Are the benefits of an NFA trust worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    It all boils down to- have a trust if you expect others to use without you present - no trust needed if you don't let them out of your sight or your own safe. They transfer free to your heir after death with or without a trust.

No one has been prosecuted or charged for letting someone not on the trust use the nfa item while in the presence of the stamp holder.

Before the recent revision a trust saved a lot of time and hassle, not so much anymore.

I filled a form 4 today for another suppressor and talked to the ffl for a while about both. He is seeing form 4 individuals clear in 4 to 5 months and trusts are upwards of a year.

Personal choice, but the only benefit it's for people who want to share nfa unsupervised. It's not a loan if you never leave it alone with someone else.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    It all boils down to- have a trust if you expect others to use without you present - no trust needed if you don't let them out of your sight or your own safe. They transfer free to your heir after death with or without a trust.

No one has been prosecuted or charged for letting someone not on the trust use the nfa item while in the presence of the stamp holder.

Before the recent revision a trust saved a lot of time and hassle, not so much anymore.

I filled a form 4 today for another suppressor and talked to the ffl for a while about both. He is seeing form 4 individuals clear in 4 to 5 months and trusts are upwards of a year.

Personal choice, but the only benefit it's for people who want to share nfa unsupervised. It's not a loan if you never leave it alone with someone else.

This is where the problem is, it's just subject to different interpretation as I posted earlier on it's definition. I just prefer not to be the test subject on this.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This is where the problem is, it's just subject to different interpretation as I posted earlier on it's definition. I just prefer not to be the test subject on this.

It's never been interpreted as no one else can shoot your nfa item is a crime, only letting it leave the stamp holders supervision has lead to a charge. You don't get a loan from a bank that is not allowed to be withdrawn. There is a ton of precedence for letting others use an nfa item while in the presence of the responsible person. Ranges rentals, mg shoots, kids using their parents suppressors, the list never ends. I've even handled and shot an SBR AR15 that a cop owned on a stamp. It's ok to worry but the people selling this idea are the people who didn't want to see their trust revenue fall.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The only difference before 41F and now is that if you purchase a new NFA item, you need prints. If you don't purchase new items, you can add/remove anyone from the trust w/o the need for prints.

Or am I speaking out of my ass again?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The only difference before 41F and now is that if you purchase a new NFA item, you need prints. If you don't purchase new items, you can add/remove anyone from the trust w/o the need for prints.

Or am I speaking out of my ass again?

Trusts used to be a work around for cleo signoff as well. That was a major driver for trusts. Now individual and trust applications only send notifications. Individuals used to have to get a signature.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom