• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    So based on the overwhelming love for these, I take it shooting them is not so harsh like the Sub2K?

Depends, there are some hot supersonic 300blk that have some kick. The magtech 123gr fmjs are easy with a break. Subs are very soft. The sub2k was unexplainably stupid to the user. 10.5" barrel should be more gentle than my 7.5 and 8.5

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I sold my 16" and 18"rifles and slapped a 10.5 Palmetto kit together. It's so much nicer in every way! Will be getting a 9mm glock flavored one soon. Don't forget ammo and mags! Buy it!

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    DSC_7602w_zps75i0ntjw.jpg

I picked up this 8" PSA a couple months ago and it a blast to shoot! (flashlight is now on the left side)

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    A Glock mag fed 9mm pistol is likely going to be my next purchase. Just not sure whether to build or buy.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Y7ZN6gE.jpg

OP,

I had the same question a while back. After putting together my first one, I couldn't be more happy with my 300blk pistol. Here are some random thoughts and why I went with 300blk AND the pistol platform...

- The 300blk rounds lend themselves well to a short barrel. You'll find that most 300blk ammo will burn the entire gunpowder charge within a 9" barrel. Not true with the 5.56 NATO round. Launching 5.56 rounds from a 9" barrel will result in substantial muzzle flash and pronounced bang.

- The recoil on my 300blk with supersonic rounds feels no different to me than a traditional 5.56 mid-length gas system weapon. Very little muzzle rise and relatively low recoil.

- My particular BCM upper is surprisingly accurate. Almost jaw-dropping accurate. Like we're talking 1MOA or better (within 100 yards anyway). With my Aimpoint on top of this pistol, I can bring the weapon from low/high ready to shooting position, acquire target, and put a round (or 10) exactly where I want it PDQ.

- You can choose to shoot the 300blk in traditional or subsonic velocities. Subsonic is great for suppression and traditional velocity puts the hurt on most prey. You don't have these options with 5.56

- Choosing a pistol platform over an SBR build can give you more flexibility. A pistol, for example can be carried in a vehicle (loaded) in many states (check your local laws). Conversely, these same states may prohibit loaded rifles in vehicles.

- You may also find that hunting with a pistol is allowed in some jurisdictions, whereas hunting with an SBR is not allowed in those same areas.

- 300blk ammo is more expensive than 5.56, but I'm okay with that. Especially considering the aforementioned advantages. This weapon is not for plinking on a sunny weekend afternoon for hours on end.

- My ammo selection is currently Barnes VOR-TX 300 Blackout 110gr TAC. Wicked round. For target practice/training, I typically go with something more affordable (e.g. S&B, Fiocchi, etc.)

Attachments

• IMG_2352.jpg
      IMG_2352.jpg
      247.6 KB · Views: 13
    Last edited:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Go for it! You’ll be glad you did. If you’ve shot a 5.56 AR15, then you know what an AR pistol feels like. No perceptible difference unless you go really short on barrel length, in which case they get pretty noisy.

5.56 is fine. 300BLK is great too, but the ballistics suck. 6.5 Grendel is my favorite, and cheap parts are available from PSA, and cheap ammo from Wolf.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    There is a very noticeable difference with 556 and 300blk with barrels under 10". 556 and super sonic 300blk can be unpleasant at7.5, but fun.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Great... I was doing pretty good about not having a pistol until seeing this thread.

One question just to confirm, when I buy the ar lower, shouldn't I have them mark the 4473 that it is a handgun, or mark it as other (section B, #16)?

Thanks!

Ron

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Great... I was doing pretty good about not having a pistol until seeing this thread.

One question just to confirm, when I buy the ar lower, shouldn't I have them mark the 4473 that it is a handgun, or mark it as other (section B, #16)?

Thanks!

Ron

Everywhere I know does them as other.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was told by a reputable shop regarding lowers:
    If its stripped, its other. (qualifies for pistol)
    If it is configured as a pistol, its a pistol. (Or other)
    If its got a standard buffer tube or stock its will be marked as a rifle.
    I asked because I had a built lower shipped in and was hoping it would have been an "other" since it wasnt complete.

At first I was like "I'll just strip it and convert it. Who's gonna know?" Then I realized with my luck something would happen to call attention to it (use it in self defense or something) and it would turn up what I did, and I'm just too pretty for prison.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, anyone know about when an 9mm stops gaining velocity from a rifle barrel? All this talk about pistols has me considering selling my AR9 carbine and buying an AR9 pistol.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you buy a stripped lower receiver it's transferred as "other" on the 4473 and you can configure it any way you want. Pistol to rifle and back, or rifle to pistol and back.

If you start with a fully built pistol lower (regardless of whether it has an upper or not) it's transferred as a "pistol" or "handgun" and you can go from pistol to rifle and back.

If you start with an assembled rifle lower or full factory rifle then it's transferred as a "rifle" and you cannot legally take the stock off and turn it into a pistol. Are you likely to get locked up for doing so? Probably not, but by the letter of the law it's illegal.

Where this might get even murkier is if you buy from a private seller. If they started it out as a rifle and you plan to build a pistol that could be a problem, depending on how it was transferred but I think you could probably plead ignorance since you weren't the original purchaser.

The bottom line is, if you're even considering a pistol build, and you're doing a transfer and 4473 you should start with a stripped receiver or a complete pistol lower from the manufacturer. Then it will transferred as "other" or "handgun" and you can do what ever you want.

Some would argue that even building a rifle on a stripped lower that's transferred as "other" before building a pistol locks you into a rifle for good. I don't agree because there is no way the ATF would even know, but I digress.

Again, are you likely to get charged with going from a factory rifle to a pistol? Probably not, but it's good to understand the technicalities if only to highlight how ridiculous all of it is.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Again, are you likely to get charged with going from a factory rifle to a pistol? Probably not, but it's good to understand the technicalities if only to highlight how ridiculous all of it is.

Yep. The likelihood is small, but I dont want to be "that guy" saying "if I had only paid that extra $40-100 for that stripped lower I wouldnt be paying my lawyer tens of thousands to try to keep me outta jail"

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Something else you might consider...thinking outside the box...PSA now has its KS-47 Gen2 line of pistols and uppers available. Do a YouTube search on KS-47 pistol to see some great reviews. Plus if you've already got a supply of AK steel and Magpul mags, they work with these new KS-47s. It could be another 30-caliber option to a .300 Blackout. Only complaint I hear is no last round bolt hold open but if you're used to AK operation that's not a big deal. You can check out PSA's KS-47 pistol lineup at:
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/cat...+pistol&category=4113&caliber_multi=7.62x39mm

Top Bottom