• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I encountered what appeared to be about a 5 foot rat snake (longer than any I had seen previously) in a Dayton Oh Metro parking over Easter weekend.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    How would you like to run into this 9 1/2 foot beast from Georgia?

Eastern diamondback rattlers average about 5.5 feet in length, and the very largest specimens of the species ***might*** approach 8 feet. The apparent size of this rattler has been exaggerated in the photographs due to forced perspective (i.e., the snake is much closer to the camera lens than other objects in the frame)

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Should have known better than to buy internet BS. Still, I wouldn't want that thing in my sleeping bag.

Here's an update on the picture that I ran across. Don't know if it's true or not.

"In any case, it looks like the real story has finally surfaced: the snake is from Levy County, Florida and is claimed as 6'9" and 15 lbs."

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Eastern diamondback rattlers average about 5.5 feet in length, and the very largest specimens of the species ***might*** approach 8 feet. The apparent size of this rattler has been exaggerated in the photographs due to forced perspective (i.e., the snake is much closer to the camera lens than other objects in the frame)

Any fool can handle a dead one. Nothing gets your heart rate going like holding a live rattler in your hands. I caught two (not quite that big) one day on the high plains of Texas and brought them back to our field office in my day pack. Getting the first one in was easy, but getting the second one in without letting the first one out was tricky. We kept them in a big trash can for the rest of the crew to see, then let them go.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    My garter snake is still lingering around. He is either right up against the back of the house ( hanging around the ladder which is laying down against the house) or in front of the house. I was watering plants today in the back and he got upset and moved. Now I have no idea where he is.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Was on my father's property on the Indiana/Kentucky border. If they aren't "supposed" to be in Indiana, I'll have to remind it next time I see one.

Maybe it laid some anchor eggs after it got here, and now it's waiting for amnesty and a path to citizenship?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    One of my corns with her eggs from some years ago:

CornampEggs5.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Still have that snake, she is going on 16 years old.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom