• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As an LGS owner I have not changed my attitude towards any of my customers and I have tried to be the same eccentric (weird?) guy I always was. In the days following the shooting I sold a Norinco AK with a 75 round chinese drum to one of my regulars for $799 and a Romanian RPK LNIB unfired for $899. (It was $799 but it was a consignment gun and the consignee requested I raise the price $100, we had some disagreement about that but in the end he won because it was his gun.)

I will say this though...After the AWB panic my phone courtesy is officially gone...I am getting a ton of calls asking for stuff I never carried or "stocked" as it were, area codes are from out of state, breathless panic in the voice..."Hey man do you have any AR 15's, Ak's etc...?" Me "No sir, I mostly carry...Hello??? Hello???" Now I just say "No and I am fresh out of unicorn horns as well." That way I at least get to say something before they hang up the phone on me.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    BS. Their prices are going up too. What do you expect them to do; sell at a loss so you can have a warm moment together?

True to an extent. LGS can and should price their existing inventory on what it costs to replace that item, not what they paid for it months ago.

So if their cost on pmags is now $45 for current orders, I don't have a problem with a $60 price. EVEN if they only paid $10 for it, way back when.

My problem with the LGS in question is not selling them at that price in the store to regulars first.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    So, it has come down to this. Bad mouthing our LGS's. It's a business for crying out loud. I'd rather you get the !@#$ out of my way and let me do my shopping instead of you having a Taster's Choice moment with the employees.

I never go to the LGS to browse. I know what I want in advance and take the cash to get it. On the average over $1000 per visit. The faster I'm outa there the better. IMO, Not many business owners want their employees forcing customers like that to go to the competition. ;)

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Wow sounds like a bunch of girls buy panties. Maybe my skin is just a little thicker. But I go to a gun store to buy guns. Not to hang out and make small talk. I don't care if they remember me or not. It's not like it's going to matter. I have bought quite a few guns off Bob at PSS and not once has it made a difference. Not once has he or any other dealer said hey your a regular i'll knock 15% off. 1 thing it has earned me is the ability to call Bob and ask him if he as something. If he does he will hold it for me and i'll go pick it up. Never asks me for a deposit on stuff in sock or guns he orders for me. I do like that but I don't expect it. It's not like they want your friendship. They want your money. I thought most of us had figured that out by now.

JAFO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    I typically end up buying from PSS.. but have to admit service shifts from day to day. At least I can always look forward to hearing Bob's singing voice!

cTEKs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    101 Lakes
    Wow sounds like a bunch of girls buy panties. They want your money. I thought most of us had figured that out by now.

Sure they do, but that doesn't mean I will hand my hard earned cash to some DB that doesn't earn it. For the same reason my tip to a waiter/waitress is based on the service received. If you have poor customer service and don't provide a positive customer experience... You won't have my business, period. Just because a LGS might be selling something that is currently "In Demand" gives no excuse for poor business practices.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    Sure they do, but that doesn't mean I will hand my hard earned cash to some DB that doesn't earn it. For the same reason my tip to a waiter/waitress is based on the service received. If you have poor customer service and don't provide a positive customer experience... You won't have my business, period. Just because a LGS might be selling something that is currently "In Demand" gives no excuse for poor business practices.
    Exactly. I got really bad service from my LGS at a time when they weren't busy at all.
    I'd have the exact same complaint if I'd been in a paint store, a hardware store, a hobby shop, you name it. The line of business doesn't really matter - bad service is bad service.

cTEKs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    101 Lakes
    Exactly. I got really bad service from my LGS at a time when they weren't busy at all.
    I'd have the exact same complaint if I'd been in a paint store, a hardware store, a hobby shop, you name it. The line of business doesn't really matter - bad service is bad service.

If I, or any of my employees, were to treat any of our B2B or B2C clients as I have seen in some LGS's, I wouldn't expect them to come back as we don't deserve their business. Unfortunately, some of these establishments seem to think they don't have to earn your business as someone with "Thick Skin" will walk in and give them their money regardless. I refuse to beg for customer service. Even if you are packed with people, make at least an effort to acknowledge I am there and that you would be happy to assist me as soon as you or an associate become available. My expectations of your business is nothing I don't expect from my own. It isn't like I expect to be treated like I am at a Ritz-Carlton or a similar that strives for the customer experience at all cost. Now that I think about it... Maybe if they acted more like a Ritz their pricing would quickly become irrelevant. Just because Gun Stores are generally perceived in a certain way doesn't mean you have to continue the tradition. Break the mold!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Unfortunately, some of these establishments seem to think they don't have to earn your business as someone with "Thick Skin" will walk in and give them their money regardless. I refuse to beg for customer service. Even if you are packed with people, make at least an effort to acknowledge I am there and that you would be happy to assist me as soon as you or an associate become available.

Well Put!

Sadly, thick skinned customers is exactly what the big-box stores have created. I'm so glad I got to experience and get to remember the days of the mom & pop stores and how different it was to do business back then. If you were a stranger when you walked in, you weren't when you walked out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As an LGS owner I have not changed my attitude towards any of my customers and I have tried to be the same eccentric (weird?) guy I always was. In the days following the shooting I sold a Norinco AK with a 75 round chinese drum to one of my regulars for $799 and a Romanian RPK LNIB unfired for $899. (It was $799 but it was a consignment gun and the consignee requested I raise the price $100, we had some disagreement about that but in the end he won because it was his gun.)

I will say this though...After the AWB panic my phone courtesy is officially gone...I am getting a ton of calls asking for stuff I never carried or "stocked" as it were, area codes are from out of state, breathless panic in the voice..."Hey man do you have any AR 15's, Ak's etc...?" Me "No sir, I mostly carry...Hello??? Hello???" Now I just say "No and I am fresh out of unicorn horns as well." That way I at least get to say something before they hang up the phone on me.

I have seen this first hand at 1 of my favorite LGS with the phone madness. These fellas were never big on black guns. They have a few but keep them in the back room and if you ask in person they may show you one and may not. Their call. If you are a thug...no show. Point is, they are not known for these. Now that folks are in a panic it seems they run through the phone book looking for AR's etc and probably to post up on Gun Brokers for re-sale. Store owner is getting a headache from talking to these people as most are un-educated in fire arms and asking the usual sound bite questions.
    I no longer wonder why Barry won a second term. It has become crystal clear.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    I would encourage everyone to buy the way they want to buy. If you don't care about customer service great...If you want someone to appreciate your decision to be a repeat customer that is geat as well. For me, I want to buy from people that take care of their customers. If you want to be an ******* everytime I come in I prefer to go elsewhere and often share my thoughts with my friends. Some shops you can't get anyone to make eye contact with you. Others you can't freaking breath for more than 2 minutes because of the smoke (this is a huge one for me). But, there are many out there where the owners/clerks are great and that's where my money goes.

IndyGT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    I typically end up buying from PSS.. but have to admit service shifts from day to day. At least I can always look forward to hearing Bob's singing voice!

LOL, I just experienced this! Good experience at PSS for me. I had at least 4 different employees help me and they were pretty busy. Prices on guns seemed in line with pre-panic too. Ammo is another story.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I went out yesterday two 2 local shops to find a new v-block for my 10/22, mine broke as I was putting a new barrel on. It's an old 10/22 and I can see this happening, no big deal, just get another.

First shop, busy, but I got to talk to someone right away and was told they had none. No problem. The problem I had, was them telling me to go to something.com and get one. Ok, I'll go there. I'll also go there for everything else I need, thanks for the tip. I guess I have no reason to go back to your shop if I can get everything online.

Second shop, busy, but again I talked to someone right away. The also don't carry them but suggested I contact Ruger. Better, but then the guy asks me how I broke it. Suggests that I put it on upside down, and/or tightened it down too much. Really?

I know it's a cheap part, I know I can find it online, I know I can probably buy it cheaper, I know there's not a huge profit margin in it for you. I'd pay more to buy it locally, I'd be fine with you having to order it for me.

huey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    SW IND
    It just makes me mad 2-3 times the price i can get online and shpped

I know thay need to make a profit but dang
    so now i shop mostly online:twocents:

SpyderRick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    Have to say that's why Bradis gets almost all my business. Have not had that problem yet. I understand things will go up some because of all this crap but they been great.

Top Bottom