• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Another tip... A craving lasts 4 minutes. Whenever a craving hits, find something to make your mind busy for a little bit. I found this to be a big help as well. Also a LOT of sunflower seeds at work.

-MColford

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It's getting a little rough tonight. Crazy busy at work so I brought work home to try and catch up. The work stress isn't bothering me too much but the little one is apparently cutting teeth this week. The waking up multiple times a night and crying is about to push me to go buy a pack! Perfect time to quit:laugh:

On the bright side I'm doing better than I usually do. For some reason the cravings are not as bad as usual and I'm not thinking about smoking every waking moment.

Sorry to hear you have been waking up crying several times a night. If you teething baby can sleep thru it you can make it too:D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Congratulations to all you guys kicking it to the curb.

I quit cold turkey after picking up the habit in college. What started as social smoking turned in to a pack a day. When I realized the one pack wasn't making it to the end of the day, I knew it was time to quit.

Every once in a great while I'll get what I call a nostalgic craving. It's not a physiological one, but the smell of a particular brand will trigger memories from that time. But that passes quickly enough and I go on about my business.

To all those trying: you can do it.

Now I'm just addicted to Diet Coke. Don't know which is worse.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I started Chantix yesterday so we'll see how this goes. I've quit once before, it was a couple years ago and I did that cold turkey. I'm not confident enough to try that way again so I thought I'd get a little help. I've heard all the warnings and such, but everyone I've talked to who's actually used it hasn't had any problems.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    you know no one likes a quitter . The govener raised taxes on smokes to fund health care for kids . if you quit , your not helping pay for the care of kids . Do you hate kids ? just kidding I quit cold turkey over 10 years ago . When I saw that I was spending more on smokes than I was putting in my 401K I quit for good . Trick is finding what works for you . Good luck

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    you know no one likes a quitter . The govener raised taxes on smokes to fund health care for kids . if you quit , your not helping pay for the care of kids . Do you hate kids ? just kidding I quit cold turkey over 10 years ago . When I saw that I was spending more on smokes than I was putting in my 401K I quit for good . Trick is finding what works for you . Good luck

One of the things that did it for me, was when Id skip going to eat luch at work because I bought smokes insted of eating lunch. But I totaly agree have to do what works for you!

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Well I officially going to quit today.

A older friend at worked died of lung cancer the other day, and it makes me sick to my stomach to think of all the pain he went through. You could just tell he was miserable.

I'm going to need a lot of help on this, and I really hope this thread can help me. SO my question is, whats the trick to making it through the first couple days? I've been told that they are the worst part. And how did any of you beer drinkers satisfy the craving when drinking?? Thanks for all the help. It's already helping me :ingo:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Well I officially going to quit today.

A older friend at worked died of lung cancer the other day, and it makes me sick to my stomach to think of all the pain he went through. You could just tell he was miserable.

I'm going to need a lot of help on this, and I really hope this thread can help me. SO my question is, whats the trick to making it through the first couple days? I've been told that they are the worst part. And how did any of you beer drinkers satisfy the craving when drinking?? Thanks for all the help. It's already helping me :ingo:
    I used an E-cig.
    Zero cravings.
    Zero grumping.
    That was almost three months ago, after 47 years of smoking. ;)

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I used an E-cig.
    Zero cravings.
    Zero grumping.
    That was almost three months ago, after 47 years of smoking. ;)

I thought about that, but a friend of mine at work is using one, and not having much luck with it. And he's an even stronger willed person than me.
    Plus, they're expensive, and i'm trying to save money to buy more guns :D

And I'd rep you for quiting (and the advice) but I gotta "spread it around"

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I started Chantix yesterday so we'll see how this goes. I've quit once before, it was a couple years ago and I did that cold turkey. I'm not confident enough to try that way again so I thought I'd get a little help. I've heard all the warnings and such, but everyone I've talked to who's actually used it hasn't had any problems.

I did the Chantix thing. It was the magic bullet for me. 30 years of puffing and hacking and I walked away with no bad withdraws. I had tired to quit several other times in my life. I am at one year now. Damn it feels good not to wake in the mornings hacking up a body part.

Guy's if I was able to quit any of you can. I have a personality that can form a addiction out of anything if I give it a try. One of the reasons I really limit myself to medicine, ect...

What ever you do keep it up. It is the best thing you can do to increase your life and time with your family. PM me and I'll give you my cell to call day or night if that will help at all. Not like I would know what to say but I'll give you a atta boy grow some balls speech if that will help.

Good luck to any guy or gal wanting to quit! You Rock!!!:yesway:

It really is that good.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I thought about that, but a friend of mine at work is using one, and not having much luck with it. And he's an even stronger willed person than me.
    Plus, they're expensive, and i'm trying to save money to buy more guns :D

And I'd rep you for quiting (and the advice) but I gotta "spread it around"
    Well.....
    I used the last cartridge from my initial order today.
    My start up cost was $109.20. (Safe Cig Starter Kit Pro and three extra five pack refills.)
    A pack a day habit would have been about $350.00 during the same time period. ;)

schm00g13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    I quit 2 months ago. I smoked for 33 years. The FSC coating was wrecking my lungs and 5 bucks and some change for a pack plus lots of pressure from the girlfriend, her kids, my kids, and just about everyone in my life made me decide to quit. Bought a generic 510 e-cigarette and I refill the cartridges with juice from the mall kiosk. The e-cig satisfies the throat hit associated with smoking a real cigarette. I went from spending around 100 bucks a month on smoking to 10 dollars a month on e-juice.
    Probably walk away from the e-cig soon as I am using the lowest nicotine level available. Beat the nicotine addiction first then beat the hand to mouth habit. Stay strong. You can beat it.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Checking in to see how everyone is doing....I failed miserably back in August. However I'm doing it again and now on day 14 cold turkey and going strong.

This will sound goofy but my wife made a calender out of foam ghost. Each day I go with out a smoke I get to put a sticker on it. Even though I feel like grade school student putting stickers on a calender it helps give me a sense of accomplishment to put a sticker on it. The wife and 11 month old named the calender "Smokey the Ghost". Our son loves to point, look, and laugh at the calender, which I think gives me a little motivation each evening.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Checking in to see how everyone is doing....I failed miserably back in August. However I'm doing it again and now on day 14 cold turkey and going strong.

This will sound goofy but my wife made a calender out of foam ghost. Each day I go with out a smoke I get to put a sticker on it. Even though I feel like grade school student putting stickers on a calender it helps give me a sense of accomplishment to put a sticker on it. The wife and 11 month old named the calender "Smokey the Ghost". Our son loves to point, look, and laugh at the calender, which I think gives me a little motivation each evening.
    doesn't sound goofy to me. sometimes a visual representation of what your doing is a great reminder, and it sounds like it's helping to keep you in check. it took my several tries before I was able to kick it for good in June 2006

keep up the good work!

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    I just got a quality e smoke from a tobacco store with charger and extra battery for 40 bucks.

They hooked me up with a 10 pack of the strong full flavor refills that are included with the deal.

The ten pack equals a carton or more of reg cigarettes and I'm just now half way thru them.

I do cheat and still smoke reg smokes but have cut down ALOT from what I'm used to.

Not quite the same as a real smoke, but as close as you can get to the real thing IMHO.

Stay away from the blue tip brand as there are is no nicotine in their product.

It's for people who want to look cool smoking in non smoking places.

Only water vapor in their refills.

Top Bottom