• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I know and the older I get the horse sets higher. I guess I unload on the few that the many have ruined it for as far as I am concerned.
    I belong to over 15 conservation clubs and sportsman facilities here in the Midwest. Maybe the OP is pure as driven snow but I can show you a lot of steel crap on the ground and damage to our ranges with many of these. Also the nature of these questions reminds me of the three ruptured and fused Bolts I had to clear to safely get the shooter and his equipment off the range. Just trying to educate before someone gets hurt again or disrespects the range
    where I like to shoot.

So sorry some of us poor folks have ruined it for you. Seems like a man of your stature would have his own private range and not bother with the common folk. I don't belong to 15 facilities but the 2 that I go to don't have any cranky old farts worrying about steel casings. We just shoot and enjoy our time together. I guess we have it all wrong. :rolleyes:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    So sorry some of us poor folks have ruined it for you. Seems like a man of your stature would have his own private range and not bother with the common folk. I don't belong to 15 facilities but the 2 that I go to don't have any cranky old farts worrying about steel casings. We just shoot and enjoy our time together. I guess we have it all wrong. :rolleyes:

I do have my own private range as well. Not trying to get into a pxssing match with you but this is a forum and perhaps some education can be good. Being poor is no excuse to litter our grounds and play with substandard crap. American made products are cheaper in the long run as they work and are responsibly manufactured within safe guidelines. And, the I live in and support America, not Russia. I am not high in stature or financially wealthy but I do pursue the shooting sports and work hard to make my sport cost worthy and enjoyable for others. Cranky old fart? I can live with that. Beats not caring.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Not trying to get into a pxssing match with you but this is a forum and perhaps some education can be good.

Yet you did not educate but chose to attack the OP for asking a question. While you think of a smart reply tell us where you found a "American Made" digital device to post on this forum. :ingo:

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Well, leave it to INGO to present some info that is new but plausible.

Frank, do you have anything to back up what you're saying about powder and primers eroding barrels? Also, if steel case ammunition causes higher pressures shouldn't that result in higher bullet velocities? Steel case is usually lower velocity than high end brass ammo. Also, have you bought any steel case ammo lately? The Russians aren't even trying to fool anyone into thinking their bullets are copper jacketed/copper washed/spray painted by Ivan anymore. See the picture below.

You can do your own research just as I have. I've been shooting and reloading since the mid 70s and spent a lot of time with people and occupations where this info was common knowledge. I don't have chapter and verse listings for you.
    There are a lot of army and other ordnance reports out there as well as civilian information sheets concerning the different types of powders and the temperatures they burn. Most relate the burn temperature to the difference in erosion that is found.
    In addition there is a lot of simple physics that will tell you that copper is softer than steel and won't wear it down but high temperature erosive gas and debris will.

I never said steel cased ammo runs higher pressures. I said that different powders have different pressure curves so at the gas port your results will vary considerably between different powders. In some cases the steel cased ammo makers use slower burning powders which will give higher pressure at the gasport in an AR type rifle. In other cases they will use a faster burning powder which will result in lower pressure at an AR type rifle gasport. This variation in pressure is one of the main reasons for failures to function in the AR. It can also be found in a lot different brass cased ammo. A lot of surplus brass cased ammo was intended for use in guns with operating characteristics much different than the AR. British 5.56 doesn't always work in the AR and US 5.56 doesn't work well in the L85 for that reason.

American hobby shooters expect one size fits all performance from ammo and seem to have no idea why it can't be done.
    Those who load their own to get max performance have known for a long time. Load for the particular rifle and you can get much better results than just using generic load data from a book. Over the years you find that certain powders cause more throat erosion while others seem to keep your barrel tight and accurate for substantially higher round counts. extruded powders tend (note the tend not always) to have higher burn temps and ball powders tend to be lower. Ball powders meter easier and usually more consistently so ammo makers like them. Ball powders are cheaper to make and safer in the process. Extruded powders tend to be more consistent in their burn rates and most high accuracy ammo is loaded with extruded powders for that reason.

The info is out there if you're willing to look. Taking the headline and using it for gospel is never the best way so look into it yourself. This pretty much applies to everything in life as well.....we don't believe the media about politics, why should we believe marketing tests are any more accurate?

Frank

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Yet you did not educate but chose to attack the OP for asking a question. While you think of a smart reply tell us where you found a "American Made" digital device to post on this forum. :ingo:
    There can be no teaching without learning. A wise man once said we have the most dignity when we are born. What’s important is how much one has left. Good luck to you.

vuman23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Cumberland
    I do have my own private range as well. Not trying to get into a pxssing match with you but this is a forum and perhaps some education can be good. Being poor is no excuse to litter our grounds and play with substandard crap. American made products are cheaper in the long run as they work and are responsibly manufactured within safe guidelines. And, the I live in and support America, not Russia. I am not high in stature or financially wealthy but I do pursue the shooting sports and work hard to make my sport cost worthy and enjoyable for others. Cranky old fart? I can live with that. Beats not caring.

Thanks for your response, however i have my own range too and can litter it with whatever I'd like. you are not educating me because you presented no facts to support your claim. it was all opinion based. i know a lot of people who use steel and love it. i will not trust my life with steel casing but i will plink with it all day long.

Top Bottom