• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    The 1911 trigger is just my favorite. It can be easily tuned to fit the individual. I mean easily. I spend roughly an hour doing sear hammer fit to any 1911 I buy. I do it just for grins and giggles. This alone drops the effort required to make it go "Boom" and sweetens the action significantly. Many are OK out of the box I just enjoy fiddling.

I can't disagree with this at all. I also love to tinker... I do my own brakes, oil changes, etc., turning a wrench is great therapy! That's something else I dig about Glocks... being still somewhat new to firearms, I have just enough rope to tinker, but not enough to really FUBAR anything.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I've owned several, I tried, I really tried to understand them.

But they just don't shoot right for me, nor do they fit my smallish hands very well.

They've got big fat grips at the wrong grip angle.

My natural point leaves the barrel aimed at the sky. When I take time to align sights and shoot, I'm a very good shot with a Glock. And the pistol is very reliable and precise. I've never a stop with a Glock.

They're just not for me. I'm a revolver guy at the core. I do shoot 1911's fairly well. My PPS is the only semiauto pistol I've trained adequately with and shoot it very well. But besides wheelguns, the 1911 and XDS (which IIRC is modeled with similar ergos is the only other gun I've picked up and been able to point n shoot.

Nothing wrong with Glocks, they ARE really good guns. They're very reliable, shoot all weights and powers of ammunitiion, regardless of bullet shape/weight/seating depth. They've got great capacity for size, they've got a multitude of aftermarket toys.

Glocks really are great guns.

They're just not great for me.

If I were willing to depart with my wheelguns, I'd consider retraining with the Glock manual of arms due to their reliability, precision, and availability of parts/smiths.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I don't get why so many people say the glock is ugly. I thing it's a good looking gun myself. I thought the first generation xd was a ugly gun with god awful step on the side of the slide. And that chamber indicator on top.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I've owned several, I tried, I really tried to understand them.

But they just don't shoot right for me, nor do they fit my smallish hands very well.

They've got big fat grips at the wrong grip angle.

My natural point leaves the barrel aimed at the sky. When I take time to align sights and shoot, I'm a very good shot with a Glock. And the pistol is very reliable and precise. I've never a stop with a Glock.

They're just not for me. I'm a revolver guy at the core. I do shoot 1911's fairly well. My PPS is the only semiauto pistol I've trained adequately with and shoot it very well. But besides wheelguns, the 1911 and XDS (which IIRC is modeled with similar ergos is the only other gun I've picked up and been able to point n shoot.

Nothing wrong with Glocks, they ARE really good guns. They're very reliable, shoot all weights and powers of ammunitiion, regardless of bullet shape/weight/seating depth. They've got great capacity for size, they've got a multitude of aftermarket toys.

Glocks really are great guns.

They're just not great for me.

If I were willing to depart with my wheelguns, I'd consider retraining with the Glock manual of arms due to their reliability, precision, and availability of parts/smiths.

Well said!!, Thats why they make so many different guns.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't get why so many people say the glock is ugly. I thing it's a good looking gun myself. I thought the first generation xd was a ugly gun with god awful step on the side of the slide. And that chamber indicator on top.

It is all personal perception.
    I have a good friend that loves Ramblers. The little boxy ones. He has a sedan and a convertible. Ugly cars in my eyes. In his they are absolutely the end all.
    Same with guns. You see the Glock as a nice looking piece. I see it as boxy and utilitarian. I see most plastic guns through the same eyeballs.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's not that Glock's are that good, just that they tend to be consistent. They are far from perfect and do produce lemons just like any other gun company so even a Glock needs to be tested before trusted. People just like what they like. Some are zealots and others just use them without fanfare. I own and sometimes carry Glocks, but prefer and have moved back to 1911s. The worst out of box experience I've had with a new gun was a Glock 19. It was far worse for the first 150 rounds than any 1911 (yes, even the RIA I own), Bersa, CZ, Witness or anything else I've had. If I would have trusted it without shooting it and then needed to use it, I'd probably be dead right now.

Fanboys of any type should be exposed for the narrow minded dolts they are. The decision on what you will base your family's protection on should be carefully considered, not made because of the number of nimrods that answer handgun choice questions with one word.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's not that Glock's are that good, just that they tend to be consistent. They are far from perfect and do produce lemons just like any other gun company so even a Glock needs to be tested before trusted. People just like what they like. Some are zealots and others just use them without fanfare. I own and sometimes carry Glocks, but prefer and have moved back to 1911s. The worst out of box experience I've had with a new gun was a Glock 19. It was far worse for the first 150 rounds than any 1911 (yes, even the RIA I own), Bersa, CZ, Witness or anything else I've had. If I would have trusted it without shooting it and then needed to use it, I'd probably be dead right now.

Fanboys of any type should be exposed for the narrow minded dolts they are. The decision on what you will base your family's protection on should be carefully considered, not made because of the number of nimrods that answer handgun choice questions with one word.

Agreed.

Then there are those who are totally locked into the price. What it costs to get involved. It is a lot cheaper to play with a 9mm Glock than a mid-range .45 ACP 1911. I am fully aware of the costs involved.
    Had a fella get up on a soap box at the range this summer. He had 2 Glocks and I was running 1 of my 1911's. He was endless with the "I have 2 Glocks for what you have invested in 1 1911"
    So what. STFU and enjoy your time with the ones you have. Price is of little consideration if that is what you really want. We all search and shop for the best deal but we all know what it will cost to play.

Last edited:

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I was resisting the urge, but I'm in... I have never owned a Glock, but have fired them several times. I am more of a purist in that i Prefer an all steel gun. I do not care for polymer, therefore I don't own a polymer weapon. Glocks are what they are. Reliable & accurate. You like them or you don't.

I used the M9 in the military & never cared for it. Yes, it too is reliable & accurate. I just don't care for the feel of the weapon in hand.

I am a 1911 "fanboi", as some would call it. Again, reliable & accurate. A 1911 just feels right in use. It fits my hand well and it does what it was made for, quite well.

All that being said, if a 1911 was not an option, then I would prefer a CZ-75, or quality variant of.

Truth be told: I don't keep up with the Jones's. I do my own thing & when talking weapons, I go with what I like. All steel, quality, reliability, accuracy, ergonomics & feel.:twocents:

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't think the Glock will ever be considered 'America's Gun'. It would be an insult to Americans to do so considering the Glock is an Austrian invention. It would be like declaring the Honda to be 'America's Car'. Sure, there are a lot around and they work well, and they are even being produced in the US, but they are not a product of what makes American's special. I don't know what the next pistol to join the ranks of the Peacemaker or 1911 as 'America's Gun' will be and there seems to be nothing on the horizon. The 1911 took the title away from the Peacemaker due to how revolutionary it was by comparison. I cannot think of anything that is distinctly American that stands any chance of unseating the 1911 as 'America's Gun'. The 1911 and the AR seem to be the crown princes of staying power in American firearms right now.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw

Absolutely! I have a Taurus 809 I keep at home for defense that I am disturbingly attracted to. It fits my hands so well, and is unbelievably reliable. I was told Glock, Glock, Glock for my first handgun but this is so much better than any other gun I have ever shot. I really was surprised that in the first month I had 1,000 rounds of ammo through it without any malfunctions, and still none today several thousand rounds later. Its a TAURUS! So, everybody can make a good product, its just a matter of doing your homework.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have 3 glocks personally and have been keeping my friends' glocks running for the past 6-7 years.

My observations are that glock WAS great. But as soon as the later RTF2 models and the gen4 models came out, a lot of things have changed. I would be hard pressed to recommend a glock anymore unless it says "austria" on the side, and with the new chamber dimensions I'd be hard pressed to even recommend them then. I've observed too many mechanical failures and hickups on recent models to be comfortable with them anymore.

I have a 37, 20c, and an RTF2 23. I have had 1 malfunction on the RTF2 23 that I believe was ammo related, but I have never had a malfunction out of the others.

My friend's gen4 model 19 gave me quite a few headaches, even with the new recoil assembly.
    If you've seen many reviews of the new model 42, you'll notice it doesn't seem to run very well either.

With the price of FN FNP/FNS/FNX, Beretta, CZ, S&W M&P, XD/XDm, and the walther PPQ, I can't find anything glock does better anymore. For that matter, glocks now run as much as a lightly used HK USP, or sig P226. Whether you think those guns are better or not is up to you, but they are objectively a step above.

I was a glock fan but I've moved on and have been very happy with the results.

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes, Glocks are really that good. Yes, Kahrs are really better than Glocks. I have both and I use both. I would not want to get rid of either brand.

zonfather

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Indy
    I would like Glocks a lot better if every single one of them I've owned didn't at one time or another (some consistently) 6 o'clock eject into my face. If anyone has a fix for this, the info would be appreciated.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Can anyone tell me why the .40 cal. Glocks are so unpopular? I never seem to hear about the 35, or 27... Not sure why. They are actually the most appealing to me.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have never had a gun that goes bang every single time like my G19's do, they are ugly, they feel odd in my hand, the grip angle sucks, I would not trade them for the world! I have had several different firearms, several M+P's that I had problems with even though they look and feel good.

I don't like gen4 Clocks, gen3.5 is as good as it gets!!!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Glock feels like a block in my hand. And the grip angle is wrong. For these two reasons alone I would think they would lose popularity...the fanboys are strong.

M&P wins for me, owned 3, now have 2 (compact 40 and 5" pro 40). They fit the hand like a glove...simply awesome, low bore axis, different backstraps, simple mechanism that is very easy to work on, awesome reliability, and they look great. They are simply outstanding if you drop in an Apex Tactical trigger kit. :yesway:

Top Bottom