• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    I know I will get plenty of crap for this thread, but I have to bring it up. Glock reviews are very biased!

Yep, this is where I get all kinds of crap from Glock owners, but hear me out. This is a legitimate complain from someone who desperately wants a realistic, objective review of the products so that I can make a decision on whether or not to buy one.

Now, this mostly pertains to YouTube reviews, not at all to INGO reviews (I haven't looked at any yet), but a lot of Glock reviews fail to mention the negatives of the firearm. Maybe there aren't many, but there are some and the minority of firearms enthusiasts who don't own one yet would like to know what they are.

For example, the new Glock 42: sorry guys but is a sub-compact, or maybe even a sub-sub-sub compact. Either way, it is not a pocket .380. At 14oz, it is very heavy for that class (polymer framed anyway) and it is much to long. So don't compare it to the ruger lcp, when it is a ruger LC 380 at best.

Rose colored glasses are fine until you start misinforming people.

P.S. Don't mean to offend, just a cry for help.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Rose colored glasses while sipping on the Kool-Aid, you mean. I agree to an extent - lots of YouTubers seem to bow down at Gaston's altar. Lots of them seem to have little other firearms experience to draw from. But boy, they know you can swap out lots of parts on that ol' Glock!

Those who are a bit more realistic, and experienced, seem to offer a broader world view when it comes to firearms.

A few, like Hickok45, even acknowledge their bias - but also will be the first to praise something on its own merits. Case in point, his FNS review. And his 42 review was almost apologetic over Glock's choice to chamber it in 380, if you really listen between the lines, so to speak.

I like to think I have a pretty good filter (not rose-colored, I prefer chartreuse :) )on when I watch these folks - and it only takes a few seconds worth of viewing in most cases to weed out the less-than-useful ones.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You will NEVER get an objective review for the simple fact that people are different, have different physical traits (hand size, arm length, etc), have different needs and different missions.

The ONLY way to find what works best for YOU is to try different ones. Complaining that other people aren't giving you objective reviews is pointless because of that.

Further, many of us try out lots of different guns over time to find what we like best, and what we like and want may change over time.

BUT, the basic truth is that if the only gun you could ever own was a rusty old Jennings and you were motivated then you could become proficient with it and you'd learn its idiosyncrasies to use it the best you can. Luckily we have a plethora of choices.

ASD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Southside
    I wouldn't say glocks are amazing and the best gun out there but mine goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. I would say it's a great gun for the price range it's in but if I had more $$ there are other options I would look at

micheljns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I think Glocks are good because they go bang every time. I have several handguns Sigs, Beretta, M&P, kimber, etc. I have had good luck with all but when I have done more than just plinking I have found that Glocks (Glock 19 gen 3) M&P (Full size 9mm) and Sigs (P220 elite) have worked best for me. For example I take 1-2 handgun classes per year and run about 500 - 750 rounds through the gun during training without cleaning and using different ammo. I will tell you the Glock, M&P and Sig are the only ones I have had survive without any malfunctions during training. I will agree with you that you can debate about things such as sights and other features about the Glock but it my opinion when it comes down to reliability Glock is a trustworthy choice.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    I think that they are that good. I'm by no means a Glock "fanboy". but I do own two. A Gen4 17 and a Gen3 27. I also own other various hand guns. S&W MP9 Pro, S&W 629, Kahr K9, ect. My pocket carry is a Sig P938. I buy and shoot what I like. Most complaints you here about Glocks are purely cosmetic..."ugly, looks like a brick, not sexy as a 1911, ect.". The legitimate complaint, in my eyes is how it fits an individual's hand. I get that. It just happens to fit me fine, thus the reason for me to own two. For me, the reliability, cost, accuracy, the availability of parts to customize and accessories, make it an easy choice.

As for the Glock 42, you're right. It is just about the same size as my P938, which I pocket carry in a Galco pocket rig. I won't sacrifice the stopping power of a 9mm for a .380 just because it says "Glock" on the slide. Now, if they would have brought the 42 out as a 9, I might have a different opinion.....

Last edited:

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I pay no attention to someone on youtube who does a review about this or that firearm , if it strikes my interest I will pursue that interest and form my own opinion . If I like it I will keep it regardless as to who likes or dislikes it . If I feel otherwise about that weapon I will sell it , cause everyone is different and we all have different opinions .

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    I don't think anything negative can be said other than personal preference stuff. I've carried my g19 every day sinse buying it in 2006 and nothing I have shot even comes a close second. It was the only uninformed handgun purchase I've made because it was my first and I really didn't know much of anything when I walked into the local GS. Glock was just another brand I had hears of and that was all I new. It seemed a good carry size and I was told it would fire every time I pulled the trigger and would not have any trouble with it. All true but what they didn't mention is the fact that it feels (to me) like a cadilac compared to my other handguns when firing it. It may not be as comfortable in the hand but when you pull the bang switch is when you feel the difference. This is only my opinion of coarse. Like everyone says, it's a preference thing to a lot of people.

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't say glocks are amazing and the best gun out there but mine goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. I would say it's a great gun for the price range it's in but if I had more $$ there are other options I would look at

I have to agree with that statement. There are a few other sidearms I would rather have. It seems like whatever Glock did right is working seeing that other companies are worried about making a firearm that works as well as the Glock.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I got my first of "several" Glocks back in the mid 90's, have carried them regularly, been in a couple of armed confrontations with them, shot the crap out of them, and am still waiting for my first failure of any kind. I don't see myself as a Glock fanboi, but they have never, ever, not even once let me down in any regard. There's not a lot in this world I can say that about, you know?

Although I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, my next handgun purchase will be a G41. There's one currently listed in the INGO classifieds for $700, but I'm not in that big a hurry. :rolleyes:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Yep, Glocks are that good!!! I have owned several different makes of guns with mixed results. I have been shooting Glocks for 25 years and have NEVER had a failure with any of them. I carry one everyday and trust my life and my families safety to my Glock. This may be similar to a Ford, Chevy or Dodge issue, but for me Glocks have earned my trust through pure reliability and consistency.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is a legitimate complain from someone who desperately wants a realistic, objective review of the products so that I can make a decision on whether or not to buy one.

As to guns, the subjective is objective.

Think about everything else in your life--computers, cars, cell phones, beer, food, women, inter alia--do you have an opinion, maybe even strong opinion, as to something?

Yeah, it is that way with guns too!:D

Go shoot a bunch of different guns. The "love of your life" will be different than mine, but I'm an idiot, especially about the things you like and I do not.

Be a student of weapons, not one particular weapon. Specialization is for insects

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Glocks are simple, reliable, guns and I love them. I'm biased because I HAVE to be. They are our issued sidearms and my exclusive shooter for the last 15 years. They take a beating and keep on ticking. For LE work they are perfect. They do not require much maintainence and are simple to operate. There are other great guns...
    I am really fond of Sigs and the M&P line among others but as an instructor, I focus on Glocks. The 42 Is perfect for us. It is a small back up/off duty for those who want something smaller than the 27. Same controls, sight picture, and trigger.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Please don't take me as someone who sits around on the internet and never actually shoots, or even seldom shoots. Although, I do find it funny that I was told to get off the internet by someone on an INTERNET forum. :D I have shot many types if firearms, and handguns more than anything else, EVEN GLOCKS! I personally love the Glock 35.

I do not at all argue with the idea that Glocks are the best. The most carried handgun in the world is kind of hard to argue with. Along with the fact that Glock is by far the leading authority on polymer handguns being the ones who really introduced them and being a company who really focuses on just that.

So please don't think of me as being a Glock hater. I'm not. I thought I was until I picked one up and shot it (gen3 35). And I encourage other people to do the same.
    But up hear in Warsaw, we have limited access to indoor ranges, and so I enjoy spending some of my time furthering my firearms education through reading, and online reviews. All I am saying is that people should call it a donkey where its a donkey, and a stallion where it's a stallion

Last edited:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've had several different Glocks and found all of them accurate,reliable and easy to work on. I also like the fact that there's so many accessories for them. Mags and parts are pretty easy to find as well. I just don't care for the width of the grip for iwb carry and hate those damn finger nubs.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I cant knock a Glock for what it is. Ive always kinda looked at them as the Chevy truck of the gun world. Pretty rugged, get the job done, but maybe not as comfortable or pretty as some other options that are out there.

Some guys are happy as can be driving around in a pickup truck, others like to cruise in the Corvette.

Top Bottom