Are lasers worth messing with on pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I got one for my little Sig and enjoy shooting with it. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and with my bifocals the sights are just dang hard to use sometime.

Some of the discussion here seems counterintuitive, I would assume that it's much easier to acquire a target under stress with a laser than without. But I could be wrong.

I'm not going to equip all my gun with laser sights, but in this one case, it seems to work fine.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Some of the discussion here seems counterintuitive, I would assume that it's much easier to acquire a target under stress with a laser than without. But I could be wrong.

I think much of the discussion is missing are they worth messing with on pistols, and are they any good without training; I see it on the topic of weapon mounted lights as well, folks skip the question and jump to the preconceived notions.

The end result the tool gets blamed for the misuse of the tool rather that the person, improper or inadequate training. Good thing they aren't doing it with the firearms or the same logic would have all our guns banned because even trained police statistically miss 70% of shots fired in a gunfight.

Then take a look at the posts of people who have them, use them as a supplement, train with them and without them and train regularly, and I see lots of "worth every penny" statements, but hey everyone has an opinion.

:twocents:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Lasers aren't a good replacement for iron sights, but I think they can provide good service in a variety of circumstances. If you can afford it and you are willing to learn how to make use of it properly, it's certainly not going to hurt anything and can really help.

Here are some situations where a laser can be very helpful:
    • For people who have vision problems and can't effectively use iron sights any more. This happens to a lot of people as they age.
    • When you're forced to shoot from a position where it's difficult or impossible to bring the gun between your eyes and the target so you can see the iron sights.
    • Shooting on the move, especially when you're moving very quickly
    Lasers are most useful in low light conditions and when the reflection you see contrasts with the color of the target you're trying to hit. The downside is that too many people actually believe you can't miss if the laser is indicating that the gun is pointed at the target. Nothing will substitute for good trigger control, and you need good trigger control regardless of the sighting system(s) you choose to use, or even if you use some type of unsighted fire.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't own a laser for any of my guns. But I have shot a few different snub nose revolvers equipped with Crimson Trace grips. Overall I liked the laser. I could see how they can be a supplement to your regular sights and might help with those bump in the night type encounters. I wear glasses and won't be able to see my sights anyway. Interestingly enough I don't really remember seeing or concentrating on the laser dot but it was there.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have an Armalaser on my Keltec P3AT. I think it's a great device, and it allowed me to shoot a running raccoon at about 11:00 PM on a rather dark night. No chance that would have happened without the laser.

When I practice in daylight, it's turned off, so I'm not used to looking for it in daylight. It is turned on for most of my night practice (which I need to do again while the weather is nice like this... it's been a few months).

But if you've ever looked down the sights of one of the little Keltecs, you can understand that they're not usable in low light situations.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Not one person has commented on the psychological effect a laser has on an intruder or assailant. LaserMax specifically addresses this effect and the added effect that a flashing laser has. I don't think this contention is without merit. On top of that, my potential scenario is poor eyesight requiring glasses and the distinct possibility of having to rise from a dead sleep, put a brilliant dot on a target and go boom???? No question, a defensive handgun with a laser has no negatives attached to it. IMHO, which is usually right. End of story, no more discussion needed.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not one person has commented on the psychological effect a laser has on an intruder or assailant. LaserMax specifically addresses this effect and the added effect that a flashing laser has. I don't think this contention is without merit.

I remember a discussion about this topic sometime back. I think the concensus of the group was that merely shining a laser at or on an assailant would not be that much of a deterent. It might not hurt but probably not enough to stop them from proceeding with the bad deed. Showing somebody the business end of a gun tends to communicate your intention in and of itself.

I do agree with your comments about eye sight. I am far sighted (bad) with and astigmatism (also bad). Without my glasses I can't see the sights on a pistol but I could see that laser. So, a set of Crimson Trace grips would make sense but is not something I am willing to spend $200-$300 on. I also agree that as long as a person first learns to shoot without a laser then it can be an additional tool to be added later.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    In many cases, a handgun shooter will not aim with the sights in a self-defense situation. They point at mass and shoot. In low light or darkness, a good laser, especially if there's some distance involved, might make the difference.

It also demonstrates how much a person moves or shakes during target practice. In a tactical situation, it could give away your position but that is not a big factor in my opinion. Also keep in mind that you have to activate the laser by some means which adds to the complexity of it all. When your heart is beating in your throat, it's hard to think.

Night Sights might be worth looking into but a good laser will light up a dark figure in a dark room. I fell into the laser thing almost by accident and have come to like it but only as an "as needed" tool. Everything has it's place.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I have been thinking about lasers on self defense pistols for a while and it does not seem like they would be very much help.

To be very clear, I have not ever shot a firearm that has a laser on it.

How do lasers help? Can you acquire your target quicker than with irons/dots?

I can't shake the thought that while I could be looking for the dot on my target, I should just put the front blade on him and shoot him.

I'm not saying this to beat down anyone who has/uses a laser, I just want to know what works.

For this thread, I would like to exclude the possible utility of a laser as a deterrent. I keep a round chambered in my house shotgun and I do not intend to "rack a round" to let the guy breaking in know I mean business. By the same token, I do not intend to put a dot on a guy to let him know I am serious. Its a personal choice, but if I'm pulling a gun, its because I need to shoot.

So, are lasers worth messing with on pistols?

Not one person has commented on the psychological effect a laser has on an intruder or assailant. LaserMax specifically addresses this effect and the added effect that a flashing laser has. I don't think this contention is without merit. On top of that, my potential scenario is poor eyesight requiring glasses and the distinct possibility of having to rise from a dead sleep, put a brilliant dot on a target and go boom???? No question, a defensive handgun with a laser has no negatives attached to it. IMHO, which is usually right. End of story, no more discussion needed.

Highlighted that part of the OP for you, it's by request.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I remember a discussion about this topic sometime back. I think the concensus of the group was that merely shining a laser at or on an assailant would not be that much of a deterent. It might not hurt but probably not enough to stop them from proceeding with the bad deed. Showing somebody the business end of a gun tends to communicate your intention in and of itself.

I do agree with your comments about eye sight. I am far sighted (bad) with and astigmatism (also bad). Without my glasses I can't see the sights on a pistol but I could see that laser. So, a set of Crimson Trace grips would make sense but is not something I am willing to spend $200-$300 on. I also agree that as long as a person first learns to shoot without a laser then it can be an additional tool to be added later.

I'm not talking about it being a deterrent or stopping anything, I'm talking about it eliciting a two second "** ****"! thought. :nailbite:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm not talking about it being a deterrent or stopping anything, I'm talking about it eliciting a two second "** ****"! thought. :nailbite:

:dunno: Maybe. I am not an expert on criminal behavior or psychology. I would think that 200 lumens of bright white light out of a SureFire would also invoke the ** **** response.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    It is another tool. As long as it doesn't replace practice and training.

I like the idea of a light/laser combination on a HD gun. I would never tell anyone to NOT use it. Just be sure to know how to use it.

Lasers, also, make great training aids for assessing you trigger pull. You can watch where the laser move during the trigger pull and shot break to make sure you are smooth.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    I suppose that depends on the usage. At night or on a home defense gun, perhaps. Otherwise it adds complication that you will more than likely not use should you need it. I like the grip activated models. That being said I have a Viridian on my XDM and like it. The issue of batteries adds to complication but that can be avoided if you test them and replace regularly.

I think it would be a preference issue, and should only be used after you have the sights mastered.

:twocents:

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    :dunno: Maybe. I am not an expert on criminal behavior or psychology. I would think that 200 lumens of bright white light out of a SureFire would also invoke the ** **** response.

There used to be a guy that worked at my factory, and was probably the strongest, quickest, most insane dude you've ever met. He was an ex-con, and a former gang member. Did I mention he was insane? I always think to myself "What would deter that guy?" The only thing I can think of is if he was incapacitated or dead. I seriously don't even think a gun being pointed at him would have made him second guess himself for a moment. That being said, I don't think a laser would be an effective deterrent for people who are that violent.

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I requested the free promotional dvd from Crimson Trace. It worked....because I ordered one the next day after watching the video. haha. The part that sold me was that you don't need to be looking down your sights to see where your bullet will go. They showed a scenerio where an attacker pulled a victim down from behind and threw him to the ground where he landed on his back facing the attacker. When the victim pulled his weapon he drew to do a hip fire. By doing this he was able to keep his weapon close to him while still seeing where his bullet will go. Imagine trying to do that and extending your arms out, then get your sights lined up and take the shot. A valuable 1-2 seconds were saved by having the laser and taking a shot from the hip.
    Althought they are a little pricey, I think the Crimson Trace laser grips are the best because they are pressure activated by squeezing the grip which is what you do when you naturally grab your gun. This way you don't have to worry about turning on a switch with your fingertips, which you might bobble a little bit in a stressful situation. Just my :twocents:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Lasers

Lasers aren't mean to be a deterrent anywhere but in the movies. They're a sighting device, that's all, and I think they have their place. They may not be for everyone but if a laser helps a person get the first shot on target, it is absolutely priceless. If you don't like 'em, uh..... don't get one.

I see the value to be with smaller handguns with a very short sight radius. In that light (pun intended) the only laser we have is a side mounted LaserLyte on a LCP. It's great. Most importantly, the person who carries that particular gun likes it and is comfortable with it. No other opinion matters.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I would also like to chime in that (for all those that say to just learn to use your sights) there are a significant number or J-Frames out there (and similar weapons) with sights that are nearly impossible to see in low-light situations. I know I can point shoot center mass in dim to no light at 4-6yds, but the laser gives me the ability to extend that practical range or to achieve aimed fire in a low-light situation. One of the biggest reasons I have thought about a LCR is the fact that Ruger seems to be the only one willing to put a night-sight on a compact revolver (unless I am missing something.)

If you do not like lasers, just do not use one. But for me, I see a place for them on guns w/o the availability of night sights.

Top Bottom