• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    So I was out shooting my AR in the nice weather today. It has never jammed but maybe once our twice, but today it seemed it was jamming every other round. This is the picture of the jam that happened maybe 10-15 times.
    Ar15jam.jpg

It wasn't a double feed for sure so I am not sure how that could be caused. The bolt closing on a round that is feeding after the previous round was ejected. I was using my 16" Mid-length AR15 with a Spikes "H" Buffer, Magpul PMAGs, and I was using 62g Wolf FMJ. Sometimes it wouldn't even load a round into the chamber. Any suggestions?

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    I know this probably has nothing to do with it but i have a couple AR's that don't run worth a damn on hotter days using steel cased ammo.Won't feed won't eject.I'd suggest trying it out with different ammo.Might even consider using a different buffer as well.

Dtruck260

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Roanoke, Indiana
    Wolf .223. Not many ARs work well with Wolf, especially the poly coated.

I have 10 AR-15's

and 1 AR10

DPMS,Oly,RR,Delaware Machine, Lauer, and a few I am forgetting about, In addition to an ACR and FS2000,

All feed wolf poly just fine, and I shoot all year, when I have feeding issues, its usually related to mags/cleaning in that order, by the pics, I'd say cleaning is the issue.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have 10 AR-15's

and 1 AR10

DPMS,Oly,RR,Delaware Machine, Lauer, and a few I am forgetting about, In addition to an ACR and FS2000,

All feed wolf poly just fine, and I shoot all year, when I have feeding issues, its usually related to mags/cleaning in that order, by the pics, I'd say cleaning is the issue.

Yes most time an AR-15 jams it dirty & needs cleaning:yesway:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Poly on the wolf is heating up and thats causing it to stick. One of mine did the same thing before I switched to pure brass. Switch to a non-polly coated ammo and the problem will go away.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    looks to me as the bolt isn't pickin' the rd out of the mag.....are the mags gettin' seated up tight?......btw if it won't feed poly it has a problem......mine eats anything i stuff in it....

Dtruck260

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Roanoke, Indiana
    Poly on the wolf is heating up and thats causing it to stick. One of mine did the same thing before I switched to pure brass. Switch to a non-polly coated ammo and the problem will go away.

Take a poly coated piece of shot steel and hit it with a blow torch, I have yet to see it melt.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    The thing about steel ammo is the case does not swell as much as brass does under firing pressure so it does not seal the chamber as well as brass. This is not usually a problem with Russian calibers because the cases are tapered a little more and seal in the chamber differently. Not sealing well lets more gunk blow past the case into the area where the bolt locks up. Eventually if you don't clean it and run a precision rifle (like an AR15) it can make things grind to a halt. Wolf seems to burn a little dirtier than other ammo too which does not help.

I think the bottom line is clean more often when using steel cased ammo in a non-Russian caliber or shoot it out of something looser like an AK.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Did it happen with a variety of mags? Did it matter if the round that jammed was near the top or the bottom of the magazine?

My first guess would be a magazine issue if it is always from one or two magazines. If it happens with all of your mags, and happens more frequently the longer you shoot, I'd say it's a cleaning issue.

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I completely cleaned the rifle. I dissembled the BCG and properly cleaned it. Then sprayed with BreakFree CLP. Using a H2 Buffer, firing 55gr Lake City, the rifled functioned properly. Using a H2 Buffer, firing 62gr Wolf, the rifle wouldnt eject the shell. Then I changed to a Standard Buffer, same result. I also added a extractor spring "O" ring. That didnt work either. So what do I do now? I have fire around 400-500 62gr Wolf rounds, flawlessly until this point.

Top Bottom