• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I hate what the AW scare has done to the LGS. Gone are the days of courteous and friendly service. Gone are the days of sharing the same passion in our hobby. Gone are the days of respecting or even remembering loyal customers. and on and on. :(

I would think that having spent $3700 in my last 3 gun purchases in less than 3 months would at least be worth a friendly nod or "hey there". Instead I stand for over an hour in an almost empty store wanting to be waited on while the clerks ****-chat at the checkout counter. While I stared at the S&W revolver I had came to purchase I finally figured it was not to be and walked out. I guess there just isn't any desire or need to help a loyal customer of over 4 years with $1000 in his wallet to spend.

Someday this frenzy will end and the long lines of panicking buyers will fade away. Hopefull someday a loyal customer/business relationship will mean something again. This is 2 times in a row that this has happened there and will be the last time. I just hope I can find another GS that wants my cash.

I wanted to post my concern on their facebook page but figured they would just delete it to avoid any negative impression.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Name names or it didn't happen!...You are probably right about many LGSs around considering the massive increase in people coming in their shops recently. Friendly faces could conceivably be washed away into the crowds.

I will say though my last 3 trips to different LGSs around Indy have been completely different. I swung by Beech Grove a few weeks ago looking for a certain rifle, they didn't have it but I wasn't in the shop for more than a few minutes looking at the racks before someone asked if I wanted to see something. After that I went over to Bradis and they had a .22 that was on my list to get. The store was packed but I was done with my paperwork and out of there as fast as ever. Recently stopped over at PSS too and had a similar experience.....

Sounds like you are in need of a better LGS. You're definitely spot on with your assessment though. Someday (hopefully soon :/ ) the craziness will stop and people wont have to go to places with crap service to spend their hard earned $$$.

Maybe try contacting the owner of the shop and let him know how much you've spent there recently and what you were looking at. Maybe he'll give you a deal if you decide to continue doing business there.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    i have felt the same way about a couple LGS. Now though I have found a good one. While not huge they have a decent selection and seem to enjoy talking about shooting and they really do appreciate your business. Terre Haute Guns has earned the rest of my business as long as they can get what I want. Talked to them today and purchased a couple pieces of Magpul. He said I was the second person in two days to ask him about INGO so hopefully he will be on here soon.
    Luckily they are also one of the closest gun shops to me but if I were you I'd move to the next one. I'd travel a little farther for good service.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Hard to say. I had several bad experiences at Plainfield in a row. I am a regular there (not just window shopping, buying) and haven't recieved even a modicum of good service the few times I went. The last straw was when I got there and they did a box maximum on ammo. No signs, no nothing. I'm fine but when you are "so busy you can't even get a sign up", I find that poor service. But of course, there will be legions of folks that will say, "well, I've never had a bad experience at PSS" and that may be the case, but as a regular customer, I don't expect to be groveled to but I do expect minimal degredation of service. :twocents:

Bradis, however, has been sterling despite the hilljack scare runs. You can go in and as long as you are willing to wait a bit while they help someone else, you will recieve attention that you as a customer deserve. They have been dependable in that regard. Mark runs a good shop there.

Beach Grove Firearms... The only time I went there, we were asked if we needed assistance, which was cool, but they seemed busy compared to the amount of customers in there. Everyone seemed to be "busy". It was weird. :D But a nice shop, good people.

I can see how the OP is frustrated. I am no longer shopping at PSS based on their performance the past few visits there. When I hear scuttlebutt (which, yes, half of what you see, none of what you hear) of him not selling any magazines, holding onto all of them for the gunshow, that pretty much seals it in my mind. If you are willing to serve strangers from out of the way reaches rather than the people that are your damn bread and butter, I will take my business elsewhere....

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    My LGS's have not hired more people so they are doing the bigger business with that staff. I don't blame them for not hiring because the frenzied buying will end soon.
    When I go in Im just patient. The other day was the same as the owner was busy helping a lady make her first purchase. I understood he had to show her all the ropes and when the helper got free he was there to get me what I needed made the transaction and out the door I went.
    There isn't any reason for me to get upset as my local shops are still good and helping the people. Now the $1600 bushmaster was a good chuckle ill admit.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Bradis, however, has been sterling despite the hilljack scare runs. You can go in and as long as you are willing to wait a bit while they help someone else, you will recieve attention that you as a customer deserve. They have been dependable in that regard. Mark runs a good shop there.

True this.

I was in there today and there were several goofball customers they were treating with top notch service and dignity.

They weren't gun shop of the year for nothing! :ingo:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Volume

The simple fact that you've spent money there doesn't make you stand out in the crowd. If they are much of a store, they probably have customers who have spent many times more than you have. When I go into a gun store, I make a point of speaking to one employee or another. That street can run both ways, ya' know.

Now, if the store is empty and you can't get so much as a greeting even as a first time visitor, I'd contact the owner and let him know about it. Unless he's a complete jerk, he'd want to know his employees are ignoring potential customers.

If they're as busy as some have been lately, I don't expect anybody to roll out the red carpet. I've been in one LGS several times lately which was so busy the employees were being run ragged and probably would have welcomed the chance to talk to only one person at a time. Multi-tasking has been taken to a whole new level in gun shops recently.

Now, I'm curious as to whether or not you (OP) feel better for non-specific whining about it on a forum.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I could understand if they were swamped but Midwest was uncommonly calm and without many customers. Some of the employees were just standing around. The worst part is the employee that I have bought every one of my guns from was standing right there and even looked over at me with no idea who I was. I mean c'mon now. In the last year I have bought a Kimber 1911, Springfield M1A, S&W 1911, M&P 15-22, Ruger Blackhawk and a M&P 9c all from him and he doesn't even know me?

Now, I'm curious as to whether or not you (OP) feel better for non-specific whining about it on a forum.

Yes I do!! :)

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Since December, I have had sterling service from Jeff and his family at McDonald's Gun Shop. They have been busier than lottery clerks, one hour before the drawing for a $300,000,000 jackpot. He is always courteous, helpful and has kept his prices reasonable, to what his restocking fees will be. And he always cuts a break to his regular customers. Old fashioned service goes a long way towards bringing back customers.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I went to my LGS last Friday. Only NINE(9) GUNS!! And one box of ammo to a customer. They still talked to me like always until a customer needed help which is understandable. There were 4 to 5 people looking at the nine guns.

Last edited:

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Ya get better and more friendly service from the guy selling ice cream cones.... what's up with that?? :dunno:

The OP has a valid point...he's spent $thousands in a short time...and doesn't even get a smile?? Something is wrong with that.

BRADIS... I've had experience with you.... I'll give you an AAAA+ You may not have what I want, or not at the price that I want...but you seem to be genuinely happy that my fat a** crossed your door. I thank you for that.

PSS....OK, OK... I've spent more money with you... but you are slowly becoming the K-Mart of LGS around here. That's only gonna go so far with me. :ar15:

Ron Cooper @ Target Sports in Sheridan.....has always been a perfect gentleman to me, and always spot on with quick customer service, in spite of the "usuals" hanging around. :yesway:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Hard to say. I had several bad experiences at Plainfield in a row. I am a regular there (not just window shopping, buying) and haven't recieved even a modicum of good service the few times I went. The last straw was when I got there and they did a box maximum on ammo. No signs, no nothing. I'm fine but when you are "so busy you can't even get a sign up", I find that poor service. But of course, there will be legions of folks that will say, "well, I've never had a bad experience at PSS" and that may be the case, but as a regular customer, I don't expect to be groveled to but I do expect minimal degredation of service. :twocents:

Beach Grove Firearms... The only time I went there, we were asked if we needed assistance, which was cool, but they seemed busy compared to the amount of customers in there. Everyone seemed to be "busy". It was weird. :D But a nice shop, good people.

I can see how the OP is frustrated. I am no longer shopping at PSS based on their performance the past few visits there. When I hear scuttlebutt (which, yes, half of what you see, none of what you hear) of him not selling any magazines, holding onto all of them for the gunshow, that pretty much seals it in my mind. If you are willing to serve strangers from out of the way reaches rather than the people that are your damn bread and butter, I will take my business elsewhere....

Sorry to hear about your dealings with PSS. I understand your feelings though. I wasn't aware of him hording mags, last time I was in there I just figured they were out like everyone else. One thing I will say about PSS...I have not seen their prices beat anywhere (at least on the 4 pistols I've bought from them). Including online, in fact I got 2 of the guns about $20 cheaper than what they were selling for on budsgunshop. I'll stop by Bob's table this weekend and see what kind of prices he has on the mags. If he is being outrageous I won't be spending anymore time there while I'm living in Indy.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My LGS in Fort Wayne is Hillside Shooting Sports, not afraid to drop their name. I find their prices are fair and even a deal to be had every now n then, good selection, they always like to talk bout guns, shooting, options, etc..., and always make sure you're being helped.

K&T guns in New Haven is a store I recently had the pleasure of doing business with. Small selection but lots of the commonly wanted items, and the guy will definitely help you out.

I'm waitin for the day I win the lottery so I can just walk into Hillside and say "I'll take the wall... all of 'em". :): I'm glad to have good stores nearby.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    In the last week or two I've been to K&T in New Haven and Tomlinson's in busco and have zero complaints about either. If you do have an issue just your with your wallet.

cTEKs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    101 Lakes
    He's from Bremen, my guess .... Midwest Gun Exchange.

I was there Sunday and within 30 seconds of walking in the door, a store representative walked up to me and asked how I had been. He proceeded to make small talk and such. I wasnt even at a counter. After a few minutes I said I was gonna look around and was just burning some time. After making a lap around the store browsing, we met up again and talked some more. He even asked how the Glock he sold me was doing for me. Keep in mind this was 13 months ago that he sold it to me. I know they can have a reputation of ignoring folks, but I give this guy an A+ for his customer service and interaction skills! There was no pressure to buy anything and he was friendly and courteous. He will be the one that gets my sale whenever I return to make a purchase. Just sharing my experience.

Top Bottom