AR Rookie: Build Them Myself or Pay Someone Else To?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you recommend I have these systems built?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Rifles are cheap right now and sitting on store shelves. I would buy as many as you want and go shooting.

I know for me I would never buy someone's home build or anything with paint or a refinish. Something to keep in mind if you sell and trade like I do. A factory rifle should bring better money should you need to dump it.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I see that you are from the Bloomington area. PM me the owner's name of the shop that is going to charge you $85 to assemble for you. I might be able to shed some light if it's worth or not.

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    I see that you are from the Bloomington area. PM me the owner's name of the shop that is going to charge you $85 to assemble for you. I might be able to shed some light if it's worth or not.

Since I'm a newbie I can't PM... sorry. The shop is on the west side of town at Bloomfield road by Karst Farm Park. Know the place?

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all of the continued input. It sounds like the consensus is that I can (or at least you would) build it. I'll go for it. Again, the whole reason for building wasn't to save money, but to understand the equipment, and make sure I'm getting quality parts that fit the purpose for which I'm acquiring each of them.

I'm still quite glad to hear more input--specifically which tools you recommend and where to get them.

77broncoman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    I say build them yourself. Another approach would be to build just 1 rifle at first, then send a couple hundred rounds down it for testing and troubleshooting. If all goes well, build the other 2 using skills learned from number 1.

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington
    I had this same debate. I ended up building my own, and definitely went through some frustrations, but came out the other side understanding the rifle much better and will be able to repair most major issues myself. So, if you have the TIME, I say go for it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for all of the continued input. It sounds like the consensus is that I can (or at least you would) build it. I'll go for it. Again, the whole reason for building wasn't to save money, but to understand the equipment, and make sure I'm getting quality parts that fit the purpose for which I'm acquiring each of them.

I'm still quite glad to hear more input--specifically which tools you recommend and where to get them.

Yep, sounds like Sarge's Supply. Careful word of caution, I've yet to hear any good things about that place.

Are we talking about Traildust?

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    There is no reason for you to buy an upper that isn't already barreled. Other than that you'll just need some punches and an armorers wrench, things you should have anyways. It's not an AK. This **** is easy.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Care to share any more about this?

Overall attitude of the place. I know multiple LEOs that won't even step foot in the place. Staff is not very knowledgeable on guns. I know of multiple people who had an upper "assembled" there and it didn't work properly. After confronting them about it, they were ultimately told to go pound sand.

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Overall attitude of the place. I know multiple LEOs that won't even step foot in the place. Staff is not very knowledgeable on guns. I know of multiple people who had an upper "assembled" there and it didn't work properly. After confronting them about it, they were ultimately told to go pound sand.
    Wow. Very helpful. And helps with my decision whether or not to pay them to assemble mine!

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    If you can put together a Legos toy for your kids, you can build an AR. The AR platform of rifles is considered the erector set of rifles, remove a few pins and it disassembles/reassembles pretty easily. There are about a bazillion (real number BTW) how to videos on this exact subject. You can now build a pretty good AR in a non-Hillary Whitehouse America quite reasonably. Eugene Stonner was a firearms genius, the AR is second only to the AK in numbers of modern day battle rifles produced. It is also THE most easy to disassemble and clean semi-auto rifle there is.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    They are easy enough to build. Seek guidance if you're uncomfortable with any part of the process, this helps your confidence level at the range for the first shot

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Just wanted to post back here after I finally got to work on my projects tonight. First lower took about an hour and a half. The second and third took less than that combined. Glad I did it myself... thanks for the encouragement.

It definitely feels intimidating at first--but, in the end, it's not rocket science. Looking forward to getting to the uppers tomorrow.

Top Bottom