• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!

Searchers find deputy wounded with assault rifle in Ariz. area used by drug, human smugglers

By BOB CHRISTIE

The Associated Press

PHOENIX

A sheriff's deputy was shot and wounded Friday after encountering a group of suspected illegal immigrants who apparently had been hauling bales of marijuana along a major smuggling corridor in the Arizona desert — a violent episode that comes amid a heated national debate over immigration.
    State and federal law enforcement agencies deployed helicopters and scores of officers in pursuit of the suspects after the deputy was shot with an AK-47 on Friday afternoon, and the search continued into the night. Deputy Louie Puroll, 53, had a chunk of skin torn from just above his left kidney, but the wound was not serious and he was doing fine.
    The shooting was likely to add fuel to an already fiery national debate sparked last week by the signing of an Arizona law aimed at cracking down on illegal immigration in the state.
    Puroll was found in the desert after a frantic hourlong search, suffering from a gunshot wound, Pinal County sheriff's Lt. Tamatha Villar said. He was reported to be in good condition Friday night at Casa Grande Regional Medical Center.
    Villar said Puroll had been performing smuggling interdiction work before finding the bales of marijuana and encountering the five suspected illegal immigrants, two armed with rifles.
    "He was out on his routine daily patrol in the area when he encountered a load of marijuana out in the desert. He obviously confronted the individuals and took fire," Villar told The Associated Press. "I was speaking with him just a bit ago, and he's doing fantastic."
    The deputy was alone about five miles from a rest stop along Interstate 8, about halfway between Phoenix and Tucson. The area is a well-known smuggling corridor for drugs and illegal immigrants headed from Mexico to Phoenix and the U.S. interior.
    "Over the past 12 months we've seen an increase in the amount of drugs, and an increase in violence that has been going on in this particular corridor," Villar told KPNX.
    "We've had increasing concerns in this area about being outmanned and outgunned, and unfortunately this evening, this is coming true," he said.
    The shooting came as Arizona grapples with backlash over its enactment of a tough new law targeting illegal immigration. Civil rights activists, concerned the law will lead to racial profiling, have called for a boycott of the state.
    The law signed by Gov. Jan Brewer last week is supported by many in the state, which has become a major gateway for drug smuggling and human trafficking from Mexico.
    Its passage came amid increasing anger in Arizona about violence, drug smugglers, drop houses and other problems caused by poor border security.
    Villar said the search for the suspects involved numerous helicopters from state and federal law enforcement agencies and scores of officers near Interstate 8 and Arizona 84 about 50 miles south of Phoenix.
    "The deputy is a search-and-rescue deputy, so its not uncommon for them to work those areas A) looking for drugs and B) looking for people who need assistance out there," Villar said. "Obviously its a high-traffic area for drug- and human-smuggling."

It's a good thing he didn't shoot back or the illegals would have sued and the Federal Prosecutor would have sent his butt to prison.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Its sad that the Federal government is willing to lay down the lives of local law enforcement and put them in life or death situations by letting - no - encouraging illegal immigrants that wish to do harm to our nation - and EVERY single one of them do - to come on over.

The day that the government gives the illegals living here amnesty, is going to begin a very dark period my friends. With an extra 10 - 20 million secured votes for democrats at the stroke of a pen, there will no longer be an America.

I can't imagine having to be a cop down there right now.....

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The first problem is the stupid, unsuccessful, lost "war on drugs". When will politicians learn that you cannot win a war against inanimate objects, lifestyle conditions, or worse, behaviors?

The "war on drugs" is simply Prohibition rewritten. That only lasted 14 years before it was seen to have failed and partly undone, leaving organized crime in its wake.
    The "war on poverty" of LBJ cost untold numbers of zeroes after dollar signs and we succeeded in taking those dollars away from some folks, but guess what? :facepalm: WE STILL HAVE POVERTY!

The "war on terror", like each of the others named above, is unwinnable; there is no one to surrender to us, no one with whom to discuss terms, no one to be paraded in the streets on the way to execution. (We had Saddam, but he's gone now, and terrorism still continues. Does anyone think parading the decapitated head of Osama will end the suicide bombings, hijackings, or the pervasive fear-condition? For anyone who answered "yes", you do realize that this is not the Land of Make-Believe that you get to through the trolley in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, right?

The second problem is the illegal trespassers, however, solve the first problem (decriminalize the putting of substances into peoples' own bodies at their own choice and option and instead, punish behaviors that actually do harm to those who do not choose the harm being done to them) and you solve the second at the same time.

While I am saddened at this officer's injury, if he was not trying to serve the greater good by doing his job... Who would be?

Blessings,
    Bill

closer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    indy
    The shooter was just looking for some work "that Americans won't do." Doesn't everyone carry an AK on a job interview?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Secure the borders. Arrest illegal immigrants. Revise immigration laws so they are appropriate to the times. Enforce the laws as written. The rights of Citizens are protected for Citizens only. Non-citizens or illegal residents, do not have these rights. Yes, they have human rights and must be treated as human beings. But they are not entitled to all the rights of Citizens until they have their Citizenship.:twocents:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Bill, Bapak, if you guys are going to confuse the issue with FACTS we're just going to have to redirect everyones attention to something more important like. . . . . .. . . . .um. . . .. . . . .little help here people. . . .

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I guess we will get serious about border security when some spectacular terrorist attack occurs in a major metropolitan area. Until that time, the politicians will continue to pay lip service to, we the sheeple, while turning a blind eye.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    In a further update on this story, two nationally recognised forensic pathologists are casting doubt on the deputies version of events, based on their examination of the photos of his wound. If it's true, I have to wonder what the purpose of this exercise was. Just something to get people riled up? Funding? Or just a messed up individual? I don't know, but it does raise questions.

AP: Arizona deputy’s shooting by drug-runners may have been hoax | Raw Story

001-0926125313-Deputy-Hoax.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Mr. J, shhhh, don't you know the police never lie.:D

I think we can all speculate about why the deputy lied, but it would only be a guess.

Wait and see why this cover story came to be told.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    In a further update on this story, two nationally recognised forensic pathologists are casting doubt on the deputies version of events, based on their examination of the photos of his wound. If it's true, I have to wonder what the purpose of this exercise was. Just something to get people riled up? Funding? Or just a messed up individual? I don't know, but it does raise questions.

I could do without the close up of his butt crack hair!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

Just about what I would expect from our anti cop, anti authority, anti government poster. Like someone can tell from a photo about a gunshot wound. I am sure this guy probably shot himself in the back:n00b: Looks like it is time to use my ignore option....again!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just about what I would expect from our anti cop, anti authority, anti government poster. Like someone can tell from a photo about a gunshot wound.

1. People, including the police, lie about why and how they were shot.

2. Every day, police testify about photos of gunshots. No reason why someone else cannot do this as well.

3. Wait and see what develops.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Its sad that the Federal government is willing to lay down the lives of local law enforcement and put them in life or death situations by letting - no - encouraging illegal immigrants that wish to do harm to our nation - and EVERY single one of them do - to come on over.

The day that the government gives the illegals living here amnesty, is going to begin a very dark period my friends. With an extra 10 - 20 million secured votes for democrats at the stroke of a pen, there will no longer be an America.

I can't imagine having to be a cop down there right now.....

That is the key to the whole problem. The government encouraging illegal invasion. Start with the elections and get rid of those who have Lorded over us for too long. Send a message to Washington.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just about what I would expect from our anti cop, anti authority, anti government poster. Like someone can tell from a photo about a gunshot wound. I am sure this guy probably shot himself in the back:n00b: Looks like it is time to use my ignore option....again!
    Well, you're welcome to use the ignore function if you wish. This is not cop bashing. It's an update to a story that spawned multiple threads on this site. If you read anti-cop into this, then that's just you're opinion. As for the photo, the two pathologists have seen more than their share of wounds and are likely in court testifying about more than a few time a year. I'd say their qualifications are pretty good on things like this. I'm willing to wait and see what develops. I cast no aspersions on this officer, at all. The fact that you see bashing means nothing to me. It's just an update. As for the source, monkey...if you'd bothered to even look you would have seen that the story was sourced from the AP.

Top Bottom