• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is a Weber grill worth the extra cost over a regular grill?

• Total voters

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Best charcoal grill on the market. If I'm grilling I use the weber, smoking and making pizza I use the Big Green Egg.

IMG_1854.jpg

I see from the pic you got the tops made for the table. Looks great.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Geesh, you guys aren't going to save me a dime. Apparently now I must buy the Weber.

Now... some of these have the cast iron grates, stainless grates, or the new porcelain grates. Is there one of these that's better than the others? I would assume that the cast iron would be the way to go, but I'm open to suggestions.

On another note, my patio is a pretty big concrete slab and I'd like to get some kind of a nice little countertop setup right next to the grill, but I don't want to throw a lot of money at it. Any suggestions there?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Whatever you buy can last a long time as long as you take care of it. My thoughts are the Weber guys and people who spend a ton of money on their grills make sure that they are well protected from the elements. People who typically buy cheaper grills not so much. Cheap grills are made cheaply, but if you take care of them like an expensive grill they will last a long time in most cases.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Whatever you buy can last a long time as long as you take care of it. My thoughts are the Weber guys and people who spend a ton of money on their grills make sure that they are well protected from the elements. People who typically buy cheaper grills not so much. Cheap grills are made cheaply, but if you take care of them like an expensive grill they will last a long time in most cases.
    You need to read my post upthread, out in the elements ran over a few times, lasted 13 years.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

My Weber gas grill has sat outside uncovered for over 12 years.
    My 8 year old Weber Kettle got picked up demolished in a wind storm last year.:(
    Both were hand me downs from others.

Looking for a deal on a Kettle to buy this spring.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm in the minority here... I hate my Weber gas grill... Contantly battling flare-ups and horribly uneven heating... It seems to be somewhat common if you don't clean the grill religiously after every use... what's the point in having a grill that needs cleaned top to bottom after every use? Same purpose as having a car that has to have a car-wash after every time you get it out of the garage?

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    XtremeVel and I have both a Weber gas and charcoal grill. We use the gas occasionally, but the charcoal one is the bomb!!! He made 3 slabs of bbq ribs last week using the weber rack to slow cook them on. ( approx. 5-6 hrs) He uses hickory chips to smoke. He puts on a "rub", then a " mop ", then sauce at the very end. They are the best I've ever had. I'm so glad I'm married to a master griller! :rockwoot:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm in the minority here... I hate my Weber gas grill... Contantly battling flare-ups and horribly uneven heating... It seems to be somewhat common if you don't clean the grill religiously after every use... what's the point in having a grill that needs cleaned top to bottom after every use? Same purpose as having a car that has to have a car-wash after every time you get it out of the garage?

Every time I get done grilling I'd brush off the grates and every time before I started grilling I'd brush off the grates. Beyond that I don't plan on doing anything else with the grill other than changing the gas tank.

There is a valid arguement though for grills lasting longer because of the better treatment. I was talking with my brother in law and I had to catch myself because here I was moaning about my last grill not lasting long because it was a cheapo and left outside, but if I bought this new fancy weber I'd surely buy the better cover and bring it in during the winter. I about smacked myself in the forehead because of course any grill will last longer if you baby them like that. If I do spend the money on a weber I will go the extra mile and treat it well.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was on the fence but we ended up buying a Weber genesis. After I really looked at the Webers hard the cheaper grills just seemed so bad to me. Maybe I'm becoming a grill snob. I started this thread genuinely hoping the consensus would be to buy the cheaper grill.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, now that we've cooked on our new Weber Genesis I have to admit that I am now drinking the Weber koolaid. That grill is awesome, plain and simple. My nieghbors came down and he cooked on half the grill for his family of 4 and I cooked on the other half for my family of 5 and both turned out awesome. They did burgers & hot dogs, and we did thin pork chops and hot dogs. All the food was awesome. The next time we used it was on chicken. On our old grill we'd been putting a little stainless bowl full of water on the grill to keep the chicken moist and we completely forgot all about that on our second grilling and the chicken was some of the best we'd ever had and it was the cheap stuff that comes in te big bags.

All things considered, I now completely understand why people pay the extra money for a Weber grill, and now I'm trying to convince friends and family to give my grill a test drive before buying anything else.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Well, now that we've cooked on our new Weber Genesis I have to admit that I am now drinking the Weber koolaid. That grill is awesome, plain and simple. My nieghbors came down and he cooked on half the grill for his family of 4 and I cooked on the other half for my family of 5 and both turned out awesome. They did burgers & hot dogs, and we did thin pork chops and hot dogs. All the food was awesome. The next time we used it was on chicken. On our old grill we'd been putting a little stainless bowl full of water on the grill to keep the chicken moist and we completely forgot all about that on our second grilling and the chicken was some of the best we'd ever had and it was the cheap stuff that comes in te big bags.

All things considered, I now completely understand why people pay the extra money for a Weber grill, and now I'm trying to convince friends and family to give my grill a test drive before buying anything else.
    In 10 years you will understand it even more :rockwoot:

Top Bottom