• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    While we're on the subject, I have a question. Does anyone know an area where a guy could go looking for an Eastern Milk Snake?

I caught one on the place I lived in Eastern Delaware County many years ago, when my kids were young. That snake quickly became their favorite pet, but he ended up escaping. I know I was very lucky to find one in my area, and I've done a lot of searching and I've never found another.

I've heard that they are common further south, but I wouldn't know where to look.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Saw a dead rat snake in the road over the weekend.

Why do people kill snakes? I'd rather have the snakes around then the rodents they eat.

If it was in Perry County brother that was me...It was an accident. I thought it was a stick. I was only going 30 mph. IT WASN"T MY FAULT!!!!!

[video=youtube;JFvujknrBuE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFvujknrBuE[/video]

I felt bad all week...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    One place I fish has an abundance of snakes that won't move until your less than an inch from them... Ever seen a fat guy go from drive to full throttle reverse in an instant? Well I've felt it and I assume it's hilarious! I'm not exactly afraid of snakes, but I have no desire to play with things that are lightning fast and can bite. If they leave me alone, I leave them alone.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    but I have no desire to play with things that are lightning fast and can bite.

Yes they are lightning fast but I've always heard that they generally can't strike you at a greater distance than their length. The one above was sunning himself on a gravel road. I stopped to make sure I wouldn't run him over. Water snakes have a tendency to flatten themselves out which it did so I wanted to be sure he wasn't squooshed. I kept the above in mind when I gently tapped him with a stick and of course he lunged at me to no effect since I stayed far enough away. They say water snakes are tempermental (and it was) and will bite repeatedly although they are not poisonous. After that he worked his way back to the marsh. I'm not in love with snakes but I don't wish to harm them either. Here's a 12' albino python that was gentle as a lamb.

Last edited:

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    Saw a dead rat snake in the road over the weekend.

Why do people kill snakes? I'd rather have the snakes around then the rodents they eat.

+1^ I don't understand everyone's fear of snakes either. They eat rats and mice and their bites don't really hurt much at all unless they're really big. I've been hurt worse by fish.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    We were cleaning the leaves and other things away from the back along the house when we swept the dead leaves away there was a little snake and I do mean little. It was so little that he ended up in the crack between the house and the concrete patio slab. I hate snakes. I do not care if they exist I just do not want them around the house at all. As far as rodents I will set traps for them instead of depending on a snake to eat them.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm a live and let live kinda guy with most snakes. Was on the tractor last w/e pushing out some autumn olive trees and had a 5' rat snake crawl out from under the hood down over my clutch foot. He's welcome to live there or the wood pile if he'll keep the mice and chipmunks down. Saw one last year that was every bit of 6' next to the house.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I never did understand people's fear of all snakes. Know which ones are poisonous and you will be fine. I spent my childhood looking for reptiles in the woods. Beautiful creatures. Completely unnecessary to kill them.

While we're on the subject, I have a question. Does anyone know an area where a guy could go looking for an Eastern Milk Snake?

I caught one on the place I lived in Eastern Delaware County many years ago, when my kids were young. That snake quickly became their favorite pet, but he ended up escaping. I know I was very lucky to find one in my area, and I've done a lot of searching and I've never found another.

I've heard that they are common further south, but I wouldn't know where to look.

Southern Indiana has a bunch of them. Powerline cuts, under rocks, boards, logs, etc... warm spots obviously. If you have some metal roofing or shingles take some with you and place it in sunny spots, come back a few weeks later and check. Keep checking until you find what youre looking for.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Scary things are out everywhere!

I actually don't mind them. They are all over around my place and they remove other pests.

Top Bottom