• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't wipe the snow off my roof. Don't tailgate me.

2cbdfe1d79f0feeb097824057d524a7f.gif

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I've had that happen before, although the ice just hit the front of my car and not the windshield. As soon as I saw it come off the car in front of me I hit the brakes, but that just made the whole thing seem like it was going in slow motion. Was kind of a surreal feeling.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Another pretty normal distance.

You're a hazard to everyone around you. You clean your windshield and rear window because it benefits you. You leave the **** on top because "It's not my problem. **** everyone else."

MinorLameKillerwhale-size_restricted.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Plenty of time to change lanes if you're paying attention. Driver in video doesn't even think about changing anything

No, there's not plenty of time. Average response time to recognize an event requires action is ~1 second depending largely on age. Doesn't leave much time to see it coming, decide you must react, what the reaction should be, make sure the next lane is clear to get over, and then get over. Ever see a pothole in front of you and then hit it? It's because by the time you see it, it's probably too late at that speed. You should stay at least 2 seconds behind the vehicle in front of you, which it looks pretty close in the video. It's not the driver's fault.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How can you tell if the lane to his right was clear?

Because when I drive, my attention is pretty much solely on driving. I look in all my mirrors constantly and pretty much know where I can go if I have to at all times. Habits honed racing and riding motorcycles

Even if the driver in the video wasn't up to speed, in that amount of time I would have expected lift or brake and at least a twitch to the right as that lane was considered

If two seconds isn't enough time to react to anything, then that person's following distance still isn't great enough

Edit: I'm not trying to assign responsibility or blame, I'm saying avoidance of the problematic sitch is the best option, why shouldn't SA apply just as much behind the wheel

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Because when I drive, my attention is pretty much solely on driving. I look in all my mirrors constantly and pretty much know where I can go if I have to at all times. Habits honed racing and riding motorcycles

Even if the driver in the video wasn't up to speed, in that amount of time I would have expected lift or brake and at least a twitch to the right as that lane was considered

If two seconds isn't enough time to react to anything, then that person's following distance still isn't great enough

Edit: I'm not trying to assign responsibility or blame, I'm saying
    avoidance of the problematic sitch is the best option, why shouldn't SA apply just as much behind the wheel

Cleaning off one's roof would avoid creating a problematic sitch in the first place. That's what I'm saying. Don't be a sitch. ;)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The other driver wasn't affected by the problematic sitch, unless you think someone hunted him/her down to press charges or a lawsuit

Only behavior I can reliably control is my own

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The other driver wasn't affected by the problematic sitch, unless you think someone hunted him/her down to press charges or a lawsuit

Only behavior I can reliably control is my own
    No, they weren't affected by it, they caused it because of their own self-absorbed worldview.

Let's say they were driving a dumptruck. They didn't latch the dump gate properly, causing their load to suddenly dump on the road, blocking several lanes and causing a multi-car accident. Dump truck driver continues on their merry way, blissfully ignorant of the unfolding chaos behind them. Are you contending that he bears no responsibility for the multi-car accident? All those other drivers should have expected the dump truck to dump its load in the middle of the highway? I mean hey, the load seemed secure when he left the terminal. After that, it's not his problem?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No, I'm saying what I actually said

The only behavior I can reliably control is my own. I expect darn near everybody else to be lazy, selfish and perfectly willing to risk my safety

I get what you're trying to say but it isn't going to happen, and if I had been on your stretch of road for more than a minute I would no longer be behind the dump truck anyway

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    No, I'm saying what I actually said

The only behavior I can reliably control is my own. I expect darn near everybody else to be lazy, selfish and perfectly willing to risk my safety

I get what you're trying to say but it isn't going to happen, and if I had been on your stretch of road for more than a minute I would no longer be behind the dump truck anyway

This.

Stay away from the semis today folks. Can't climb on the roof and knock that crap off. We have a roof scraper at the yard we do use , but the ice doesn't always scrape off. And if we just picked up the trailer at the store or vendor, we're stuck with the snow on the roof.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This.

Stay away from the semis today folks. Can't climb on the roof and knock that crap off. We have a roof scraper at the yard we do use , but the ice doesn't always scrape off. And if we just picked up the trailer at the store or vendor, we're stuck with the snow on the roof.

That's at least understandable. Passenger vehicles have no such challenges preventing the owners from clearing off their roof. A broom will do it for the most part. Anyhoo... :horse:

One is either considerate of others or they're not. :dunno:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Regardless if you're SOLE attention is on driving, in order to miss that incoming missile at your windshield takes this process....

Reaction time to notice it...
    Reaction time to attempt to change lanes SAFELY to avoid it.
    You might think you're good to go with you're Honed skills from racing and riding motorcycles, but all you're doing is setting yourself up for failure.
    The lone recourse is to hit your brakes and pray for a good outcome, rapid lane shifting can cause an uncontrollable slide from the very condition that caused it.

You're not on a racetrack, you're on a public roadway with a wide array of varying skill-sets, some vastly inferior & superior to you and your skill-set.

It's like the age old adage, it's better to hit the the varmit that runs out in front of you, rather than kill yourself and someone else.

Oh, one thing, that twitch you mentioned, more than likely puts you in the slush generated between the wheels, good luck with that, you're a person I don't want to be behind.

All in all, don't be that D***, clean off your vehicle, and if you're behind that *ick who doesn't clean it off, leave more space between you and the inconsiderate a-hole.

Edit: I'm not trying to assign responsibility or blame, I'm saying avoidance of the problematic sitch is the best option, why shouldn't SA apply just as much behind the wheel

Top Bottom