• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    From what I've experienced of Chinese Mausers, if it's 8mm there's a good chance it wasn't produced as a smooth bore but was rather worn out from abuse and use. Is it truly smooth, or is it very heavily pitted with no signs of rifling?

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    That is definitely not a mum, but I believe now a cherry blossom.

A buddy of mine who is much more of a history nut than a gun nut did some reading. It would appear that some of the Type 30's had their bores bored out and would fire blanks for training purposes.

However, I did some research online (didn't save the link:rolleyes:) and it showed 8mm wooden bullets being used. That would be better for a trainee I would think. It would at least let them see something hitting downrange and a better feel for the kick of a rifle. I would presume that a wooden projectile would still be safe IF the rifle were fully functional, but I would double check this with a good gunsmith that knows his C&R's.

I don't recall but when did Big Brother start requiring import marks? My friends books said a lot of these North Chinese rifles were imported back in the 80's, not in the best of shape. That may(?) give some idea as to eliminating at least some variables as to when it arrived.

Regards,

Doug

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I think that this rifle might be a good one to get the NRA involved. They could probably tell you everything about it that you'd ever want to know. Here is an excerpt from the NRA website: The NRA does not provide firearm values. However, if you have technical questions about your gun, a Dope Bag service is available to NRA members. Send your written questions to the NRA Dope Bag at: The American Rifleman, 
11250 Waples Mill Road,
 Fairfax, VA 22030. Be sure to include your member number in the top right-hand corner and a self-addressed stamped envelope. The appropriate research will be conducted and your questions will be answered in writing.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Broskins4323, take your rifle in to Falls City Firearms in Clarksville, and let Rick give you his opinion of it.

That would be a lot better than trying to pick out details from photos on line.

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    A friend of mine has one that his grandfather brought back from Okinawa in 1945 after the invasion of the island. He kept it all that time and it passed from 1st born to 1st born male of the family. While he was deployed to Iraq a few years back I kidnapped it, and took it to another buddy of mine that does gunsmithing work. We spent a few hours restoring it back to as good of a condition as possible. He actually had a few of the stripper clips, if that is what they are called with some rounds in his collection. We were planning on surprising my friend when his tour was over with a session at the range. But after thinking about it being a family keepsake, and a 70+ year old, poorly made rifle.. we decided it would make a really nice wall hanger. I did find a bayonet and scabbard to fit it as well.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Broskins4323, take your rifle in to Falls City Firearms in Clarksville, and let Rick give you his opinion of it.

That would be a lot better than trying to pick out details from photos on line.

Do Not even step in that store... 1st there is all this free parking, Then the guy behind the counter will start off acting so nice to you talking about guns and such... then WHAM, 4 to 6 hours will have passed and all you will have done is "BS" ed about guns and topics of the day...

Then others will come in and you will start talking with them.. And they will bring in Guns to show and tell. BAM more wasted time. And then, here is where the guy really sticks it to you.. he will leave guns laying around the store that are so low priced you will have to buy a couple... Oh the Humanity...

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A friend of mine has one that his grandfather brought back from Okinawa in 1945 after the invasion of the island. He kept it all that time and it passed from 1st born to 1st born male of the family. While he was deployed to Iraq a few years back I kidnapped it, and took it to another buddy of mine that does gunsmithing work. We spent a few hours restoring it back to as good of a condition as possible. He actually had a few of the stripper clips, if that is what they are called with some rounds in his collection. We were planning on surprising my friend when his tour was over with a session at the range. But after thinking about it being a family keepsake, and a 70+ year old, poorly made rifle.. we decided it would make a really nice wall hanger. I did find a bayonet and scabbard to fit it as well.

Please Please Please tell me you didn't bubba a WWII bringback!:bat:

Top Bottom