get an Aimpoint Pro or Duty and be done. They’re simple, rugged, proven optics that are fast and intuitive to use, and a 2MOA dot will do everything you need out to 200y aside from target PID (positive ID) if you zero the rifle appropriately. If your eyes are good enough, hits on IPSC targets out to 500 can be done all day long without issue.

If, however, you want to increase your ability to ID targets at distance and make more precise hits, I’m a fan of the first gen Steiner P4Xi 1-4x, or the PST Gen2 1-6x. You’ll have to find used but well cared for examples at that price point, but they’re out there. I know PA and several other companies have decent LPVOs these days, but I have no personal experience with them so I won’t comment there.

But again, if it’s primarily a “social work” and plinking rifle, my suggestion is an Aimpoint Pro or Duty. With a spare lithium battery, you’d have ~10 years of optic “life” if things ever went truly sour. Buy once, cry once!
    Not my only one. I already have one SBR'd. Then I told the wife I wanted to build another. The local shop had Anderson lowers for $60 each, so I jumped on all three of them.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

$321 includes shipping and taxes.
    Use Code: STRIKE

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 GEN2 Riflescope, and a Vortex Sport Cantilever 30mm AR Mount
    View attachment 312741
    Thank you. I sat on this one for a few days, but ultimately the deal was too good to pass up. Just got it in today and changed my AR setups a little bit.

Attachments

• 20231207_185042.jpg
      20231207_185042.jpg
      689.3 KB · Views: 9
    Top Bottom