Are lasers worth messing with on pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    TBE,

Bought a s&w bodyguard revolver and it has a laser. If you want to play with it, let's make a time to do that. Best way to know if you like something is to try it and all.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    TBE,

Bought a s&w bodyguard revolver and it has a laser. If you want to play with it, let's make a time to do that. Best way to know if you like something is to try it and all.

Thanks man,

I came within an inch of buying one of those with laser at MC Sports last week. As a matter of fact, I'm scared to go back in there because I'll have to buy one if I do.

How do you like shooting it?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Dunno, haven't shot it yet. Traded in two and walked home with one.

So, yeah, you should fear Mr. Stipp.

Femme Assise

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    I'm not a avid advocate of laser sights, although I would agree that they do aid in certain situations. to me, it's just extra bulk that could otherwise be eliminated. I have a laser sight on my AR15 which I prefer in low light situations; however, I do not think they are altogether necessary or helpful on pistols. Proper training and confidence behind the trigger is what will count in a panic situation, not a laser sight.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Was reading a book on concealed carry last night and the author was very positive on the addition of lasers on carry guns. His position is they cause no negatives so why not have the option. He especially favored them on snub revolvers which have poor sights anyway. Though he warned that lasers compliment traditional sights and do not replace them. I can not disagree with any of that and would actually like a set of Crimson Trace for my j frame. Only problem I see is adding $300 grips to a $400 gun. Also the added weight and size of the grip.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Means very little, but:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIFBtp-eeXs&feature=plcp&context=C3b6db0bUDOEgsToPDskJ9rG7-sp6fO0RbT_kjk8KU[/ame]

I am typically only a two-handed weaver stance when I shoot, may not be the best but that's how I shoot. This time I never once aimed down the sights, used one hand only and the laser sight. Follow up shots were magnificent. I do think on a low recoil gun such as the PM9 fired in the vid it makes the laser sight quite a good asset. However, if you're firing a snappy little gun (PM40 maybe? or so I've HEARD) that wouldn't give a good quick follow up, you may have wasted your money.

I'm to be picking up my new Sig Sauer 1911 C3 Crimson Trace today - I'll take a video of it as well and upload; at least hopefully it can be somewhat beneficial. Good luck with your decision(s)!

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I have a Crimson Trace laser on my Colt 1911 Defender. I don't need a laser to hit the target. Even at my advanced age I'm still a pretty good shot.
    I do however consider the laser as a great deterent if time permits. Who's going to get froggy with that red dot in his chest???
    Like everything else it's not the end all but it is an interesting tool
    By the way don't bother telling me the first indication the bad guy s hould have is the sound of my safety clicking off I know.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have a Crimson Trace laser on my Colt 1911 Defender. I don't need a laser to hit the target. Even at my advanced age I'm still a pretty good shot.
    I do however consider the laser as a great deterent if time permits. Who's going to get froggy with that red dot in his chest???
    Like everything else it's not the end all but it is an interesting tool
    By the way don't bother telling me the first indication the bad guy s hould have is the sound of my safety clicking off I know.

The first indication the bad guy s hould have is the sound of my safety clicking off.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    How do I rep this ? ? ? It's the best post I've ever seen on training!

Giving yourself "muscle-memory" could well be a life-saver. It's not the same as "instinctive" shooting, or the very liability-causing "natural-point-of-aim." That red dot, when seen in a very stressful moment, can be a mind-easer. Well taught!
    I have a laser guide rod on my wife's Glock that I wouldn't trade for anything. I know with certainty that in the lowest light conditions she can put a dot on her target and hit it every time even at the longest open distange in our house (60').
    It doesn't hinder your training for putting the sights on target in my opinion. Your muscle memory will bring you into the general range, at which point you'll see the target, and laser in your field of view, and can easily bring the two together.
    Plus it gives you the benefit of firing longer ranges from retention with accuracy, and from positions other than the standard target stance that you may not have trained for, but need to shoot from in a pinch. Just my .02

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    I have a lazerlite rear sight combo on my g23. Dont always use it, but does the job when its on, doesnt take much to push the botton when pulling it out of the holster.

Top Bottom